Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Korea and Japan reach gentlemen's agreement that as long as you do not announce a bomb, I don't announce a bomb.

Plus, Japan is an aging country with huge debt, soon Japan will have more retired population than working population. Japan is really not a military thread in near future.

Until/unless they build war robots. Or stop being so stubborn about immigration. Both are probably equally unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Haha Japan will be building army pf robots to take care of their retired people.

http://www.parorobots.com/

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

It definitely seems to come up with some frequency.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

None of the other Kim children really have a power base either, though. Any one of them would likely face the same problem that Jong Un has. Recall that Kim Jong Il spent decades under his father building and consolidating his, and largely during more prosperous times, while none of his own children have had that same opportunity. The best another Kim could hope for would probably to be installed as a figurehead puppet for either whoever has currently accumulated the most political capital if they felt for some reason they couldn't or would rather not be the public face of the government, or for a Chinese-backed government. But even then it probably doesn't last. If Jong Un is really out, it's probably over for the main branch Kims.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

South Korea's defense ministry just announced that North Korea is actually planning to invade this year:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/north-korea-planning-war-against-south-unify-two-koreas-says-seoul-1468788

Sounds really silly now I'm typing it out, but I think I'll wait for confirmation from the North.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

whatever7 posted:

Well gently caress the party is over.

BUT THERE IS HOPE! HE IS A BODY DOUBLE!!!!

All those surgeons trucking in from overseas... not gonna rule it out. :tinfoil:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

There would have to be some sort of plan to distribute current state property and wealth in the North to its people, and that could potentially help offset the initial difference, but more likely it would just be a huge mess like Russia where a bunch of assholes got insanely wealthy relieving the poor of their shares for a few months wages or whatever.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Isn't it in a bit of a state as well? Like structurally and all. Like a Health & Safety person would run away screaming in mortal terror levels of structural issues?

That's my understanding. Low quality non-prestressed poorly reinforced concrete that was showing signs of cracking shifting and deforming before they covered it all up with glass. I'm surprised the windows haven't all started popping off, really.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Their harvest probably looks pretty bad or something and this is their way of getting additional food aid.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

blowfish posted:

They could always drive a truck across the border and hope nobody will notice :v:

That's just silly. Now let me tell you about how they're going to load it onto a freight car and take it across from Kaesong by rail like maybe half a kilometer into the south before the ROK dynamite the tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sounds like we're calling their bluff. Joint military exercises were temporarily suspended, but have been started back up. So like, whatever, world keeps on spinning.