Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

VagueRant posted:

The more I think about the last episode, the more I dislike it.

There was a little part of me that hoped they would finally redeem Slade, at least somewhat. They hosed up the end of an otherwise fantastic season by having him still insist on his nonsensical vengeance even when he was cured of the Mirakuru madness. They could have fixed it here and said the Mirakuru crazy was still there and slowly faded or something. It wouldn't have made for much conflict, but how cool would it have been if he willingly helped train Thea and Ollie? Or hell, give him a crazy deathwish over the guilt of what he did - and the only way to get Ollie to kill him is in self-defense?

Even though the writers are clearly nostalgiac for Barrowman (he IS good) and season 1 - Slade was easily Ollie's greatest and most personal villain and will probably retain that crown. It sucks that his motivation and character comes down to something so stupid and pointless - and that Ollie still doesn't point that out. And then in this episode, he gets beaten up by Thea?!

I can't agree with this more about Deathstroke's motivation. It really seemed like a no brainer that Slade was acting the way he was about Shado because of the mirakuru. Wasn't the whole point of having Roy injected with the stuff a way to show the audience what mirakuru does to a control subject? Isn't it weird that Roy shows remorse and regret about the things he did whole under the mirakuru after he was cured, while Slade's personality was completely unaffected?

Slade should have slowly gotten a grip on what he was doing after being cured, but instead we are expected to believe that his pining for Shado was so deep and powerful that the man we knew in season 1 has been radically transformed into this vengeful monster. It is all the more absurd that he would get all that worked up about a crush because doesn't Slade reference the fact that he has children, and thus a family, early in season 1? But man, those spontaneous-stranded-on-an-island crushes are some of the hardest to shake I guess.

I suppose Shado's death and Oliver's role in it is what infuriates Slade, but his relationship with Shado was never developed as anything more than a crush. As a result, it falls flat when taken out of a mirakuru context. Her death's effect on Slade would have been a lot more justifiable had she been his wife or something.

Perhaps the real hidden power of mirakuru is that it stops all character growth and development, even after the subject has been cured. Slade's appearance in the last episode felt like pure fan service, as if the writers were going, "look guys! It's Slade and he is bad rear end just like he was in the last season, remember? Well here he is, same old Slade!" Honestly his appearance felt gratuitous. The broadest possible caricature of Slade from the last season was basically copy pasted into the script and no additional character development is provided at all. Heck, the only remotely positive thing from his appearance, Thea's dilemma about whether to kill him, could have been accomplished by another character in Slade's place.

All in all, a pretty bad episode. This season has really been dragging and I am hoping that the big reveal in tomorrow's episode reply gives the show a shot in the arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Roy was under the effects of Mirakuru for a relatively short time while Slade was for years. I think its reasonable enough to assume that the extended exposure Slade experienced had greater degenerative affects. Slade might just not be able to bounce back because all those years of being crazy might have fried his brains.

This is a better explanation that I hadn't thought of and quite like. However, I still think it would have been much more effective for Shado and Slade to have had SOMETHING together on screen. His motivation would have been on solid footing if it had both an actual, demonstrable emotional loss that wasn't fabricated out of whole cloth as well as a schizophrenia inducing super drug.

That said, I stand by my assertion that Slade's appearance in the last episode was very weak and fan service oriented.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

Plus, Oliver sent him to no-lunch solitary confinement on the island where most of the worst things in Slade's life occurred. Generally, people resent the ones that imprison them.

And the 'he should be more lucid' stuff happened anyway. The conversation at the end about Thea was drat near civil.

It would have been a heck of a lot more interesting if Slade's imprisonment was the focus of his anger this episode instead of playing second fiddle to the same old obsession.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I've been catching up with the season and man, it truly is a shame Roy isn't a regular anymore (specially with how much was Arsenal hyped at the beginning of the season). Truly a lot of wasted potential.

Yeah they hyped the hell out of that and the mid season death. Man, they've been erratic as hell this season. Anyone remember Wildcat? How about Brick? Hell, even Malcolm has been a huge letdown. They even hinted at a death in episode 18 and it just turned out to be "oops had to write Roy out of the show." It seems that Ray's storyline is over now too, unless he makes a big splash in the finale. Hell, they basically abruptly wrote out Waller too.

But anyways, for all its faults, this week's episode was the first competent one in a while. I just wish they had started this arc from episode 10 onward, perhaps with a Lazarus pit resurrection and some smudging of the prophecy thing. Remember when we were all excited that either Ray or Roy was going to be the face of Team Arrow for the second half? I'm sure the finale will give this season a bit of a boost in quality, but man was there a lot of wasted potential.

Of course, one of the other tragedies is the death of Felicity's character. When was the last time she played the role that popularized her enough to bring her into the main cast to begin with?

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Looks like Manu Bennet got arrested for assault. http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Actor-in-town-for-Alamo-City-Comic-Con-arrested-6502063.php

He can't even use the mirakuru excuse.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

The new season is going to be atrocious, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

I dont know posted:

Oliver's broke. Felicity is now the rich industrialist.

We'll see. They have at least acknowledged that last season was bad and said they are going to do better.

I'm curious, where did they acknowledge that? Maybe it is a good thing my expectations are low.

• Locked thread