Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
gently caress you hcreight, Torchwood series 1 was just fine. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

That's the coolest fuckin' bow. :allears:

e: "You're shirtless, all the time"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

frgildan posted:

Ollie if she's bleeding from the head it's more than knocked out.

Not on television it's not.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Holy poo poo, they ordered Jane the Virgin to series?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress YOU SHOW

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Nobody loving wants Laurel as Canary. Not a single drat person.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 9, 2014

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Making characters exist to die to give others growth is a poo poo thing and Shado and Sara deserved better. Moira's death by contrast was awesome because not only did they make an entire episode around reminding us of a key part of her character (do anything to protect her family) that her getting stabbed by Slade was a great moment if a horrifying one. If Sarah had been killed in the last episode of last season as some sort of statement either on her doubting her ability to be heroic that would have been fine.

Okay, I'm not happy that Sara died, but you're completely ignoring that Tommy's death was pretty much the epitome of "dying for character growth." gently caress, Ollie even says so in the opening narration.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Polaron posted:

I mean, it's not as if she worked for a guy whose entire schtick involves coming back from the dead and who seemingly has already brought a different character back from the dead.

I'd be shocked if she didn't come back in some way.

I don't know. Once you start doing that, it really just cheapens character deaths as a whole. See also: Every comic book ever.

Merlyn wasn't resurrected so much as Ollie never confirmed he was dead. Sara was hit with 3 arrows and fell a few stories onto concrete. She's dead, as annoying as it is to admit it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Sara's still dead. gently caress YOU SHOW!

e: Tommy! This show is great!

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

"Do you know any archers who could have done this?"

"What, hit a person from 10 feet away? I don't know, should we include 8 year olds?"

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Can we have a repeat of the Torque motorcycle fight tia?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Putting a guy in protective custody right next to an uncovered window. Thank you Starling City PD. :thumbsup:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

God, this show is so loving great. Every fight scene is just dripping with cool. It's like being five and watching Power Rangers for the first time.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Bullshit. There's no way you could dig a grave without anyone noticing. That's like a six hour project right there.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Next week why can't you be here yet?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Am I wrong In thinking maybe Tommy?

Yes

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

imperialparadox posted:

Laurel not telling her dad sucks, but i completely understand it. Dude has a heart condition, and could very likely literally have a heart attack if he found out about Sara. I doubt Laurel wants to see more of her family die in one week.
Except, given that this is still a CW show, he'll probably find out when some character offhandedly mentions it, resulting in drama.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Daric posted:

I think Sara came back to Starling City against his wishes, not the first time she's disobeyed him, and so he put her down for it. That's probably why Oliver is fighting him this season. I think there will be a dilemma that Oliver will have to face because he will have to choose to team up with Merlyn and Thea against Ra's.

That would actually be pretty great. I'm really hoping that whatever direction the show goes, it won't involve "saving" Thea. It'd be much more interesting to leave her aligned with Merlyn, serving as a secondary antagonist throughout the show's run. Certainly would be better than having her be just another member of Team Arrow.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

I think the issue is more that they couldn't pay a couple of dudes to also dress up as cops? Because shouldn't Tommy get taken to a station or something for a statement at least?

And that final "John... I don't wanna die down here..." :(

Probably just made up some bullshit about corrupt police and told him to leave as quickly as possible. I doubt Tommy was in much of a mood to question it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mr Beens posted:

Yeah the whole sequence just didn't sit right for me.
Apart from the fact it went on too long, I don't really buy Oliver just basically loving about with the guy who he thinks killed his girlfriend.
"HE GOT AWAY!!!" - yeah no poo poo sherlock, maybe you should have just not driven at him and shot his bike with one of your magic vehicle killing arrows that you use to take out 18 wheelers?

Oliver doesn't have the money for those trick arrows anymore. Gotta tighten the belt somewhere. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Drifter posted:

yeah, five months and Thea's going to kill a person. :jerkbag:

Five months to go from someone willing to shoot a mass murderer they vaguely know to someone willing to shoot a serial killer/contract assassin they vaguely know? Also, doesn't the military turn people into trained killers in something like 4 months?

For the record, I don't think it was Thea, though that would be cool. But dismissing it because you don't think she is capable of killing is kind of a stretch given what the writers have shown us so far.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

VBane posted:

Throwing this out there on this thread too. Apparently news broke today that a slate of future WB productions include a live action Static Shock.

Don't play with my heart WB. This had better happen.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Why is she working at a restaurant? Merlyn is still a millionaire.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Heh, Felicity has a Felicity now.

Aphrodite posted:

Most likely the endgame here is to have Merlyn train her and then she comes back over to the good guy side.

I'm really hoping they don't follow through with this part.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I never thought I would say this, but can we please get back to Thea's storyline?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

What? This scene is great.

I was writing that before Felicity came in. :shrug:

"Google his phone or something."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Mcgyverrow

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

That's cheating Ollie. :colbert:

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

No, cool CEO dude, you can't be evil.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Thea was acting up a storm this ep. I hate that people younger than me are this talented. She even got the flashbacks instead of Ollie!

I'm hoping we'll get more Thea flashbacks. The episode was so top heavy that it basically skipped over the development of her relationship with Malcolm.

The resolution of her plot was kind of strange though. She's so sick of everyone in her life that she'll skip town with her father the mass murderer, only to come back after a single heart-to-heart conversation with her brother? I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Eddain posted:

Wait, does Oliver live in an abandoned Verdant now or something? And how does he do anything without money or a job? Hell, where is Thea even gonna stay?

Ollie is Network Television Poor™

Honestly though, if he's anything like real rich people, he had money stashed away somewhere.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

If there is one downside to comic book characters having attained huge pop culture status, it's that people who read comics have been let out of their caves and are now expecting all the lovely marketing stunts/cash grabs of that industry (excessive crossovers, connected universes) to be embraced by better forms of media.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Is there no new episode tonight?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

gently caress YOU WGN. THE loving GAME IS ON ESPN YOU CUNTS

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Deadpool posted:

Airing as normal here.

The Chicago Bulls suck.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I haven't caught up with the show yet (just finished S2), but I already heard Sara dies, and I'm not sure why everyone was expecting it to happen eventually. I haven't read a TON of Green Arrow, but I always thought the Black Canary he hooked up with was Dinah Lance - I didn't know a Laurel or Sara ever existed in the comics. Why is everyone sure Laurel will end up as the Canary? I had thought it was just a name change from Dinah to Sara.

Comic book readers can't comprehend why the writers would deviate from their precious canon.

Also, the show runners said so.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Xealot posted:

Of course, the difference is, Laurel's female. At its core, my issue here is a feminist one: it's unfamiliar to see a heroic arc for a woman who's embittered, cruel, uncontrolled, or capricious. Tons of women have heroic purpose thrust on them (Buffy, Wonder Woman, etc.), but they tend to approach it with elegance or at least resigned enthusiasm. It's only the Bruce Waynes of the world who are allowed to be whiny, sobbing pissants for the first third of their stories. Female characters who are imperfect in these ways (and yet not villainous) are way more rare, and way more reviled.

And don't get me wrong, there are obviously tons of Empowered Women on this show, but they usually come more fully-formed and digestible. Even Sara's training happened more or less offscreen. What we see is the quip-throwing badass in dominatrix leather she became. And it was awesome to see, but the issue isn't that fans reject *active* femininity; they reject *flawed*, uncontrolled femininity. See also how hated Thea was when she was a drugged out party girl

If you go through your life thinking that any negative reaction to a situation that tangentially involved a woman is sexism, you're going to end up a deeply embittered person. Thea's "drugged out party girl" arc was reviled because it was soapy CW bullshit.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Windows 98 posted:

I'm still catching up and am only on episode 17 of season 1. But god drat I just kinda had to chuckle to myself that as soon as Oliver arrives back in the city TONS of people start dying to people shooting bows. A rather weird weapon to be using in the city. Not just all the people Oliver kills but also the people that Merlyn dad kills and vengeance-on-my-mafia-dad girlfriend lady kills. That's a gently caress load of deaths to archers out of no where.

In hindsight, it is kind of ridiculous that Detective Lance spends part of the first season trying to find out who the Hood is without ever going "huh, maybe it's this Komodo fella."

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Ollie's just jealous that Thea's still a billionaire. :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

I really hope this isn't going to be Felicity's hacker boyfriend, because if so that was telegraphed really loving hard.

e: Ollie getting hit by a car and just shrugging it off was kind of hilarious.

• Locked thread