Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

pentyne posted:

During the escape the one guy died across some electrified wires, and it was the only thing that let the other guy escape.

Pretty sure that's from the story of the guy from Camp 14. He wasn't a border guard.

fe: Then again, that might be the only plausible way to escape from the prison camps. I could be wrong on this.

Oldsmobile posted:

I've been wanting to go to NK for years now. It's not that hard, but the flights are actually pretty expensive. Thought apparently once there, you don't really have anything to spend money on except booze.

Go after it falls. Try not to fund any more despotic monarchies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

TheImmigrant posted:

North Koreans are for all purposes universally literate, in Korean. They are also conditioned to absolute obedience. Provide them a modest increase in standard of living, and you've got the ultimate menial worker. South Korea's economy is based heavily on manufacturing.

Sounding a little Sheng-Ji Yang there, mate.

One would think that the oodles of mineral wealth locked in the North would be a large enough long-term asset to sweeten the deal, but dealing with the aftermath of refugee of exodus really is an enormous problem.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

So what you're saying is that it's easier to build stuff when you don't need to take into account the people who live there, workers or their interests. Fascinating. Can't wait to see that new Nicaragua canal get put out in record time!

Works for corporations, who's to say it won't work for countries?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Spacewolf posted:

How would that, politically, be tenable? How would South Koreans justify it to themselves, let alone the international community? Plus, how would it not build up incredible resentment among the (former) North Koreans?

Not to be the fly in the ointment, but I'd say the entire Nork population has been conditioned to hate and condemn South Korea already through intprop. The only way they'd be even further pressed into this false vendeta would be for Park Geun-hye to take a steaming dump into Dear Leader's gaping mouth.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Europe's a little bigger than UK/France/Germany and the nordics, lad. There's a helluva lotta poverty in the Mediterranean, for instance.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Somebody is paying them, I believe.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

As opposed to North Korea's utterly peaceful and benevolent military posturing, of course.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Well I suppose a good thought exercise would be what the US would do if Iran fired a missile into the Panamint Range.

It's not populated!

ANY DAY NOW

Cliff Racer posted:

Those were annual exercises announced in advance that have gone on for decades now, what was so provocative about them in 2010 that was not in 2009, or 2008 or 2007, etc? Your charge that the south was firing shots over the line is bunk as well, they had been firing to the soutwest- into the Yellow Sea. The US and South Korea have likewise maintained the NNL for decades now and thats not going to change, its not controversial with anyone but the north, who's alternate proposal is a ridiculous farce.

Furthermore, these aspects of the story have been covered extensively by the US media at the time of the attack (for instance, I actually knew pretty much what you were going to be saying when I asked for clarification- only doing so to allow us to have argument without leaving the rest of the thread behind.) They did an exemplary job of it.

edit: And sorry if any of this has been covered already, the first part of this post was written before I went to work, the second part 10 hours later when I came home.

Good stuff, mate. I'd have written something similar if I could've found that alternative proposal graphic, I remember seeing something similar on the BBC.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You don't get to claim legal ownership of other people's homes because they happen to be near your coast.

Tell that to Argentina.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, for your claim to be valid, that island has to be in a different hemisphere.

As opposed to being economically and militarily capable of capturing a neighboring island that is being administrated by a power 13,000 km away.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

See also: China, Japan, Korea regarding the Takeshima and Senkaku Islands.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

There's a non-verified satellite image of a North Korean small-arms firing range with what appear to be targets set up 30M away from a line of things that do have AA gun profiles.

And a bunch of buses.

Honestly, I wouldn't put it past them.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

How? Are they going to start machinegunning masses of people trying to cross the Yalu river or what? Because that is what it would take, and that is also pretty drat bad PR.

It's China.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Watch as nothing happens.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ooooh, gotta wonder what they said.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

Artillery strikes on DMZ broadcasting stations will start in ~7 hours. Unless the broadcast cease. According to KJU

Can't wait for the excuse they give when they lose that particular game of chicken.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Same point was made in Terry Pratchett's Night Watch. Revolutionaries tend to try to cause public furor by claiming the Post Office, the Presidential Palace, etc. But if they really wanted to press home the issue, laying claim to logistical/food warehouses and being generous with the rationing would get real results.

Lesson being: People don't care about who governs them half the time, but if they miss dinner you can bet your rear end they'll suddenly have a beef to make (pun semi-intended).

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you proposing a solution where Japan acknowledges guilt for atrocities they have ample opportunity to deny responsibility for? That will never happen.

Because it's already happened, and has been happening for at least a generation?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Lessee here

quote:

June 22, 1965: Minister of Foreign Affairs Shiina Etsusaburo said to the people of South Korea: "In our two countries' long history there have been unfortunate times, it is truly regrettable and we are deeply remorseful"

quote:

August 26, 1982: Chief Cabinet Secretary Kiichi Miyazawa said to the people of the Republic of Korea: "1. The Japanese Government and the Japanese people are deeply aware of the fact that acts by our country in the past caused tremendous suffering and damage to the peoples of Asian countries, including the Republic of Korea (ROK) and China, and have followed the path of a pacifist state with remorse and determination that such acts must never be repeated. Japan has recognized, in the Japan-ROK Joint Communique, of 1965, that the 'past relations are regrettable, and Japan feels deep remorse,'

quote:

1989: Prime Minister Takeshita Noboru, in a speech in the Japanese Diet, said:"As we have made clear previously at repeated opportunities, the Japanese government and the Japanese people are deeply conscious of the fact that the actions of our country in the past caused suffering and loss to many people in neighboring countries. Starting from our regret and resolve not to repeat such things a second time, we have followed a course as a "Peace Nation" since then. This awareness and regret should be emphasized especially in the relationship between our countries and the Korean peninsula, our nearest neighbors both geographically and historically. At this opportunity as we face a new situation in the Korean peninsula, again, to all peoples of the globe, concerning the relationship of the past, we want to express our deep regret and sorrow (Speech in the Japanese Diet).

quote:

April 18, 1990: Minister of Foreign Affairs Taro Nakayama said to the people of South Korea: "Japan is deeply sorry for the tragedy in which these (Korean) people were moved to Sakhalin not of their own free will but by the design of the Japanese government and had to remain there after the conclusion of the war" (188th National Diet Session Lower House Committee of Foreign Affairs).

quote:

May 25, 1990: Prime Minister Toshiki Kaifu, in a meeting with President Roh Tae Woo, said: "I would like to take the opportunity here to humbly reflect upon how the people of the Korean Peninsula went through unbearable pain and sorrow as a result of our country's actions during a certain period in the past and to express that we are sorry" (Summit meeting with President Roh Tae Woo in Japan).

quote:

January 17, 1992: Prime Minister Kiichi Miyazawa, at a policy speech on a visit to South Korea, said:. "What we should not forget about relationship between our nation and your nation is a fact that there was a certain period in the thousands of years of our company when we were the victimizer and you were the victim. I would like to once again express a heartfelt remorse and apology for the unbearable suffering and sorrow that you experienced during this period because of our nation's act." Recently the issue of the so-called 'wartime comfort women' is being brought up. I think that incidents like this are seriously heartbreaking, and I am truly sorry".

quote:

July 6, 1992. Chief Cabinet Secretary Koichi Kato said: "The Government again would like to express its sincere apology and remorse to all those who have suffered indescribable hardship as so-called 'wartime comfort women,' irrespective of their nationality or place of birth. With profound remorse and determination that such a mistake must never be repeated, Japan will maintain its stance as a pacifist nation and will endeavor to build up new future-oriented relations with the Republic of Korea and with other countries and regions in Asia. As I listen to many people, I feel truly grieved for this issue. By listening to the opinions of people from various directions, I would like to consider sincerely in what way we can express our feelings to those who suffered such hardship" (Statement by Chief Cabinet Secretary Koichi Kato on the Issue of the so-called "Wartime Comfort Women" from the Korean Peninsula).

quote:

June 23, 1996: Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto said in a press conference: "Hashimoto mentioned the aspects of Japan's colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula such as the forced Japanization of Korean people's name and commented "It is beyond imagination how this injured the hearts of Korean people" Hashimoto also touched on the issue of Korean comfort women and said "Nothing injured the honor and dignity of women more than this and I would like to extend words of deep remorse and the heartfelt apology" (Joint press conference at summit meeting with President Kim Young Sam in South Korea).

quote:

October 8, 1996: Emperor Akihito said in a speech at a dinner with the South Korean president, Kim Dae Jung: "There was a period when our nation brought to bear great sufferings upon the people of the Korean Peninsula." "The deep sorrow that I feel over this will never be forgotten"

quote:

October 8, 1998: Prime Minister Keizō Obuchi said in a declaration: "Looking back on the relations between Japan and the Republic of Korea during this century, Prime Minister Obuchi regarded in a spirit of humility the fact of history that Japan caused, during a certain period in the past, tremendous damage and suffering to the people of the Republic of Korea through its colonial rule, and expressed his deep remorse and heartfelt apology for this fact. President Kim accepted with sincerity this statement of Prime Minister Obuchi's recognition of history and expressed his appreciation for it. He also expressed his view that the present calls upon both countries to overcome their unfortunate history and to build a future-oriented relationship based on reconciliation as well as good-neighborly and friendly cooperation" (Japan-South Korea Joint Declaration A New Japan-South Korea Partnership towards the Twenty-first Century).

quote:

Pretend I posted the stuff from the 00's and 10's here

Nah.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

If their artillery still works, their subs have enough diesel and... wait, Hyundai? Is that the main benefactor of that cross-border factory?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

One comes to the opinion that SK may well weigh up the cost of economically reconstructing the North vs the inevitable sanctions that would result from slaughtering soldiers and civilians en masse in order to only have the infrastructure to worry about in terms of rebuilding.

The sanctions would be fuckin' small fry.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Koramei posted:

:wtc: what the gently caress is this

Oooooh! I never* get to link these!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realpolitik

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_realism

*For an extremely hazy definition of 'never'.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Or ship the troops in with commercial airlines and pretend they're just tourists or maybe motivated locals.

It worked for Russia!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Arms Dealers, however, are quite well known for giving change.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Rent-A-Cop posted:

The only challenge would be to see if the USAF could kill them before they starved to death.

The North Korean Army is pretty much the only part of the state apparatus that is even semi-functional and if it ever mobilized the whole country would start to starve.

Pretty much. Developed First World countries can be ranked according to how long (In terms of raw supplies, due to the assumption that production will be targeted by the opponent) a country could wage total war for. I can't find the study, but the USA was placed at about 10 years, North Korea barely managed a month. They'll run out of fuel first, then water, then food. Then, if they try for a protracted defense, we'll see some pretty massive starvation.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

sparatuvs posted:

North Korea is saying that they have apparently developed a Hydrogen Bomb.

Pretty ridicules, maybe a show of force after the reported instability in Pyongyang last week.

Can you link the reports on instability?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Huh. Kinda forgot they had helicopters for a second.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Republicans posted:

Who's left for them to do business with that would be sad to see their regime go?

They ship a lot of their weaponry off to other third-world countries. The Iraq occupation found a lot of North Korean Artillery in use by the local forces.

Y'know, before they were B-52'd to hell and back.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Smilin Joe Fission posted:

a few decades of steady growth

China's economic and military power

Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Don't get me wrong, most of what you've said is fairly valid (Although China has mentioned via diplomatic channels that they wouldn't mind a reunited Korea under southern administration, so long as the Yanks didn't start building more bases in the north) but the idea that China is going to grow at all after the decade is out is pretty laughable. Even discounting the current building bubble, stock market freezes, endemic corruption and ecosystem collapse aside.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah, UN report came out. They were experimenting with enrichment for a bit, but there appeared to be no evidence they were actively pursuing a bomb.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Gotta wonder how much Chinese aid has been cut for this. Even the pro-Beijing news outlets aren't reporting any happy feelings.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

They ain't that large.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Like the rest of its industry, North Korea's mining is pretty backward, which is part of why, If I'm not mistaken, China actually prefers South Korea to North Korea as a trading partner for minerals. (I don't even want to think about how horrible it must be to be a North Korean coal miner.)

Ooooh, the guy that was born, raised and escaped from a Concentration camp told stories about the miners. Half the kids that worked there had missing fingers or feet because the cart above them on the ramp was released and crushed their limbs on the rails (Which they usually used to pull themselves up the ramp). Then there'd be the gas explosions, asphyxiation, cave-ins, the quality of the tools (If you had tools) and so forth.

Then, of course, you're a Nork kid wearing rags, eating gruel, catching rats for protein and half-dead from dysentery. God help you if you grow into puberty and happen to be female while the guards are watching.

So yeah, as existences go it's not exactly on the higher end of the scale.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

Are we at DEFCON Ford or Baldwin? God help us if we're at DEFCON Affleck...

We're currently at DEFCON Baldrick.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Please tell me it involves a cunning plan.

Cunning? Planning? God lord sir, this is D&D!

Nonono, we're at the stage where we try -with the utmost patience- to infer upon certain others that there are qualities that they may wish to try. Thinking for themselves, Advanced mathematics, possibly elementary dressmaking.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Their racial purity and emperor veneration schlemiel bears a very strong parallel with the crap the IJA trotted out after the Korean annexation. Otherwise it's just garden-variety fascism.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

We can always flood our end with boiled porridge.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

To be honest, having to shovel out 2-3000 corpses an hour out of an improperly shored tunnel does seem like one hell of a chore.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

waitwhatno posted:

IIRC NK already managed to launch a fridge-sized satellite into orbit, a couple of years ago. The technology required for that is pretty much identical to the one required for ICBMs. (That's why Sputnik I was such a big deal.)

It immediately began tumbling, which was pretty drat funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I sorta had this vision of the States saying 'Yeah sure, no more Foal Eagle' to the cheers and triumph of the average Korean elite, only for there to be a sudden silence as the South then immediately signed on for military drills with the new Japanese SDF.