Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

To what extent does this thread think that Korean public opinion, or at least the Left segment of that public opinion, would accept alliance/alignment with Japan in the best case scenario? Because if you reran the last 30 years, the best case scenario I think would be something like

One thing you fail to understand is that this isn't a left or right position. My parents who are hard rear end conservatives loathe the Japanese for the inaction, the lies and the constant aggression from them on various social issues ranging from claiming dokdo is their territory to asking us to stop creating comfort women statues.

Our right wing soulless conservative politicians tends to be the one sucking up to Japan for the money and because of various connections so I can see why you would make that mistake since they were in power before and made those loving awful deals with Japan

The liberals tends to want the most basic things done by Japan essentially. Something along the line which Germany has done.

Anyway all is moot considering Japan keeps voting in the far right nationalists which keeps on making the situation worse so they can burn so all I care. Hopefully the tourism boycott lasts for a long time

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

Comfort women issues have not historically been brought up by the South Korean government at all. Those comfort women statues are the result of grassroots feminist activism.

And still they complained to us about how they must be taken down. They keep on doing that to countries and areas that put up memorials for comfort woman. Their behavior is disappointing but expected

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

It's more recent than Japan, but I still hear daily "Japan No!!!"

Also, apparently the Park supporters think that Mun Jae-in is trying to betray and sell South Korea to North Korea. There's a picture of a banner of him standing obediently next to Kim's desk in one of my trillion of photos I posted.

My mother isn't a Park support but she's a conservative that believes in that

In believe that is caused by the youtube garbage she's been watching

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I mean there are total problems with our countries mental healthcare, education system and other reasons why suicide rates are so drat high in this country.

No need to make up reasons. Korea idol culture opened up once a famous dude was like "yes I'm dating someone, I'm in my 30s I need to marry" in a controversy way back and people kinda accepted it. Thats the point a lot of dating stuff changed in Korean idol stuff. It's still hella toxic as hell for other reasons but lets keep it to facts.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

yeah people just want the whole dumb rhetoric fight to end.

People were in favor of NK slowly opening up to trade and other things if the US talks went well but lol Trump.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Its honestly hilarious how westerners keep trying to shoehorn us with China really

People in Korea loathe China these days, especially due to their attitude to Korea. Its been strained for a drat long time, such as when China started coopting ancient Korean history as their own.

A lot people including myself just prefer having the US here just to push the Chinese influence out.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Articles are mostly in Korean so I guess this wiki page will have to do

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goguryeo_controversies

Goguryeo has always been a contentious topic overall

It's sensitive because China has a very "your history is our history" feel to a lot of their actions which understandably puts a lot of people on edge

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 2, 2020

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Mekchu posted:

You can also add in part of the loathing is also aimed at China's air pollution that ends up on the peninsula due to the Asian Dust phenomenon (which is only exacerbated by Korea's own pollution issues up in the Incheon/Seoul area). Then you can also include stuff like that Pro-hong kong sign in Korea (by a foreign student) getting defaced by mainland China students at one of the universities where they wrote stuff like "your mom's a comfort woman" which, if anyone knows a bit about the Japanese occupation is a hugely terrible thing that happened to Koreans during then.

Oh definitely. Every summer the dust becomes a massive problem and you can feel people getting pissed at China

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Oh jeez whose loving bright idea was that

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah after getting used to Korean KFC it was disappointing to see how abysmal the American one was.

What the hell America

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Hah get hosed conservatives

HAH

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

SK is also denying the reports so far.

CNN lmao

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

South Koreans living near the place are also angry/frustrated as well seeing as how it results in litter in the sea and the ground that they have to clean up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The nice thing about the trump administration is that they are willing to negotiate on the limits of the missile range unlike the previous govs (because either they have no idea what they are giving us or because they have to to maintain the alliance after poo poo trump says.)

2nd time so far each giving us more freedom on it. Its super nice