Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Daddy Diggle! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Back to emo Ollie already?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Hey, I wasn't expecting Sara to be back already...

...oh. :smith:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I do think that Brandon Routh's character had a point with Oliver being a poo poo CEO. He didn't pay any attention to his company last year, and look where that got him.

I couldn't realistically see the board rehiring the guy who last time he was the boss, never even bothered showing up to work. He doesn't even have any real skill in business. Hell, I have a hard time buying that a bank would be willing to fund his bid anyways.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Tommy! :smith:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

frgildan posted:

Is komodo going to turn out to be the guy from Ollie flashbacks? I get that feeling.

Probably.

Also, motorcycle archery jousting... Star City's premiere sport!

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Not unless one of those flashback guys is named Simon Lacroix.

Well...you can't just...I mean...

...fine, good point.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Laurel would have done it. :stonk:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

FELD1 posted:

Wow, a lot of really cool stunts and fights there! I loved the way Ollie just jumped backwards out of the window and swung down a few floors Die Hard style.

I laughed because Roy was like, "Nope."

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Laurel not telling her dad sucks, but i completely understand it. Dude has a heart condition, and could very likely literally have a heart attack if he found out about Sara. I doubt Laurel wants to see more of her family die in one week.

Thank you, Laurel. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am so, soooo sick of the "this isn't what [dead loved one] would want you to do" or "think of [dead loved one]" cliche. That is so overused.

I agree. She thought the dude killed her sister. You can talk about doing the right thing and all that, but sometimes you just gotta put an arrow in a fool.

We'll ignore that it would have been the wrong fool. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Warmachine posted:

"Hey guys, I'm alive, and have been a superassassin for six years."

This is a side-comment, but it's always bugged me that nobody ever asks about this. I would think that Sara's dad would at one point ask, "So, you work for the League of Assassins? What uh...do you do for them?"

I mean the name inherently implies not-good things, but nobody seems to care about that too much. People had issues with Ollie murdering people, but Sara - no one seems to care. :shrug:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Deleting that scene was a wise choice.

Yeah I actually agree, it was a bit much. It might have just been a casting issue, but it worked as a tease in the episode, but the deleted scene moved it into the "goofy" territory.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Sara's killer should be an assassin hired by the surviving children of a happily married couple that was killed because they were involved in the filing of some paperwork that would have allowed a company to purchase land that the League wanted for their own reasons.

Random Team Arrow person: "Oh, I guess that is what the "assassin" part meant of the League of Assassins."

:v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I don't...wha... :stonk:

Did Roy have a flashback and kill Sara? I'm having a hard time believing that he did, but then how would he know about the scene in the first place?

Is there some kind of DC villain that can plant false memories into people? Is it possible that the League of Assassins brainwashed Roy, because it still seems like Ras was the one that put out the hit on Sara.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I could see Slade getting out of prison being the last scene of the season.

So Roy may or may not have killed Sara, and Laurel definitely wants to kill whoever murdered her sister. Hmmm...

Also, I wonder what Merlyn is up too, since he did follow Thea back to the city? Despite him saying that it wouldn't make sense for him to kill Sara, I suppose it is possible he has a hand in it, though I don't really see a strong motivation for it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

He's being her dad and training her, as evidenced by the training montage at the start.

Yeah, but I think he has another thread working there as well.

When/if Thea finds out that her brother is the Arrow, how is that going to work out for Merlyn? He convinced Thea to come with him by leaning on the fact that everybody else is always lying to her, but when she finds out that Merlyn knows about her brother and just chose not to tell her, I can't see that going well. CW drama 101.

I wonder if the end result with be Thea (Speedy) replacing Roy as Ollie's sidekick?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Best. Episode. :swoon:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Oracle posted:

God Oliver really is the most hypocritical rear end in a top hat.

'You killed a guy accidentally six years ago when you were a vigilante! LAUREL YOU MUST STAY AWAY FROM HIM!' Why, because he has not racked up your body count and thus must be unworthy of teaching her?

That's Ollie's big character flaw, but yeah it's starting to get annoying because he never really seems to grow and step away from it. Every time that he's proven to be a hypocrite and wrong, he seems to forget about it an episode or two later. I guess it's part of his character, but it does get annoying.

...and then there was boxing-glove arrow, so I can forgive.

BSam posted:

All of the flashbacks have been rubbish, from the first episode up to now.

The thing that cracks me up about this season's flashbacks is that apparently Waller needed a covert ops agent in Hong Kong, so she chooses white-bread Ollie for the job? Totally inconspicuous, guys.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

ded posted:

It was Ras. "She was never really one of us".

How much more in your face does it need to be?

I think Ras was responsible, but not directly - he likely sent a lackey to do it. It doesn't even have to be anybody that we have already seen, just somebody that Sara would know from the League.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

It's a day later and I still can't really believe I just watched a show with Captain Boomerang in it, as a badass, who constantly made boomerang jokes, and they sold it as completely serious.

I was amazed by this, he was pretty badass and would he have killed Ollie without the Flash intervention?

And now he's on an island with Slade...

So which show will have the mass villain prison break first, Arrow or Flash?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

hcreight posted:

Maybe. But The Flash has its own busybody military spook in Wade Eiling so they may keep Waller/ARGUS confined to Arrow. It was sort of weird how despite the ARGUS-heavy plot, Waller was only seen in the flashbacks.

Yeah I think that they will confine ARGUS to Arrow - ARGUS has the potential to be a bit dark for Flash. That made the crossover interesting though, seeing the contrast of the two heroes world. I'm not sure how Barry would react if he was faced with something horrific like Slade's mindgames from last season.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Good question, how would Barry react if his mother was stabbed by some bizarre supervillain?

Yeah but that happening to him in the past as a kid is different then a Slade reign-of-terror happening to him now, as an adult, with superpowers, in the present.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I think they've kinda wasted a lot of Roy's potential by not showing much of his relationship training with Ollie. Maybe the dude can't act? That would have been an interesting arc, and so far I haven't really seen why Roy would be so devoted to this guy who shot him and sent him to the hospital a few months back.

Aren't they always cutting scenes with Roy due to "time" and "pacing?" Kind of sucks though, you would think Ollie's relationship with his sidekick would be a major story element.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

They should have a several-episode mini-arc that is just all the poo poo that Roy is up to while he's off-screen. Could actually be funny if he's been doing "big deal" stuff in the background.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I dont know posted:

The Laurel substance arc was such a smashing success that they just had to replicate it for season 3.

Drunk Laurel was best Laurel. :colbert:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Well, gently caress...but that is the logical conclusion.

Also, Ras looked a lot bigger during the fight - originally I want sold on him but now I've changed my mind.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I still loved the line from Ra's about not needing a weapon because he was just going to take Oliver's. Can't even call it arrogance because it was just fact.

I don't think that there is anybody in the Arrow-verse who is even on Ra's level (that we've seen at least). Too bad that they can't blatantly mention Batman though, it might have been neat to get some variation of a "I've fought better men then you" line from Ra's.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I sort of imagine Barry thinking that he could beat Ra's because he's fast, but Ra's using that against him by basically doing a move that causes Barry to impale himself. Mainly because Barry isn't a really great fighter, he's hella fast.

I want to see Black Driver just shoot Ra's with a gun though.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah I don't think that he will literally shrink, I think that Palmer was more talking about miniaturizing weapons and gadgets so that they could all fit on his suit.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Xealot posted:

Flash tends to undersell that physical reality. Because it would be extremely horrifying if Barry accidentally shattered a bank robbers' sternum and destroyed his internal organs.

I think it would be pretty awesome if there was a show or comic who's entire premise was superpowers, but done realistically (meaning that if Superman punched you he would liquefy your face). Is there a comic like this?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Habibi posted:

But the list of names his father gave him seems to match similar books possessed by other people, which would make for a bizarre Argus conspiracy. I think Oliver eventually removes himself from Argus and then remembers he's got this list from his father that he should get working on (for a season).

Do you think that anything else will ever come from the book of names though? It's still sort of odd that several people apparently kept a list of the names of the participants in some shady business dealings. I always wonder if there is more to the list than that. :shrug:

(Not saying that I think it has anything to do with Argus though).

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

evenworse username posted:

Sure that body died but his consciousness was immediately downloaded into a new one.

There are only 12 vigilante models.

"To do this, I must become someone else. I must become something else."

:tinfoil:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

I guess Brick could be a meta, but it depends on if they want to have other metas before the particle accelerator explosion or not, because I get the impression that Brick has been a major player long before then? The first time he got shot I figured he was just grazed, but to me at least it looked like Diggle straight-up shot him in the head the second time.

Even though I knew it wasn't going to happen, I sort of wish that Oliver wouldn't have shown back up on screen until the season end, just to give everyone else more time to do the "pressing on without Ollie" thing.

I really want to be bugged by how Oliver's body survived that fall intact, but comic books. I just hope his resurrection is more interesting than magic herbs though. :shrug:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

evenworse username posted:

I actually kind of love that Roy, Oliver and now Laurel need these outlandish outfits with hoods and masks and lipstick to go fight the bad guys but Diggle just puts on his jacket.

Diggle doesn't give a gently caress. He should just start leaving behind 8x10 glossies of himself with "Bring it" scribbled on the front in marker.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Oracle posted:

But then there was a lot of cringe-worthy stuff in this episode, from the blatant law-breaking by Laurel setting up the mook to be killed in prison

What was cringe-worthy about this? I took it as Laurel wanting to threaten a law-ignorant thug to get what she wants. You could say it makes her a bad person - it does give me the impression that she's willing to bend the rules to get what she wants now - but I see this as the character being bad, not the show.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Yeah, sure. You just let us know how there's a "safe" way to stab someone completely through and throw them down a 100 foot cliff. That may be what what the show is going for though, since Maseo still seems to be working for Rhas despite the display of killing the Assassins in front of Oliver.

This is also the show with miracle herbs that cure all kinds of things, that the protagonist generally keeps for himself (as opposed to using them to help all kinds of people). Yeah, I don't really find the "100 foot not-so-bad" fall that satisfying, but it's looking like that is what happened.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

OK, that suit looks surprisingly cool.

I like how it has the Robocop issue though, where I'm probably going to wonder why nobody ever shoots him in the mouth. :v:

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Valeyard posted:

Didn't (in the new one anyway) the suit "detect danger" and drop the mask down to protect his face

I don't remember the faceplate in the new version really functioning any different than the old version, it's just plot protection really.

I want to say that the original Robocop, that was just his face stapled onto a cyborg head, but I'm probably misremembering and / or making that up.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I've been pretty irritated by the way the show has seemingly glossed over the fact Merlyn literally and gleefully murdered 500 people (and intended to kill many, many more), and characters going all "Woah I never thought of it that way" when somebody like Thea says,"Actually he was nice to me this one time" was pissing me off. I thought things had gone way too far over the top when Ollie shook his hand and Thea said,"Thanks for being cool about this" when the guy MURDERED 500 PEOPLE , so to have Felicity just straight up call Ollie out on this and completely refuse to accept Merlyn is the lesser of two evils or that they need to forgive and forget was like a breath of fresh air to me.

Yeah it's annoying, but this is basically par for the course with CW shows. Think about how the Vampire Diaries' repeated plotline seems to be "character feels bad for mass serial killer, because he flirted with me once." Logic is thrown to the side for drama.

Personally, on the episode where Merlyn walked into the Arrowcave and Diggle pulled the two guns on him, it would have been awesome if Diggle would have just started firing at Malcolm Merlyn, Mass Murder Who Just Infilitrated Our Base. Even if Merlyn got away (which is fine, because Barrowman rocks), it would have felt better, because Merlyn is one of the biggest enemies of the city, a terrorist, an all-around horrible guy.

Instead we get "well, he was nice to Thea once and maybe he could be saved, I'm sure the relatives of the 503 (known) people that he murdered will understand."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

AgentHaiTo posted:

I actually thought this was a trick to sick Merlyn on Brick because how could Merlyn have hacked Felicities webcam and she not know. Has Merlyn ever even shown any skills at computers?

It was probably just a thing the show did to make Merlyn look cool, even though it trivializes what Slade did and makes Felicity look pretty bad at her job.

• Locked thread