Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Great OP. I'm so stoked for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Comics chat that is 100% allowed in this thread includes the Arrow Season 2.5 comic that's written by the show's co-creator Marc Guggenheim. It's pretty cool. Right now it's dealing with Brother Blood II who is the first's bodyguard. It also introduces Lodai who is the guy that Oliver has been paying to make all his gadgets and his suit. He's the one that's making Roy's costume too. Seems like someone they may eventually introduce in the show as well. He's all scarred up though and his face looks kind of melted so if they do it'll be a heck of a make-up job. It's a fun read and I recommend grabbing it if you're interested.

Is this comic intended to form part of the Cannon of the show?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dreffen posted:

I don't like linking Buzzfeed (thanks facebook?), but it wasn't a bad article so here's a buzzfeed link

Just going to pull my favorite bit from the article, which was even mirrored in how some people in the season 1 thread received him:

Holy poo poo. They actually made an attempt to get Liam Neeson for Ras.

Who wants to guess what the planned third arrowverse show that they teased is?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 8, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I'd have guessed the proposed Supergirl show at CBS (they part-own the CW, so they could still crossover), but I feel like they'd have said so if it was. The Wonder Woman show the CW was developing a couple of years back, maybe?

I got the impression from the article that there was another CW show set in the arrowverse currently in development, and they just aren't ready to divulge details yet, so it wouldn't be a past show.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

When Sara's killer said 'Hello Sara' It sounded distinctly like an Australian accent . Read into that what you will.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

It wasn't aussie man, i can tell you that for a fact

It sounded a lot like slade. Wasn't the guy who was cast as Ras Australian?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Starling sounds better though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Has anyone else noticed that ever since Arrow, it seems like every second show out there starts with a 'My name is...' voiceover from the main character? Flash is a spinnoff, so that's ok, but then Forever did it, and Scorpion, and it seems like a whole bunch of shows.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I don't want to get too deeply into this because I'm sure I've already exceeded the upper limit of talking about this specific topic on this forum, but that's really only one part of fridging; it's really a mix of death, disempowerment, and gratuity. The original Women in Refrigerators website that Gail Simone started, for instance, didn't just list off girlfriend that got killed to make their boyfriends sad; it was a list of all female characters in comics that got somehow shuffled off the stage by way of death or disempowerment, as an examination of why there were so few active, powerful female superheroes that writers could write about, thereby examining the difference between how female characters were treated in those instances versus male characters in comparable situations.

We can see the trend playing out throughout Arrow itself. Of all the important main characters killed off through the series, we got Tommy and possibly Yao Fei on one end, and Shado, Moira, and now Sara on the other. Tommy and Yao Fei was were fridged, that's true, but Tommy in particular got fridged like a champ, performing self-sacrificing feats of heroism to save the woman he loves; the guy who was physically unimpressive, who never showed any particularly heroic attributes, goes out in a spectacular feat of masculinity, showing that even the weakest men are prone to great strength. Moira, Shado, and Sara got no grand virtuous finales; they got victimized and tied up and tossed off a building. Three of the deadliest women on the show, two of them stalwart heroes, are helpless to stop the bad guys from killing them, showing that even the strongest women (and Yao Fei, I suppose) are ultimately powerless when all is said and done.

It's a trend that pops up over and over again through media.

I have to disagree in the case of Moira - Her death was virtuous, she stood up and insisted that slade kill her, so that her children would both survive. Slade even commended her honour. It's no worse than Tommy's death.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

As ridiculous and implausible as it is, how hysterical would it be if she was just seriously injured and the promo was a fakeout? This whole argument would have been a total waste.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

the superpowered guys will be contained in Central City.

They have a train station. It's not going to be that hard for them to spread out a bit.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i heard this show was good, so I started watching it from episode 1. I think I'm about 6 or so episodes into it, and while I like it and it seems decent, it hasnt starting gripping me yet like I'd expect from what people say. Does it get any better or different?

I encourage you to watch it all, but there is a slight slump in the middle of the first season, centered around a 2 episode arc with the introduction of a certain character. After that, it goes full bananas amazing and stays that way. Forever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Daric posted:

Don't you guys remember that they killed Merlyn in the first season and he came back in the second and said something like "I know how to get around death"

Merlyn only took one arrow though. I bet 3 is much harder.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ufarn posted:

Season one is really soapy and in large parts absolutely awful.

It had some soapy bits but to say it was absolutely awful in any part, let alone large parts is a gross exaggeration. At it's worst (the huntress arc) it was mediocre; but still better than say, any of Gotham so far, or the first two thirds of season 1 of shield, or any of smallville ever.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I'm starting to think you guys have a goony intolerance for relationships in general.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

There's a difference between your characters having relationships and CW MAXIMUM ANGST NEVER SAY THE ONE THING THAT WOULD SOLVE EVERYTHING relationships.

I saw no evidence of the later on Arrow. That love triangle would have lasted seasons on a show like smallville, here it was a minor background plot thread that petered out to a timely conclusion.

I'll admit Huntress was a tad melodramatic, but I think her subsequent season 2 appearance was better, and I have higher hopes for a future appearance.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Naw, I was playing Wasteland 2 and really don't recall the faces of anyone from the past 3 or 4 episodes crossing from S1 to S2.. :saddowns:

Ahh okay, it was dead cheaty-sister,and not presumably dead asian-chick from the island... Yeah makes WAY WAY more sense! "The Lost Girlz" was not what I was hoping for in this already-super-complex mix. :ughh:

Zaggitz posted:

Shado and China White are two different people. Also don't spoiler tag stuff from previous seasons.

China White and Sara are also different people.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kammat posted:

BARROWMAN!!!!

Actually it's SIR BARROWMAN!!! now, isn't?

No, he only got an MBE.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I think the issue is more that they couldn't pay a couple of dudes to also dress up as cops? Because shouldn't Tommy get taken to a station or something for a statement at least?

And that final "John... I don't wanna die down here..." :(

Tommy was never the sharpest tool in the shed.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Wezlar posted:

Wtf is cis? Like Russian?

Latin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cisgender

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 19, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

jscolon2.0 posted:

Arrow S3: You Have Failed This Cis-ty

Starling city is anything but Cis-city.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Maybe it's a training exercise.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Due to the exposure of the chemicals Barry has pon farr and he challenges Ollie to a fight over Felicity.

If this involves an underwear clad Barry at any point I'm entirely comfortable with it. Barry is hotter than Oliver and Roy put together and he is disappointingly the least shirtless of the three.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 21, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

Also MoS was a good Superman movie and i will fight anyone who disagrees. Dawn of Justice hasn't come out yet, quit pre bitching

Man of Steel was a good Dragonball z movie. I enjoyed the movie overall but once it actually got down to the big fight it went far too long and was far too 'mindless Michael Bay action-y' for my taste.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MrFlibble posted:

Nah if Merlyn is right and Ras killed Sara then keeping him alive is the best way to get justice, which is a big deal to the super-hero types. Of course you run into the problem of how the hell do you get justice if the guy who trained the guy you can't imprison is the one who did the killin'.

technically Ras is the guy who trained the guy who trained Merlyn.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Any and all former leading Captains from Star Trek.

edit- actually any regular cast member from ST:TNG aside from maybe Gates McFadden would own as Ras.

Wil Wheaton as Ras.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bad Moon posted:

I'd paid good money to see Captain Sisko reprise his Bond Villain parody role he played in DS9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjvYiSDJujA

I'd pay good money just to see Avery Brooks on TV again.

While we're at it, we should find roles on the show for Nana Visitor, Claudia Black, and Jeff Coombs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

As long as he is playing the Avery Brooks from The Captains and out crazing Shatner.

I knew I'd forgotten someone. What DC role can we give shatner? Although I think he'd fit in better over on Got Ham.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Back when roy was crazy, didn't he pull arrows out of himself that Oliver fired at him, then throw them back as a weapon? My guess is it's just his Mirakuru trip memories resurfacing, and blending together with random poo poo the way dreams do; not him actually having been the one to kill Sara.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Go find the videos of Routh working out for Superman Returns. He was loving huge.

I read in an interview once that they were forced to digitally reduce the size of his crotch bulge in the superman costume because it was ridiculous.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Drifter posted:

"Okay, Roy. For your next big fight scene you back flip off that car. They're gonna kick at you, but then you side-flip away from them. And then Ollie'll come over and shoot them with an arrow."

You forgot 'Roy grunts and makes a face like he's really constipated and desperately trying to squeeze out a poo poo'

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ollie should stick Ras in with Slade and Boomerang for an Aussie actor party - devote an episode to the three of them having endless sparring montages, followed by an escape.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

On the Mateship!

:australia:

Better yet, a between seasons mini series featuring those three escaping from the island.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The little understood martial art of making your enemy poo poo himself when you grab the blade of their sword with your bare hand and go :stare: at them.

I'm pretty sure Oliver was the one that went :stare:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Speaking of Ras, If anyone wants to see him as a badarse Australian WW1 sergeant, the first episode of Gallipoli aired last night and it was pretty good.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Whizbang posted:

He's getting a new costume, they've talked about it before.

Who is? Roy or Oliver?

I thought this episode was pretty good but there was far too much flashback time - it wasn't as interesting as the present day stuff and it robbed us of more Slade. They should have saved some of it for a different episode.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Scyantific posted:

BTW, the same guy who plays Zsaz in Gotham was also villain of the week #3 in The Flash. Glad to know he's killing it (:v:) as a villain in Gotham too.

When you look like that guy does what the gently caress else are you going to play other than comic book villains?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

greatn posted:

So new power rankings as evidenced by last two episodes: Ras > Oliver > Nyssa > Slade = Merlyn > Dig > Generic Ninja Mook > Thea = Roy > Laurel > Most street toughs and criminals > Wildcat cause he's dead now

Also Felicity's vagina has restorative and inspirational properties, so she needs to get with the Flash so he can run faster and beat reverse flash.

Just for arguments sake, Agent May and Agent Ward could beat all of these but Ras in hand to hand combat, and they wouldn't even beat him working together.

I'd stick Thea between Dig and Generic Ninja Mook. She's certainly better than Roy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It's an ingenious way to cut back on redundancy payouts during this phase of restructuring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Narcissus1916 posted:

gently caress Lazarus Pits for completely cheapening death in the Arrow universe. We need explanation on the limits of this awful device, and soon.

Its a goddamn reset button built into the series. Hack writers have been using it for decades, I really hoped that the Arrow team knew better.

Ras already said something about how 'the healing powers of the waters are losing their effect on him' so it would appear there is a limit to the amount of exposure you can have to the pit before your body develops a resistance to the effect.

• Locked thread