Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
I live in Gimpo. In the extremely unlikely event that anything does happen, how hosed am I by living right by an airport less than an hour from the border?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

Depends, how do you feel about the Kims?

The glorious Juche ideal must spread to all nations!

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

pengun101 posted:

I just finished watching this and i feel torn. I think he is traitors piece of poo poo who ran from the army because he couldn't take it and he gets fat while the rest of the populous starves,But i can see why he did it, he had a lovely life. It sad that his kids now buy into all the bullshit.

Edit: he also comes off as a pervy weirdo and i kinda believe Jenkins stories about the abuse. Joe comes off at a useful idiot by the end of it.

A big issue with the North Korean system is that it endeavors to make everyone into villains for easier control, but most especially anyone who tries to escape. It might have loosened up in previous years, but in the past the standard punishment for a defector was for their entire family out to three degrees in all directions to be thrown into a labor camp. Thus, anyone who wanted to escape had to do so with the knowledge that they were condemning probably dozens of people they knew and loved to death. Not to mention the whole incentive system for ratting out your neighbors, and how elites at the highest levels were expected to violate laws in other countries to make big donations back home.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
The Lonely Planet guide to North Korea is pretty depressing, particularly the part imploring you not to slip away from your guides. For most people, this isn't likely to result in more than a fine, short imprisonment, and then deportation. For your guide, though, you've likely ruined their life. They'll lose their job at least, and might even get shot for what you did.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Chomskyan posted:

The confusion regarding the Yeonpyeong Island incident is that it was a response to deliberate provocations by the US and South Korea. The US and South Korea conducted a large scale military exercise in the area and fired munitions, deliberately, into areas that North Korea claims as territorial waters. Not just waters that should belong to North Korea under customary international law, but territory that is within Northern Limit line ( a sea border drawn by the US which the North has never agreed to under any treaty, nor recognizes). North Korea had repeatedly threatened violent retaliation if munitions were fired within that territory.

The US and South Korea went ahead with the exercises anyways. In doing so they deliberately: 1. mobilized a gigantic military force less than 12 miles off the coast of North Korea 2. fired live munitions into North Korea's territorial waters. What could anyone expected to have happened? It's also important to understand Yeonpyeong Island isn't just inhabited by civilians, it's home to a 1000 man SK marine garrison, which was what the artillery shelling (not rocket attack) was nominally aimed at. Another piece of context that's often missing from the discussion. North Korea's response isn't justifiable, but it is certainly understandable.

Aren't those the same exercises they do every single year on the dot, and every single year they flip out about it? Does an annual dick-waving contest warrant that kind of response, particularly since it's been done every year since the late 90's?

Perhaps the US shouldn't have shot the water like they did, but in what universe is an understandable response to that an attack on a populated area?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Dropping a nuke would be the worst possible outcome for North Korea.

North Korea is already so severely outmatched by South Korea alone that were they to launch an attack, they would be quickly pushed back from whatever gains they made, especially since they're unlikely to achieve total surprise. In the aftermath, it's possible you'd see a Chinese puppet state set up, which might allow at least some of the ruling class to preserve and enrich themselves.

But if they launched a nuke, however or where ever they put it, that chance would be gone forever. The entire world would demand the utter removal of the Nork regime, and you'd probably see North Korea fully absorbed into South Korea, with any surviving officials being rounded up and thrown in jail.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Philthy posted:

Glad I'm not in media right now, all these reporters are right on the DMZ line. That's going to get vaporized by both sides within the first minute of action. At least move to a city 100 miles away or something.

gently caress're you talking about? The DMZ is great. Nice little nature preserve, and the troops are all really nice. The Korean ones have to stand around clenching their fists like Asian terminators. They should be so lucky if they've got a camera crew there if another axe incident happens or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
Things didn't get really, really bad in North Korea until the 90's, though. There were a series of natural disasters that crippled the national infrastructure network, and without Soviet help, they couldn't rebuild it.

Maybe they can finally start to recover if Jong-Un continues along a liberalization path, but it's not like this is the first time they've started something like this. They start it, let it go for a few years, then panic or get angry and shut it all down.