Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

South Korea's military is small and continues to shrink.

:what:

Even with the planned restructuring and reduction of troop numbers over the coming decade, this is not an accurate characterization of the size of the ROK military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

So it seems likely this particular round of sabre rattling is more for domestic consumption in an attempt to shore up KJU's status, rather than one of their usual attempts to extort more food/money?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Well North Korea just announced they tested a thermonuclear device, so I expect we're in for another round of the usual nonsense (but moreso).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

zimboe posted:

Anyone else got any data on this? This could have been a test of Iran's first bomb.

It all fits.

So you're saying George W. Bush was right after all?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Stupid question. but how has a plague/virus/whatever not almost destroyed north korea yet. I doubt they have good healthcare despite what their appologistes attest. I know famine related syndroms and diseies are rampant. I am just surprised their hasn't been a cholera epidemic.

In addition to the factors other have mentioned, it also seems like you're grossly underestimating the importance of basic sanitation measures in preventing things like a cholera outbreak from turning into a full-scale epidemic. Proper sewage disposal, sterilization, and water treatment (via heat, chlorine, UV) do not exactly require super advanced medical infrastructure to implement properly once you have the knowledge. North Korea's development level is more than sufficient for such things, even with the obvious resource and technological deficiencies it suffers. I would also assume that an authoritarian police state that doesn't really give a fig for things like rule of law or human rights could implement some pretty effective monitoring/quarantines in the face of an outbreak if it chose to do so.

LGD fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Mar 4, 2016