Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Brandon Routh Returns?

Also I haven't seen that Superman in a while but I imagine it probably did not hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Could be suicide squad or Huntress!

They're developing a SS film so probably not that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bobkatt013 posted:

Could be suicide squad or Huntress!

Oh yeah, wasn't there another rumor article that explicitly claimed there was a Huntress show in talks?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Well Guggenheim was asking tonwrite a Booster Gold pilot for CW in 2013, he's showing up in the flash according to rumors and for some reason they vetoed Ted Kord instead for Ray Palmer this season sooooo........

If the above is right I will be so happy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't the other show Hourman?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't the other show Hourman?

The Hourman pitch sounded like it was explicitly avoiding the more comic-book superhero elements, which hasn't been Kreisberg, Guggenheim and Berlanti's MO. Hell, remember that Kreisberg had a run writing the real-deal Green Arrow comic BEFORE the show was even really pitched. (And is co-writing it currently)

dreffen posted:

Brandon Routh Returns?

Also I haven't seen that Superman in a while but I imagine it probably did not hold up.

The movie? No. Routh is actually really good in it, though. The problem is it's trying to have it's cake and eat it, by being a more modern story tacked on to a bunch of very VERY Silver Age elements. Lex Luthor as a self describing 'criminal mastermind' obsessed with pulling cons and real estate scams via ridiculous plotting, in the same movie where he stabs Superman with a Kryptonite shiv? Superman as a deadbeat dad stalking Lois with superpowers, while giving gee-whiz advice to plane passengers? I'm not sure the more modern meldrama stuff would've worked even without the goofy parts, but at least the tone would've been consistent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
While the movie was pretty bad, Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor was amazing.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Some Numbers posted:

While the movie was pretty bad, Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor was amazing.
The second half of this is true. And Routh was as good as any Reeve-Superman fan could hope for. The pros far outweigh the cons as far as I'm concerned. The two Richard Donner cuts and Superman Returns will probably be the only Superman films I'll ever have in my DVD collection.

Until Superman vs Arrow where John Diggle drives Lois Lane to a secret location so Oliver Queen can bang yet another non-related female.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He played it to the hilt, no doubt, I just wish we'd gotten evil tech magnate Lex, with Spacey basically doing his Frank Underwood-style performance. Hell, Underwood basically IS a supervillain.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Singer is one of those people with a massive Donner Superman fetish and that was the movie he was going to make one way or another. Plus 26 year old Routh and 23 year old Kate Bosworth playing characters who should be well into their 30s just looked off, even if Routh made the best of the material.

Routh's a great pickup for Arrow whether they have spinoff plans for him or not. I made the career trajectory joke in the OP but he really does deserve better.

hcreight fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 8, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

hcreight posted:

Routh's a great pickup for Arrow whether they have spinoff plans for him or not. I made the career trajectory joke in the OP but he really does deserve better.

He really does. He was great in both Chuck and Scott Pilgrim.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A 26 year old Superman works fine, because he ages slower.

People don't want to see 26 year old Superman and 50 year old Lois though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Speak for yourself, Dana Delany is still smokin' hot. :colbert:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aphrodite posted:

A 26 year old Superman works fine, because he ages slower.

People don't want to see 26 year old Superman and 50 year old Lois though.

If willing to go for 46 Lucy Lawless!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Gaz-L posted:

The Hourman pitch sounded like it was explicitly avoiding the more comic-book superhero elements, which hasn't been Kreisberg, Guggenheim and Berlanti's MO. Hell, remember that Kreisberg had a run writing the real-deal Green Arrow comic BEFORE the show was even really pitched. (And is co-writing it currently)

The movie? No. Routh is actually really good in it, though. The problem is it's trying to have it's cake and eat it, by being a more modern story tacked on to a bunch of very VERY Silver Age elements. Lex Luthor as a self describing 'criminal mastermind' obsessed with pulling cons and real estate scams via ridiculous plotting, in the same movie where he stabs Superman with a Kryptonite shiv? Superman as a deadbeat dad stalking Lois with superpowers, while giving gee-whiz advice to plane passengers? I'm not sure the more modern meldrama stuff would've worked even without the goofy parts, but at least the tone would've been consistent.

I remember Superman the deadbeat dad but not much else. I'll probably end up watching it again at some point.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

And they covered the Laurel problem.

Laurel is ready.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Laurel is ready.

drat grrl, you got a permit for dem guns?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

XboxPants posted:

Oh yeah, wasn't there another rumor article that explicitly claimed there was a Huntress show in talks?

While the character is a little better in Arrow I doubt the character would get another shot at carrying a show.

So whats the over/under on Slade getting a Suicide Squad offer before or after breaking out the first time?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Quick preview of tonight's series premiere

Honestly, I think Palmer's going to be suiting up with an arsenal of gadgets instead of the shrinking superpowers. Also, name change to Star City in the works already? :haw:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

While the character is a little better in Arrow I doubt the character would get another shot at carrying a show.

So whats the over/under on Slade getting a Suicide Squad offer before or after breaking out the first time?

gently caress that give Manu Bennett a Suicide Squad spin off

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Airs right now in Canada. Precredits is awesome, new logo.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Scyantific posted:

Honestly, I think Palmer's going to be suiting up with an arsenal of gadgets instead of the shrinking superpowers. Also, name change to Star City in the works already? :haw:

Yeah, there's really no way to do a shrinking superhero character that'd make sense on Arrow. I'm sure they wanted Blue Beetle, as a well-funded tech-based hero to offset against now-poor Oliver Queen. So, I think you're dead-on: they'll probably just pay lip service to the Atom and write him as if he was Ted Kord.

Even giving him "powers" in a Flash sense would feel kind of odd, since those elements now have a home on the actual Flash show. And the most absurd science fiction elements on Arrow thus far boil down to, "he's on super-steroids that make him psychotic."

If not for the DC movie about Suicide Squad, I'd have said that was the third series. A Huntress show would feel pretty much like Arrow, and Booster Gold would probably feel really similar to Flash. Really, SuperGirl sounds like the most unique option. At the least, to take up the alien / cosmic setting characters.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Yup. The villain of this episode is great!

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
The awkwardness of the scene was adorable.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Am I the only non-Tumblr-teenager who actually likes the Oliver/Felicity thing? I think the two actors have a lot of chemistry and enjoy seeing them in scenes together. Felicity's awkard cuteness kinda softens Ollie's tough guy persona.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wasn't Felicity just supposed to be a minor role that they ended up expanding to major character because of their chemistry?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I'm loving how the opening here is pretty much all domestic problems the crew is running into.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Brandon Routh being charming and is Dig even swoler?

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
The name is Queen. Oliver Queen.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
That's the coolest fuckin' bow. :allears:

e: "You're shirtless, all the time"

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

Brandon Routh being charming and is Dig even swoler?

Brandon Routh being charming in a Best Buy knockoff will usually lead to death and torture. Just look at Chuck.

Edit: I'm in love with the new count vertigo.

frgildan fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 9, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, gently caress.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Wow, Vertigo skipping all the subtlety isn't he?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Daddy Diggle! :3:

Paradise Lost
Feb 11, 2003

kill your enemy, drink his wine, and take his women
What was he whistling?

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Ollie if she's bleeding from the head it's more than knocked out.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Paradise Lost posted:

What was he whistling?

Hall of the mountain king

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

frgildan posted:

Ollie if she's bleeding from the head it's more than knocked out.

Not on television it's not.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Hahhahaha yes the only good scene out of Superman 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Did we just go all Superman 3 in here?

• Locked thread