Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Wow a trip to North Korea!! Hope you enjoy the idea of your money going to pay directly for the lifestyles of the people in charge and the support of the government as fun tourists looking for an exciting adventure give them hard currency they're able to use to trade with China. People will be really impressed when you come back to show them the photos of a place they've never been, you will really be defining yourself as an adventurer who isn't afraid of anything!! I'm unable to go myself but I will forward this message to other goons (and maybe a few curvy goonettes ;) ). Good luck and hope you enjoy the unique trip to a dystopian horrorland!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I dunno why you all think that having North Korea be a part of South Korea is against the interests of South Korea. Consider turning the entire North into resource extraction and cheap factory laborers. It's not like they'd consider making it a truly equal part of the country, like extending South Korean minimum wages there or something. You'd be far more likely to see the entire north set up as a sort of Chinese special economic zone where you'd have South Korean rule of law and leadership allowing investment in the north to the benefit of South Korean businesses, with some level of Northern leadership bought off. The economics of it isn't the big problem unless you're thinking this will go like Germany where they try to uplift the entire region to the Southern level in a decade. The politics is much more problematic...

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

You're talking about a serious drain on the South Korean economy that will last at least a couple decades. The notion of South Korean businesses making big profits by exploiting cheap labour is as fanciful as it is cynical. Chronic starvation is, quite literally, a severe handicap to the North Korean workforce, and its infrastructure has been crumbling for decades due to a lack of basic maintenance and replacement parts.

The only parts I agree with you on is that there's no feasible plan for reunification that doesn't have North Korea as a special economic zone for a long time to come, and that yes, it will be difficult to convince South Koreans that they should spend an entire generation eating poo poo so that they might benefit from Korean mining operations in two or three decades.

You're assuming that they will give the North Koreans a standard of living or services equivalent to their own. There's no way that's going to happen, it would bankrupt the state and ruin their industry. Do you really think they're going to rush in and build schools, hospitals, start providing welfare at some kind of equivalent rate? Starvation as a problem would be easy to solve in a year, but I think it's far more likely that North Korea would become an economic colony of the South than anything else. They're not going to want to eat poo poo whatsoever, and I seriously doubt the USA is going to pony up more than a few billion in cash, China even more-so, they don't give a poo poo about anyone without getting something back.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
I'm not sure what you know about manufacturing or what kind of education you imagine people need to sit in a chair for 12 hours and repetitively perform the same motion without saying your true feelings about how much it sucks. North Koreans are born factory workers. Also I like your idea about how people never oppress their own ethnic group, that's very nice.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
North Koreans aren't starving to death by the millions and there'd be even less chance of them doing that if it were unified and had access to international trade. Outside food is in fact probably cheaper than that made domestically. Also lol if you think that moving manufacturing out of the USA has to do with, "workers are too stupid to read the signs" and not "workers are paid 10 times more here than in Asia". I mean listen to that argument... people in the United States are too uneducated to work in a factory, so let's move production to rural China and Vietnam where people are more sophisticated?

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm talking about manufacturing that has been moving from southern states to northern states or Canada, not to Asia.

So the manufacturing problems that you brought up aren't going to matter in regards to Korea because it's high tech manufacturing that requires huge inputs to train workers, not low wage, low skill factory jobs of the sort that would be used in a place like... North Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
So what you're saying is that it's easier to build stuff when you don't need to take into account the people who live there, workers or their interests. Fascinating. Can't wait to see that new Nicaragua canal get put out in record time!