Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

whatever7 posted:

Whats the chance that Kim3 was poisoned? Is there a kind of poison that make you limp before you kick the bucket?

The visibly limping thing really fascinates me.

My pet theory (which most likely BS) is that he's really just a gimp of the system and he finally refused to co-operate so they broke his legs and he agreed to do one more public appearance. Right now he's in some dungeon somewhere growing back his fingernails and thinking hard about his life choices.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

William Bear posted:

Now that you mention it, what is life like for a non-Kim elite in NK? The average high military officer or divisional chief, for example. I think I heard that they live like American lower middle class, i.e. they have a house, a car, some electronics and they won't starve.

This is also an excellent, quite a candid documentary worth watching. The guy is I guess, upper middle class by North Korean standards. Still he seems to have had it rough during the famine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY0Wlk1BtXA

E: Maybe he hurt his leg really bad and had to leave the country to get it fixed? Like China maybe. Certainly plausible.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

pengun101 posted:

I just finished watching this and i feel torn. I think he is traitors piece of poo poo who ran from the army because he couldn't take it and he gets fat while the rest of the populous starves,But i can see why he did it, he had a lovely life. It sad that his kids now buy into all the bullshit.

Edit: he also comes off as a pervy weirdo and i kinda believe Jenkins stories about the abuse. Joe comes off at a useful idiot by the end of it.

A person with his lot in life probably didn't have much to look forward to in the US. Maybe years in prison. But in North Korea, he's a well respected guy. So he's done pretty well for himself, certainly nothing to scoff at.

His kids have a stake in the system and so they buy in to it. That's true all over the world. I like the documentary, because it shows glimpses of his regular life there and how banal things really are behind all the propaganda from both sides. I don't really give a poo poo if he's a traitor of some kind or not.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

I've been wanting to go to NK for years now. It's not that hard, but the flights are actually pretty expensive. Thought apparently once there, you don't really have anything to spend money on except booze.

Oldsmobile fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Even barring an actual coup, it's not hard to imagine a situation where Kim found himself cut out of the day-to-day running of the country for the past month or so due to medical factors. By which I mean someone may have been taking advantage of the time Kim's been out cold for ankle surgery and recovery.

Not sure what medical care is like for NK elite, but it's not far fetched he was in some big deal Chinese hospital getting his tendons fixed (or whatever complicated leg surgery he may have needed).