Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That scene came off to me like someone had the idea to do a good version of the Mission Impossible 2 bike joust, but then when they went to actually film it they just didn't/couldn't think or film as many of the cool ideas as they probably had. So the result is a couple of kind of cheesy looking back-and-forths, then a power slide that could've been neat but wasn't quite executed quickly enough to be truly awesome/impressive. Even the ending was kind of iffy. I mean, did Ollie take an arrow to the chest/shoulder and just brush it off? A for effort, but ultimately one of Arrow's few forgettable action scenes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Kadath posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sara was in Starling city looking for Merlyn and he killed her before she could complete her job.

The big hole in this logic is that if Merlyn was trying to not get caught/found by Sara, then simply hiding in Corto Maltese would have been way safer and easier. Coming all the way out just to kill her before flying back simply raises a bunch of red flags back at the league and makes him even more of a target. Seems much more likely that it was either Ra's or someone acting on his behalf for ~reasons~ that we'll find out eventually.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
When all you have is a bow & arrow, every problem starts looking like a thing you shoot arrows at.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Drifter posted:

There's literally no time, given the purpose of the tool, where a bow is better than a gun.

It's better if you need to be stealthy, which is pretty funny since silencers in movies/TV are completely silent anyway.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The first crossover episode is straight up called Flash vs Arrow. They haven‘t exactly been secretive about it.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I thought that was a pretty awesome episode and then the ominous ending with Ray and the secret weapons tech and then BAM surprise :swoon: Katrina Law :swoon: again and she's pissed.

I agree that the episode felt a bit disjointed in parts (Oliver's mini-talk with Thea cutting straight into an A-Team action scene being the most obvious example) but I don't really mind with this show because I know that they're squeezing so much into every episode because they have a bunch of ridiculous stuff planned. It's not like there's a worry that we'll have the main storylines wrapped up too quickly and then we have to sit through like 8 episodes of filler before the season finale or something.

Speaking of which I can't believe that that was the third episode. I realized while writing this that they have the Flash cross-over episodes this season, which are supposed to introduce the bad guy in Arrow's episode 7. That might mean that we have some of these storylines kind of accelerated a bit in order to get them resolved by episode 6 or 7, and it wouldn't surprise me if that acted as a sort of mid-season finale so that the very end of episode 7 introduces the bad guy and episodes 8 for both shows can be their own kind of mini-event. At least, I don't really see them working Barry and The Flash's storylines smoothly into this current League of Assasins/Ra's/Merlyn/Thea/Laurel situation.

But who knows, it's Arrow, so maybe they'll just blast through 4 more complete story arcs for everyone before this season is over.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well this season's been like all setup so far with Ray's introduction, the start of the "Who killed Sara?" plot, the start of Laurel's arc, and the catch-up with Thea. Pretty sure poo poo's about to hit the fan next week.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

hcreight posted:

So I guess Colton Haynes goes all out for Halloween. :stare:

http://instagram.com/p/umqUxFDTOc/

That's loving great.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tonight's episode is also the 50th of the show. Stephen Amell wrote a thing about it on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/posts/743938545691415

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I don't know, I buy it. While I generally expect Arrow to also give me a character's reasoning in really blatant exposition, it's pretty clear to me that Oliver isn't going to kill Malcolm because he somehow doesn't want to kill Thea's dad. Even if he knows nothing about the fact that they've met, it makes some psychologically-convoluted sense that robbing Thea of another parent is something that would rip Oliver apart.

Yeah I have no problems with Oliver letting Merlyn go and am kind of surprise that people seem to be having this negative of a reaction to it. It's totally flimsy comic book logic, but I don't see what's so egregious about Oliver not wanting to break his vows in order to kill his sister's new-found father who, despite everything he's done in the past, does in fact love her and will do everything he can to protect her. That's a fairly believable and much more difficult decision than the "Hey he's a bad guy shoot him you dummy" scenario people are making it out to be. Then again we've apparently also made up our minds on how bad this Ra's is going to be based on his (admittedly awkward) introduction so maybe it's just going to be that type of week.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Ollie's just TV poor, where he doesn't have enough money to do some things that the plot might occasionally require, but still has enough money to live a totally comfortable life.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
My favorite part is that the turrets still missed. I love it when super crazy/futuristic automated turrets/weapons in sci-fi shows/movies are somehow horribly inaccurate. Computers are like, super good at math guys.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Oh I wasn't complaining about the turrets, I thought they were appropriately goofy. It just instantly reminded me of that kind of stuff because it's one of the things I always notice. Like when a giant death robot from the future that can shoot lasers out of its butt is then awful at actually hitting anything despite the fact that being able to target things would kind of be trivial.

Habibi posted:

e: I think my favorite character so far this season is Ray Palmer, which may simply be the result of his ten minutes of total screentime.

Yeah I am absolutely loving what Routh is doing on this show. He's perfect at portraying Ray's totally sincere optimism and energy without coming off like some sort of ~whacky & quirky~ manic pixie dream girl equivalent. That's a character that could have been very, very obnoxious if he was written worse or played by an actor that wasn't as good of a match.

VDay fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 11, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I don't read comics but I feel like every other DC character I look up is "One of the greatest martial artists in the world". They sure seem to like their fightin' dudes/ladies.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

qbert posted:

So are they going to address all that other stuff Felicity said about how the angle and force of the arrows that killed Sarah are inconsistent with a bow and only make sense with Mirakuru throws?

I don't think they only make sense with Mirakuru throws, it's just that there was something weird about them and Roy's theory was a potentially fitting explanation.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
The DJ might be the most realistic character on the entire show. They're obviously going to do something with him and *knocks on wood* I kind of doubt it'll be a love triangle. They would've had Roy there at the club being depressed watching Thea flirt with/kiss him from afar if they wanted to do that.

The Felicity/Ollie stuff was a bit rough in parts, but the scene at the end where they go to Diggle's house was really nice. And then of course motherfucking Ashur :black101: I'm so happy that whoever's in charge of casting is just unabashedly mining the former Spartacus actors well because they realized how well the over the top characters of Spartacus transplant into the CW soap opera formula. They just need to get Liam, Dustin Clare, Viva Bianca, and Peter Mensah on. They'd be perfect as villains for a couple of episodes each.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Bad Moon posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_H0o5nf_pkA

New crossover trailer. Get hype motherfuckers

:circlefap:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That close-up of Ollie catching Barry's fist from those previews looks so gloriously cheesy. I can't loving wait.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Roy didn't come because they were just there to have star labs look at the boomerang, so Roy stayed behind to watch over things and hold down the fort.

There, problem solved.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I really like that the show keeps emphasizing the fact that Ollie is this emotionally-damaged weirdo instead of just pretending that everything's fine and he's great. Same thing with him being an often-terrible mentor. It makes the show feel really grounded, even as he fights ridiculous bad guys or pulls magic arrows out of his butt.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Aphrodite posted:

The weather is going to knock out my signal for the episode tonight.

drat it Barry you were supposed to fix this like 6 episodes ago.

CW is really good about putting new episodes up on their site. I'm on the west coast and I usually watch Flash/Arrow at like 11pm, just a couple of hours after they air.

Katrina Law and her awesome outfit/costume :allears:

And yeah no kidding about that second part.

e:

:swoon:

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 4, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Some Numbers posted:

Can Katrina Law just permanently join the main cast?

I would watch a spin-off about Katrina Law going around and doing poo poo for the league.

...and also Slade is just there with her for some reason.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well I think the implication is that if he fucks up and she decides to kill him, then she can simply get rid of his body however she wants and no one is going to go looking for him or asking questions. And I don't think he's a celebrity, at least not yet. He's still just the missing and presumed dead slacker son of a rich guy, he hasn't had his face all over TV for coming back from the dead like when he finally returned. He's not quite Paris Hilton just yet. I mean, do you know what Bill Gates's kids look like?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Rhyno posted:

So uh, Kaite's boots?

Is it not clear that it's cold outside and she wears them to keep her feet warm in shots where he feet don't need to be visible? Do we all not know how television works?

Who are you talking to?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Senerio posted:

Also the DNA is from the night of The Canary's murder. Ra's Al Ghul has literally ZERO motivation to want to kill some random schmuck.

By random schmuck you mean the woman his daughter and heir was in love with that he completely disapproves of and never thought of as a real member of the league? That's hardly "literally ZERO" motivation. I wouldn't really be surprised by the murderer being anyone at this point.

\/\/ Yeah fair enough.

VDay fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 8, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Scyantific posted:

Turns out the image was a fake, big surprise! :v:

That's a weirdly complex hoax considering that the image looks like it came from a video recording of an episode preview/trailer from someone's TV and not just like "Hey here's a screenshot I took of a totally secret video only I have." Man I hope the real thing looks as good or better :ohdear:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Boy so good thing that whole "Torture is totally necessary sometimes" episode aired last week instead of this week. That would've been a tiny bit awkward.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

dreffen posted:

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

I just watched the episode and my immediate thought was "Holy poo poo he just Spartacused him!"

Also,

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Himuro posted:

So am I the only one shocked at the sheer brutality of that scene for network tv?

TV censorship logic: they didn't show much blood and there wasn't any dismemberment, so it's totally cool for kids to watch! :downs:

Honestly them both being shirtless is probably going to generate more complaints than the fact that a dude stone-cold executed another dude before punting him off a cliff.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
And some completely fictional place called "Vancouver".

E: Is Starling City just Detroit?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Well I think he was kind of specifically talking about military tech, which kind of makes a little more sense than just "MICROPROCESSORS! GET IT?" But I just took it as a nod to the fact that he shrinks or whatever in the comics, since I think they said he wouldn't be doing any of that on the show.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
My name is Roy Harper, and no, I don't know what my deal is either.

e: Alternatively,

My name is Roy Harper, and I think everyone went somewhere and forgot to tell me again.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
That's a really awesome "fake".

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I can definitely see Barrowman saving him, with the idea that Thea would be really upset if he died as his reasoning. I mean, he is ~The Magician~ or whatever and faked his own death before. Would make sense that he'd know about the Pits.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Eddain posted:

This interview is old but I just noticed something.

Who's gonna teach him how to fight and what martial art is he gonna learn?

Thea's DJ not boyfriend is going to teach him how to drop some killer beats.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm guessing him and Laurel's on/off non-love-triangle non-relationship.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Jerusalem posted:

They can just do it like The Hunt for the Red October - a couple minutes of subtitled Russian and then they switch to English even though they're "really" speaking Russian.

Well the good news is that, at least initially, Ollie won't know any Russian so they'll just be talking in English. Hopefully they skip over that "learns Russian" bit instead of having like half a season where Amell spends 10-15 minutes of every episode butchering phrases and making me sad.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
To be fair, Oliver got stabbed in the chest as opposed to the heart, which in TV land might as well be a scratch if the writers want it to be. I could see him being recovered right after he fell and slowly nursed back to health with the stab wound being hand-waved away as "a very serious injury that almost killed you" or something similar. I mean, it'd feel pretty cheap to just have Oliver recover from a fight to the death with Ras by putting some scooby-doo bandaids on his wounds and having him take some magic flintstones vitamins, but it certainly isn't unthinkable.

Still, my money's on that quote from Amell being simple misdirection or maybe some kind of technically correct thing where he isn't just dunked in it but gets healed/revived by it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I dont know posted:

Well a perforated lung will kill you too, particular when combined with a steep vertical drop and hypothermia. I do like that he acknowledged that Oliver's bag of herbs are basically magic.

Oh for sure, I'm just saying that getting stabbed anywhere that isn't your heart or your head (and even then there's some wiggle room based on the stab) on TV falls under the "gunshot wounds are non-lethal 99% of the time" umbrella of injuries, so Ollie not needing a Lazarus Pit because he didn't actually die is still totally plausible if, again, kind of cheap (from a storytelling perspective).

• Locked thread