Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Oh yeah university lectures are fine, I mean the videos by randos. Bad for any history but doubly so for early Korea.

e: although I say that, but even the academic stuff isn't free of biases; there's just so much in Korean history that isn't settled. unless you find a source that's explicitly going over all the different sides of the argument, assume what you hear is at least somewhat biased and don't be surprised if you hear something later that seems to contradict it. For example, I listened to a lecturer for iirc a relatively prestigious university (can't find the specifics now, thanks iTunes U) nonchalantly say the Han Commanderies (the part of Korea ruled by Han China 2000 years ago) were just trading outposts with really limited reach; not flat out "wrong," but definitely just one side of the argument in a very open debate. The academic books are generally much better about at least paying lip service to multiple arguments than it's necessarily even feasible for a lecturer (no matter how knowledgeable they actually are) to be.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

tino posted:

I converted Korea, A History by Bong Yuon Choy (1971) and am working through the ancient sessions. Still looking for more good ancient Korean history book by non-Korean that provide an outside prospective and put more emphasis on the older Three Kingdom/Shamanism period.

Are you okay with academic books? Because generalist books that cover ancient Korea in more than the broadest sense straight up do not exist in English. Even for academic ones the choices are sparse for general stuff; if you want "good" books you need to delve into specific topics. The Archaeology of Korea by Sarah Nelson is probably the closest to what you're looking for though; Archaeology of East Asia: The Rise of Civilization in China, Korea and Japan by Gina Barnes is also decent and much more up to date but with less focus on Korea, as you might expect from the title. Still way more on its early history than the all-encompassing Korean history books have though.

Incidentally in general, I'd also really recommend against books from before about the 1990s for ancient Korean history (and all, but particularly ancient). Korean history in the west in particular was basically based whole cloth on colonial-era Japanese propaganda (with a dash of dissent from reactionary Korean historians that was often not much better), and it took Korea starting to matter internationally for it to get a second look. Korea studies has grown as a field hugely in the past few decades but before then things were pretty dismal.

Also yes I would absolutely be interested in learning how to get the text to speech thing working, thanks for sticking it out and figuring out how to do it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
So “prostitution” ring doesn’t really seem like the right term here

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Willo567 posted:

Wow, I am a loving idiot

That image has been getting posted as though it’s real for years now so that’s not really on you.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Raenir Salazar on China posted:

... let Korea align with its more natural and historical ally and patron.

You made this same point back like 2 years ago and you're still letting what you read on premodern Sino-Korean history influence your perception of the present day too much. Whatever premodern friendship the two countries may have had,* it basically got left in its entirety in the 19th century. Modern Koreans absolutely do not look to China as a natural ally, and are far more likely to look at that historical alliance and patronage negatively than positively. And I don't know where you're getting the idea that relations are good; things have been extremely strained ever since the THAAD stuff. It's a bit eclipsed by the more recent Japan trade war but still.

*which was also way more turbulent than is usually depicted.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Silver2195 posted:

Do you have any articles about this? From the Ancient History thread in A/T I got the impression it was more often the reverse (e.g., Korean nationalists downplaying historical Chinese cultural influence on Korea). China has its own brand of nationalist pseudohistory, of course, but I didn’t realize ancient Korea played much of a role in it.

There is lots of that too. In Korean popular history and certain facets of academia there is a lot of playing down of Chinese influence (much the same as in Japan).

On the flip side, the traditional view of Korean history is in large part built on a foundation of what was essentially Japanese propaganda done during the imperial days, that set out to make Korea appear as backward and subservient to China throughout its entire existence as they possibly could (so they could better justify ruling it as a colony). This has gotten challenged a bunch in recent decades in Korean and western academia, but Chinese academics are generally pretty happy to double down on it. Korea absolutely did draw a huge amount from China, but it was also its own distinct civilization in a huge number of ways, much of which generally goes unappreciated.

boredsatellite posted:

Goguryeo has always been a contentious topic overall

Well part of the thing is that for the longest time it wasn't, it was recognized as a Korean state by essentially everybody for like a thousand years.

It goes beyond Goguryeo too, China claims every single classically-viewed-as-Korean state that had parts in Chinese borders as being Chinese. And most states in border regions in other parts of China too, for that matter, although it's not always as simple as them saying they were ethnically Han Chinese.

For Goguryeo, here's an article on it by an academic by the way: http://hnn.us/articles/7077.html

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I’d like to think there’s a mix of perspectives especially since I’m one of them in that thread, but it definitely does often swing that way yeah.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think I'm providing a fairly nuanced perspective that in that I think its wrong for westerners to blindly assume South Korea, especially a unified (this is VERY specific context for my posts, I am not claiming S. Korea as matters stand will Ally with China "on it's own" or whatever) as being a threat to Chinese interests. When there's plenty of historical evidence in "broad strokes" that things could easily tilt the other way. I'd put Korean unification up there with the fall of the Berlin wall or the Korean War in terms of momentous historical importance and it is essentially a unprecedented historical event, with unforeseeable ramifications and anything is possible.

I am merely stating that it is plausible that China could thread that needle to extract a beneficial relationship from a unified Korean state, and there aren't all that many reasons for such a unified Korean state to see China as a hostile threat to such an extent it would continue to rely upon US military presence. It's basically arrogance and hubris the way some people just assume its impossible when it's like basically a coin flip currently still very much in the air.

Things definitely could theoretically end up so that Korea, unified or even the south, ends up aligned with China. Who knows what'll happen in the decades to come.

It's basing that off the premodern relationship that's silly.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
If you said that instead I would also think it was a silly thing to say, yes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
He's not really just a rando, Ask a Korean is actually surprisingly influential considering he started as a wordpress blog, a whole lot of journalists follow him.

Honestly not that surprisingly, he regularly has some of the best explanations for South Korean political stuff in English. Given a lot of the actual journalists don't even speak Korean that's not necessarily a high bar though.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There's been a bit of a stir lately after a Harvard professor (who notably, while white, grew up in Japan and won Japanese sponsorship) wrote a journal article asserting Comfort Women were willing prostitutes:

https://twitter.com/JeannieSGersen/status/1358267692256493568

Apparently the guy also wrote a paper a couple of years ago, relying on period Japanese reports (lol?), that asserts basically that the Koreans killed in the Kanto Massacre deserved it. Anyway he's been getting pretty resounding pushback both from outraged Koreans and from a bunch of academics, but Harvard has yet to even comment which has some people pretty peeved.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Well this came out of nowhere

https://twitter.com/BluRoofPolitics/status/1474180753902772225

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Seems pretty likely at this point, yep...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The World Scout Jamboree was set to happen in Jeolla and has been a complete debacle. The organizers + Jeolla government made completely inadequate preparations, and that's been compounded by a 100 degree heatwave; thousands of scouts have fallen ill and a whole bunch hospitalized, and after a bunch of countries started pulling out their scouts early the entire event got canceled ahead of a typhoon that just touched down. Now there's like 45,000 scouts scrambling to get out of the country early causing entirely predictable (but not accommodated) chaos.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/08/09/south-korea-scout-jamboree-heatwave-preparations/

It's hard to do it justice, it just keeps getting worse and worse. It got set up on a patch of reclaimed mudflats and the local Jeolla government was eager to push the event as a marketing thing for their new development, to the point it seems like in spite of this event being planned for like half a decade, most of the planning went into that, with the event spaces only getting started on in 2022, and not remotely finished in time; with the summer humidity and heatwave, it turned right back into a swamp.
It's all been kind of baffling and infuriating; it's like the worst parts of Korean management culture on display at a world event. There's a lot of hand wringing going on now about how this is gonna tarnish Korea's national image and the government is having to put on emergency support measures.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 9, 2023