Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Now do one for Kim Jong Il, please, for a reference to compare?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That and I just can't see traditional North Korean culture accepting a female head of state.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Tiberius Thyben posted:

In their defense, lots of people do that in America too, except with Jesus :v:.

Q: What do you get when you remove the spine from christian jesus?

A: Juche business as usual

E:

While getting drunk as gently caress in NK does sound fun, I'd rather get drunk as gently caress in SK.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mightypeon posted:

They also got some pretty complex drinking games.
And allegations of cheating at those are apperantly serious buisness.

I want to learn more.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hitchensgoespop posted:

Then buy a ticket and go as part of a goon delagation with that guy from earlier in the thread and then report back.

Oh yeah, lets go to North Korea. That'll look great on project applications or doing business with South Koreans.

:suicide:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Issue: He has feet.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

dinoputz posted:

At first I shared your thoughts, but when I thought about it, it might actually be a pretty big difference. We won't ever know exactly what's ailing the dude, but when people see a relatively healthy* 32 year old with a cane, 99% of them are thinking "Which sport did he sprain his ankle playing?" or, if you're one of the more thoroughly brainwashed North Koreans, "Which troops did he sprain his ankle commanding?" Kim Jong-Il never would have appeared in a picture with a cane, at least definitely not in the latter decade or so of his rule, because that would have sent a message to the US, whose intelligence leadership might think to themselves, "Hey, KJI's sick and his sons are young/effeminate/not properly groomed, maybe we should step on the gas a little harder to make some deals with some wannabe-warlords in the military?" The contrast between the young and the old with minor injuries and/or disabilities with adaptive equipment is pretty large.

*yes I know there's reports that he chain smokes and gained some weight, but I think my point/guess still stands

Sounds like someone doesn't have control over their personal appearances any more.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kaal posted:

QED: He's a robot.

The norks have developed :mitt: technology. Clearly, we cannot let them surpass us in the robotic oligarch race.

I do wonder if the military is making a move against him right now/how much control his family's personal patronage network has over NK policy development.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Typo posted:

The one child policy was retarded and made by people who don't understand demographics and will screw Chinese economic development within a generation or half a generation from now on and is basically complete irrelevant for a first world country in which the natural rate of population growth is negative.

Alternatively, they found an innovative source for bribes.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Rogue0071 posted:

You know if you want to argue about the feasibility of South Korean firms hiring North Koreans for low wage manufacturing work there is a real life example in the Kaesong Industrial Complex.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaesong_Industrial_Region#Kaes.C5.8Fng_Industrial_Park

You don't even have to pay them, you can just bring in moonpies! This is a great innovation.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

Is it possible Kim Jong Un hacked Sony and is trying to destroy this movie because he's worried that it'll get bootlegged and smuggled in, and that people will believe it is literally true, sparking a revolution?

My guess is North Koreans attempting to force high-level talks with Xi Jinping.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

There's a key aspect there: you get a lot more of the Chinese stuff close to the border. It's progressively harder to obtain the further from that border you get.

how hard would it be to drop thumbdrives and counterfeit RMB all over north korea?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Charged with what exactly?

Batteries or electricity, I'd presume. Even North Koreans have use for and can afford cheap Chinese goods.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Cockmaster posted:

That reminds me: A little while ago, Elon Musk put forth a proposal to create a global broadband ISP with hundreds of low-orbiting satellites. Sneaking that into North Korea could make for some fun times.

http://www.o3bnetworks.com

Google's doing it.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Elon Musk is a bit of an idiot, because such a system would perform worse than just about all countries infrastructure.

Issue: Shitloads of nations have little to no infrastructure. Nations, such as: North Korea.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

JeffersonClay posted:

South Korean groups do exactly that, with balloons.

Are there any fun K-Pop songs about it?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

I'd be curious to see what kind of a source you have for plenty of countries being fatter than the US, I can't find much of anything that would suggest that there's more than one country fatter than America.

Well, its a surprisingly detailed and nuanced issue. For example, do you count obese illegal immigrants as American, or do you include them in the count for their nationality?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well the Argentines are just sore losers.

So are the Norks. You don't get to shell an island just because its near your coast when you don't operate a carrier battle group.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well that's what South Korea has on their border which is why they aren't worried about refugees :rimshot:

Maybe they could have a wall or something?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I like South Korea. It seems to mostly have a business culture in which I'd fit in, apart from being as tan as a sicillian.

One thing I don't like is that this korean chick I used to hook up with worked at one of those big financials in Gangnam, where they made her serve tea despite her master's in econ. The gently caress is up with that?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

All of which use so many weasle words. "During a certain time in the past"? Name the loving time period, rather than be vague. What, are they apologizing for the Sangoku war? Be loving specific in your apologies, like Ronnie Reagan would be.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

Congrats, you've cracked why North Korean dmz tunnels can never be non useless.

Why not drill our own tunnels to Pyongyang? Surely with our technological lead we could get there undetectable to the North Koreans.

CommieGIR posted:

They are digging tunnels with nuclear weapons. It all makes sens now.

We cannot allow the North Koreans a lead in the plowshare gap!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think it'd be pretty funny if the North Korean regime went all 'Blazing Saddles' with international diplomcy.

'Give us the grain and energy we ask for or else we'll nuke ourselves, we swear!'

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So did nobody care at all about this bomb test or what?

It was such a tiny bomb, from such an insignificant nation, that all you can do is look at N. Korea and say "Well aren't you precious! Trying to act like you're in the nuclear club! We can kill you at any time of our choosing and there's nothing you can do about it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

North Korea's greatest weapon is saying the higher ups are all leaving and now South Korea is in charge

North Korea can't do that; their entire culture is built around their racial purity, and the south koreans have been racially defiled by evil Americans.

Their greatest weapon is selling nuclear weapons to Iran. If China refuses to crack down on North Korea, it is America's responsibility to ensure that North Korea cannot supply nuclear weapons and the missiles to carry them to Iran.