Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

i found out about SA from FARK.COM

same, i regged because i wanted to contribute to photoshop friday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

I used to read the IRC pranks and then i lurked for a year and then I regged because of forumid=103 :v:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i lurked for what had to be at least a year, finally registered because i needed to try to interact with human beings more, and just ~twelve short years later, i was an active yosposter :downs:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

prefect posted:

i lurked for what had to be at least a year, finally registered because i needed to try to interact with human beings more, and just ~twelve short years later, i was an active yosposter :downs:

:3:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

prefect posted:

this but hots but not so hots anymore because there's only so many times you can tell people to google and read a template before you hate humanity

also some of the hockey mans are pretty smart

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

lol same.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

prefect posted:

photoshop, right? i could almost believe it was real, but that's because i still believe england is hobbiton

Nope, used to work as a shelf stacker and would cackle at this poo poo in the frozen section every time I passed it.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

prefect posted:

photoshop, right? i could almost believe it was real, but that's because i still believe england is hobbiton

Faggots are often homemade and are to be found in traditional butchers' shops and market stalls, though larger supermarkets generally stock the Mr Brain's brand of mass-produced human being. This is a frozen food product available in Britain, made of liver and onions rolled into meatballs and served in a sauce. These differ significantly from traditional faggots, which have a coarser texture and contain far less water.

and no ive never eaten it or even seen it lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

they're just pork and onion meatballs in gravy. they're quite nice

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

its all the worst bits of the meat

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

quote:

Mr Brain’s Invites You To Celebrate human being Friday

Mr Brain’s is calling on the Great British public to get together every Friday and enjoy a plate of his tasty faggots.

To help you organise your own human being Friday party, Mr Brain’s is giving away free packs of his delicious faggots on Fridays in September and October. Simply look out for the coupon* in selected newspapers, cut it out, take it to the specified supermarket and hand it in for your free box of Mr Brain’s – it couldn’t be easier!

its like reading mad libs filled out by a 7th grader

wit
Jul 26, 2011

orphean posted:

its like reading mad libs filled out by a 7th grader

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2698507.stm

And on it goes...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

prefect posted:

imagine being lewis doody, 13 year old boy, and after a long day of being tormented at school for your name you come home and your dad announces that you're going to be the official mr. brains' human being family

i can't loving believe the uk is a real place

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this has no meaning in the uk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sniep posted:

give me one of these

please

he's all tuckered out from a hard shift at the chocolate mine and is busy taking a bite out of the day's wages

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jonny 290 posted:

same except that terrible dating game that sony had on their site

i'm featured in the eventual article iirc

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

a guy I met in an mmo bought me an account, all i knew of SA was the front page :mrgw:

don't play mmos anymore

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

don't play mmos at all, actually

Mathhole
Jun 2, 2011

rot in hell, wonderbread.
i don't think people say 'surf the web' anymore. might have died out in the 00's tho

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
this thread inspired me to create a webring to teach netizens about internet technology but I got stuck on making a footer graphic for it

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

i've seen the picture attached to that article probably a good 30 times and almost every time i start to belly laugh in a way i don't really laugh at anything else

then i thought well that's p bad i guess if i was in a situation like that as a kid it would destroy me
so i looked it up. lewis doody did not kill himself, is a handsome lad, has got a job, an attractive gf, and plenty of friends
meanwhile im looking up a stranger on facebook late at night

not feelin bad bout laughin at the human being family pic

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

There is no Cabal.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
active matrix display

or passive matrix display for the scrubs

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

wit
Jul 26, 2011

I like to think the son's "friends" at school helped with the voting.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

wit posted:

I like to think the son's "friends" at school helped with the voting.

there was a kid with the last name Doody when i was in elementary school, he was mercilessly teased about it. he played on my baseball team too so he had a big DOODY across the back of his baseball jersey and everything. i never teased him but i still felt really bad so i let him borrow my OG gameboy one day :unsmith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

madeupfred posted:

Has Kibo ever done a thing that, in our supremely hosed up post-cognizant-of-the-social-networking-implications-of-a-pervasive-ubiquitous-Internet world, could be considered a joke, or even funny? What is the P-P-P-Powerbook of alt.religion.kibology?

After reading the wiki page his entire shtick seems to be "pointing out things that are dumb on usenet in equally stupid ways" and "responding nonsensically to any mention of the word Kibo" so no, not really.

He is incredibly loving 90's though, in that everything I read about him has that innocence that the world lost around the mid-2000's when everyone suddenly gained full awareness of how awful and pointless everything is thanks to the internet widening our worldview to the point where nothing can be taken seriously anymore and everything must be double-ironic meta callback anti-humor.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

He is incredibly loving 90's though, in that everything I read about him has that innocence that the world lost around the mid-2000's when everyone suddenly gained full awareness of how awful and pointless everything is thanks to the internet widening our worldview to the point where nothing can be taken seriously anymore and everything must be double-ironic meta callback anti-humor.

this is kinda what i was getting at. we were more easily entertained back then

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

this is kinda what i was getting at. we were more easily entertained back then

what I find most interesting about the whole pre-hyperawareness / post-hyperawareness thing is that it's getting to be almost impossible to look at poo poo like

and realize that they were so loving serious about that and it's not at all a joke or meant to be even a little tongue in cheek. like that just doesn't compute for me anymore, and I fuckin' grew up with stuff like that.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

what I find most interesting about the whole pre-hyperawareness / post-hyperawareness thing is that it's getting to be almost impossible to look at poo poo like

and realize that they were so loving serious about that and it's not at all a joke or meant to be even a little tongue in cheek. like that just doesn't compute for me anymore, and I fuckin' grew up with stuff like that.

i feel a lot of that buzz was before internet access was ubiquitous to the general public though. like, you could either get an edu hookup or gently caress around with whatever garbage compuserve aol gateway jank was set up. a lot of suburban white parents' first experience with "the internet" was arguing at PTA meetings to make sure they got "internet' at the school because internet was computers and everything's on computers now, hayden will be able to get a great job and will pay off our mortgage blah blah

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

i feel a lot of that buzz was before internet access was ubiquitous to the general public though. like, you could either get an edu hookup or gently caress around with whatever garbage compuserve aol gateway jank was set up. a lot of suburban white parents' first experience with "the internet" was arguing at PTA meetings to make sure they got "internet' at the school because internet was computers and everything's on computers now, hayden will be able to get a great job and will pay off our mortgage blah blah

while I do remember that hilarious era of the infant internet, i don't really mean just that. i mean that entire thing as a whole, that kid's outfit, those shoes, surfing on the loving keyboard, all of this was done entirely seriously. the 90's were the last "serious" decade before everyone was able to constantly put everything they do in perspective with everything else in real time using social media and the internet etc and realize how stupid everything is before doing it anyway.

and I mean this isn't just me ~growing up~ and gaining perspective myself or whatever I originally got the idea from a friend who's 10 years older than me.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

while I do remember that hilarious era of the infant internet, i don't really mean just that. i mean that entire thing as a whole, that kid's outfit, those shoes, surfing on the loving keyboard, all of this was done entirely seriously. the 90's were the last "serious" decade before everyone was able to constantly put everything they do in perspective with everything else in real time using social media and the internet etc and realize how stupid everything is before doing it anyway.

and I mean this isn't just me ~growing up~ and gaining perspective myself or whatever I originally got the idea from a friend who's 10 years older than me.

might i suggest a song of generation x by douglas r. r. coupland?

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

daft punk railroad posted:

only 90s kids will know how to read this: 8===================================D~~~~~~

*leans in closer*

hmm

*strokes chin*

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
this thread made me wonder what mardam-bey has been up to all these years.

turns out he's still working on mirc. huh.

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

he was big in 9/11 tbh

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
isn't he in jail because he literally funded terrorists?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

After reading the wiki page his entire shtick seems to be "pointing out things that are dumb on usenet in equally stupid ways" and "responding nonsensically to any mention of the word Kibo" so no, not really.

I figured it out.

It's autism. His audience was people going to school for computer in the 1980s.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

theadder posted:

he was big in 9/11 tbh

Beast of Bourbon posted:

isn't he in jail because he literally funded terrorists?

i dunno, i'm just going off what wiki and his website both say.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Rack posted:

i dunno, i'm just going off what wiki and his website both say.

[non primary source needed]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asshole Masonanie
Oct 27, 2009

by vyelkin
Neophyte

(its u)

• Locked thread