Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

bobkatt013 posted:

Could be suicide squad or Huntress!

Oh yeah, wasn't there another rumor article that explicitly claimed there was a Huntress show in talks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Katie's a significantly better actress than Caity, I've got no problem with the replacement if it means they'll finally have something worthwhile to give to Laurel. I'd even go so far as to say I have hopes that she'll be better than Caity was. She doesn't have the physical/parkour/etc background but this show does excellent stuntwork. You can't sub in a stuntperson for line delivery.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

VagueRant posted:

You are the voice of my brain.

So disappointed and annoyed with the episode. Hit us full on with the show's worst points - bad dialogue, predictable cliché story arcs (Oliver has to fight himself, Lance has to not overdo it, Brandon Routh is basically Isabel Rochev, etc.) and a lot of incredibly boring shipper fodder. Then to top it off, they kill off one of the best characters in a random way that kind of felt like a 'gently caress you'. :smith:

Yeah I agree most of that. A lot of it just felt like forced soapy character drama. Don't get me wrong, I love character drama, but it has to actually be good. The breakneck pace of the show didn't serve the character drama well here, either. Sometimes that fast pace is good but sometimes it just makes developments feel messy, unearned, and under-developed.

One thing I disagree with was Routh, though, I thought he was quite fun and has a lot of potential.

And yeah, I really wish Sara wasn't killed off solely to serve as motivation for others in a scene where she had absolutely no agency of her own. If her target in Starling was the person who ended up killing her that'd at least sorta work, but it doesn't really make any sense based on the reaction she had to him.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

The gravestone shown on the promo could have been from when she was "dead" after being lost at sea

It definitely was, they showed the numbers.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

What's the deal with the comic book TV show threads being so completely full of spoilers with no tags at all? Isn't the rule still:

quote:

Are you talking about something that you only saw in a preview, or a commercial, or or due to a leaked ANYTHING? Then you need spoiler tags.

It's getting worse and worse to the point that almost every upcoming plot development is just openly talked about in the thread, pictures posted, whatever.

I get that a lot of people don't give a poo poo about spoilers but if that's gonna be the new standard, then maybe we should change the rules?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Goddamn that was a good episode. Best of the season.

Thea was, of course, a total badass. The scene where Malcolm just opens up on her and starts "forging" her was classic loving Bannerman, but it was also great because you see a Thea who just moments earlier was about to start crying out of self-pity suddenly dig deep, grab a sword and get into kill-a-bitch mode. I guess Malcolm was right about her untapped strength and how to access it after all. :haw: I mean, the daughter of loving Moira Queen and Malcolm Merlyn? That's a loving recipe for an iron loving will if I ever heard one. poo poo man, she's got more badass potential than Oliver just from that alone. Also her hair is really cute.

Laurel continues to be an absolute trainwreck in the most entertaining way possible. It's like they realized how well that arc worked last season and now they're just gonna lean into it, full tilt. Posters here (me included) often claimed that Katie Cassidy had the acting chops but just wasn't given anything to work with, now they're giving her all kinds of emotional mess and it looks like she's just loving it.

Brandon Routh also continues to be tons of fun, watching him play "haven't slept all night and jacked up on caffeine" was mesmerizing.

Also I want to say that I love when we get to see Ollie just do some no-frills spec-ops style battles, it's a good reminder of how much he could gently caress people up if he wasn't holding back. Wouldn't want it all the time, but once in a while is great. Makeshift bows were a really fun addition, and a great example to the question of "when could a bow possibly be more useful than a gun"?

I think the only time I was annoyed all episode was the ridiculous "HEY LAUREL YOU SHOULD FIGHT PEOPLE" pamphlet that Wildcat gave her, but even that was so over-the-top that all I could do was laugh.

sidenote: Holy rear end poo poo that episode had a lot of comic references in it, I didn't even catch most of them but I could tell they were there. They've actually mentioned OMAC in this show before this, right?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

thrakkorzog posted:

The sad part is that she is an ADA, and she couldn't come up with a better plan to take down a violent drunken felon with outstanding warrants leaving a bar than to hit him with a bat. (That she clearly did not know how to use.) She could have just as easily sent him to pound him in the rear end prison with a phone call, since she knew he was an alcoholic with outstanding warrants, driving away from a bar.

Think about that for a moment, she could have easily screwed his life up in a major way by dropping a dime on the guy, even if it was just for a DUI, and she went with the one plan where the violent alcoholic will be sore in the morning.

But Laurel wasn't looking to help out the battered woman, she was looking to do some battering of her own. She's filled with burning, grief-fueled, spiraling out of control rage and it doesn't make her want to make honest arrests, it makes her want to loving rip and tear and scream. Unfortunately, giving in to that desire is pretty much the worst possible thing she can do and will most likely just feed into her anger even more.

So in other words, you're 100% right, it was a completely flawed decision. One of my favorite parts of this show is probably how massively flawed the characters are.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dead Snoopy posted:

Was I NOT supposed to be laughing hysterically at her failure?

I love Laurel and her current arc but goddamn if that wasn't the funniest scene in the episode. Watch out Felicity, Laurel's coming after your comic relief job.

fake edit: Actually maybe Felicity and Laurel could make a great comic duo, their "google his phone or something" chat was beautiful. I guess that's a good thing if Canary and Oracle have good chemistry...

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Mr Beens posted:

I thought that was pretty weak.
They guy starts jumping out of the jeep before Diggle even reaches in. Diggle just puts his hand on his shoulder and they both fall off the jeep.

edit: Oops didn't see the new page with the gif and other people pointing this out.

It was also pretty obvious that that Jeep was moving about 3 miles an hour. Cool idea, flawed execution.

It seems like theme doing all this really great stunt/fight choreography, and in Flash with great effects to match, but the cinematography or direction or something sometimes lets it down, and doesn't make the action look as good as it could. Like that weird motorcycle joust where it was hard to even keep track of who was who.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah Roy's the new Laurel.

He's probably got an a Arsenal arc coming up. The whole Sara thing is obviously going to take center stage for a few episodes.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Roy desperately needs his own plot. At this point he's practically another action figure to use in fight scenes and a bit player in Thea's story.

I admire the show's ability to bumrush through plot points, but I'd love to see how Oliver trained Roy after the mirakuru wore off and they saved the city from Slade. I'd also like to see Roy dealing with the fact he killed a dude, but I'm not sure if the show remembers that.

That's not a bad idea. They're juggling so many plots right now that I'm not sure I want Roy to have a full story going, but a single Roy episode, like how this last one was a Thea episode, could definitely be good. Maybe follow that up with a short Arsenal arc much later in the season, when some of the current stories have had time to develop, I could see that working too.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

DapperDinosaur posted:

They're not. Colton Haynes is gay.

No, they are. He's available for everyone.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

There's just so much awful dialog in this show, it's getting hard to stomach. "I didn't kill your Beloved!" sorry Barrowman, even you can't save that line.

I think that's part of the problem we're having here: The story generally makes sense, but the dialog does such an awful job of presenting it that it makes it seem like nonsense. Oliver's attempt at explaining to Nyssa why she should take Malcolm at his word is the perfect example of that.

As DivisionPost said, Oliver believes Malcolm because he understands how Malcolm thinks, because that's how Oliver used to think, but the dialog didn't get that across at all. There is a plot that makes sense, to be sure, but you have to actively fight against the show to find it.

greatn posted:

The only thing I thought was particularly dumb was "Don't turn me into the police, I can escape instantly". Well, Oliver, you know maybe turn him into the police anyway, maybe he'll escape but being a good karate (b)arrow man doesn't instantly get you out of Blackgate.

There's also the consideration that it doesn't have to be black and white. He wouldn't escape from a supermax prison instantaneously. Getting him off the streets for a few weeks, or even days, would still be worthwhile.

Same thing with the "your only options are to murder me or to let me go completely free :smugdog:" BS. I know it's grisly but why couldn't Ollie cripple him somehow to try to make it a little harder for Malcolm to keep murdering people? They could come up with a good reason why Oliver doesn't want to do that, but as of yet they haven't addressed it.

Just a minor complaint, though. Mostly I felt it made sense - Oliver's keeping him alive so he can track down Sara's killer.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 30, 2014

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Kegslayer posted:

Yeah I was kind of hoping Felicity would walk in talking about how they were able to hold a guy who could literally turn into gas.

I mean there's no need for Ollie to straight out murder the guy in cold blood but I'm disappointed that he didn't shoot him in the shoulder or break his knee caps unlike another suited hero.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was talking about. If he doesn't wanna kill him (for several good reasons) he could at least slow him down.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Constantine screener and aired pilot are identical for the first 3/4. It's different on the rooftop slightly and then the second to last scene.

Yeah, and that last 1/4 is heavily-handedly rewritten. They had to make some kind of change because they didn't have the same actress any more, sure, but the way in which they chose to change it was absolutely awful. Put a really awful taste in my mouth.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Valeyard posted:

Yeah it was cool, but relies on there being a whole bunch of accurate data out there about the times at which the Arrow showed up to scenes...which is where it falls apart

Well, that part would work if he hacked into a police database. I don't remember if they said anything that would rule that out or not though.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Also, everyone in the story got screen time and it mattered like no one in the show felt periphery or unneeded. Well maybe Roy.

There was a really great scene where Cisco, Felicity, Caitlin, and Roy all in the Arrowcave tracking down Boomerang or the bombs or something, and the geek squad was all finishing eachother's sentences like "if I just retrace the ip phone hacking database frequency..." "...then I can ping that off a modified satellite router network government facial recognition..." "and we'll scan for trace elements of known bomb signature components using an algebraic algorithm!" while Roy was just standing there looking like this:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

So what's up with HIVE and Diggle's brother's death? Is that plotline just completely dropped?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

There is absolutely no rational argument you can make for an untrained civilian celebrity being as much of an asset -- much less a better asset -- to Waller as trained operatives that she already has under her command who can already do literally everything she wants Oliver to do, and do it better.

You realize that you are watching a show whose entire premise is that Oliver, as the Arrow, is a superhero who can outfight pretty much any government trained operative, right? You need to let go of your tactical realism. You're not watching Tom Clancy or whatever bullshit.

Oliver is going to be a better operative than pretty much anyone else, regardless of whether you think that's dumb because of his background. You keep talking about Waller "risking" something, but so far you haven't put your money where your mouth is. China is a total playground for her. She could care less about any civilian casualties there if the end result is her own personal James Bond.

Sure, there's no way she could know for sure that Oliver would turn out well, but there's very little risk other than the couple hours a week she spends herself on the project, so she may as well try to develop him.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Bruceski posted:

In the dead of night Slade breaks into Star labs, sneaks past a sleeping Wells and ties the shoelaces of Barry's suit together.

"Situational awareness, Barry!"

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

zoux posted:

Someone else is coming back.
http://imgur.com/a/isgTC#btt54sE

Dammit, Laurel, that's what happens when you get an unapproved high! We used to have someone to regulate our highs, but someone killed that guy. Oliver's gonna have to answer for this!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Soylentbits posted:

They really should be pronouncing it Raysh.

It bothers me, too. :colbert:

Not because I think one way is right or more accurate or anything, mind you, but just because I grew up hearing it said one way, in a really awesome show, so that's what I'm used to now. :smith:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

I don't necessarily know if we'll get to lazarus pits, but I've long suspected that the arrow writers are blowing smoke about the whole "Arrow won't have superpowers" song and dance they keep doing in interviews.

You don't go and introduce Mirakuru and then immediately put it and that fantastical world back in the box.

Also, a friend linked to a hideous io9 piece about how awful the Arrow crossover was, with the usual "Waller's actions don't make sense!" malarkey.

Seriously guys, she planted or at least fully knew how to disarm the bomb the whole time. That's kinda her schtick. It's also "shadowy espionage training manual bullshit 101", if you've ever watched even the slightest of spy shows.

The Waller complaint was defensible up until that episode, but yeah, I'm pretty sure she literally said something along the lines of "I, Amanda Waller, see that you, Oliver Queen, have great talent to become an operative, so get back to training." They can't possibly make it more clearer than that. I figured that was what she was doing with him, and now it's official.

But hey, sometimes people miss a line 'cause they're in the bathroom.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Scyantific posted:

You know for all this talk about the Lazarus pit, it's real easy to forget that we already have a miracle drug in Oliver's super miracle cure-all herb from Lian Yu.

Throughout the series that herb has:
-Cured Oliver on the island from various poisons and injuries
-Cured Slade's infected bullet wound
-Cured Diggle's Curare-laced bullet wound
-Cured Merlyn's Curare-laced bullet wound
-Cured Sara from a lethal dose of League snake poison

Pretty sure that thing is still going to be useful down the road.

Anyway, here's a promo video for tomorrow (spoilers, obviously)
Really liking how they're so into linking Flash and Arrow, as evidenced by one of Felicity's screens with the headline "STAR Labs Attacked by Yellow Blur"

Man good call. (I haven't read up on the thread but I'm assuming everyone's noticed that Ollie packed one of his little herb pouches along with him when he went to go fight Ra's, right? either that or it was a nice cotton bag of mp3s to listen to on the flight but that doesn't seem likely)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Strange. Hurt. Those names seem like bad omens. I think I'll just stick with Dr. Crane, then.

Of all the references, I can honestly say I never expected to see a Frasier call-out in this thread.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Good return to form. It was great to see a bigger focus on the rest of the team, especially Roy, who's always in the background. I'm really glad to see they're finding better ways to make him have an "acrobatic" fighting style in a way that actually kinda looks cool.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Possibly not, if Brick was careful to leave everything sealed. Possible in the sense that there's like a 0.001% chance it wouldn't be thrown out.

Sure, in a non-corrupt court, but judging by the hearing we saw Laurel participate in this episode - in which it was ruled that arrest by crazed vigilante with bow & arrow is totally valid - Starling City Judges seem to be the "I'm Going To Allow This" types.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

How did Felicity drop the gate again? Like, she hacked the...factory?

Also Laurel should probably have used a voice modulator considering she was beating up a dude who's been hearing her voice a lot in court. Well, maybe she just didn't see one lying out in the open like the rest of the stuff they looted off Sara's corpse.

Sure she should have, but on the other hand I really enjoy the "Laurel is an absolute hot mess of a superhero" angle.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

VDay posted:

Numb3rs is also the show where they described two people talking on IRC as two boats passing each other in the ocean, and treated 1337-speak as some kind of actual foreign language despite the fact that there's a loving number in the show's name.

:wtc: That show started in 2005, people knew what chat rooms were. I guess that says a lot about its demographic.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Hahaha, Thea us really easily manipulated. She thought being her dad's human shield was HER idea.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

RAYSH

MASEO I LOVE YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Azhais posted:

People survive falling out of planes, physics is weird.

I suppose we have no real reason to assume he fell down that whole height in one drop. That's what would have been organ-crushing. If he sorta tumbled/slid/rolled down the cliffs, onto a snowbank, that would have helped significantly.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

hangedman1984 posted:

She could have been bluffing. Its not like this show has a history of being completely incompetent when it comes to understanding how the legal system works

...oh...wait

I don't see how this was incompetence, she was just being blatantly corrupt, as fits her current "total lack of any regard for law" character.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

It also fits into the show's opening voiceover: "To the city, I am someone else... something else."

Oliver's become a symbol, as the Arrow. Laurel and Roy are trying to use the same symbolism to cover for their shortcomings.

I like how we're seeing just how much Oliver was not a superhero when he came back. It's giving me a better sense of how Oliver saw what he was doing at the start of the show, and how he really did just see his late-night antics as nothing more than just another wetwork assassination mission.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Lance owned Harper so bad :lol:

Put one more notch under ”of course Lance realizes who the Arrow is and is either pretending/in denial”.

Also, I've really come to like Harper as a respectable superhero.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

We'll see if it sticks, at all, but I do like that just maybe, Felicity may be realizing how much she's putting Oliver up on a pedestal and how different the actual man is from the Super Justice Hero she fantasizes about. And that hoping that she'll Fix him is probably a really terrible idea. (although actually she's been doing a really good job of being a good influence and is probably one of the key reasons he decided to stop being a murderer IIRC. she shouldn't be his girlfriend, she should be his therapist)

Narcissus1916 posted:

But I really wish Sara had died for a better reason than this Rube Goldberg crazy convoluted plot schema they've got going.

I was thinking about the bad things Merlyn has done earlier tonight, and I honestly had to think for a minute to remember just why in the gently caress he even killed Sara in the first place. That was a pretty big fuckin' stretch.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Also she's Japanese, not Chinese.

That makes it even worse, even more stereotype-y writing.

I'm watching the chronological Lost cut right now, and it's really funny seeing the Korean couple's backstory, where the wife is this Ultra-Rich daughter of a hotel magnate. But then when you get to the island - when the start of the show happens, and the flashbacks haven't developed her character yet, and the writers haven't decided on her backstory yet - suddenly she morphs into this hilarious Ancient Chinese Secret pastiche who's passing out Herbal Wisdom about using all the native plants to heal wounds and cure asthma and poo poo. When actually, she's loving Korean Paris Hilton and has no goddamn reason to have any idea about any of that other than "Is Asian".

Point is, to mainstream writers, every single Asian knows all the Ancient Lost Secrets of the herbal medicinal arts and they're lucky if their country of origin is even differentiated.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Okay yeah sure, let's make the thing we were just complaining isn't even being explained into a racial thing with details we made up.

We don't need to make a big deal of it, it's such a minor element, but it kinda is a racial thing. The reason it hasn't been explained at all is most likely because they felt "hey she's Asian" was a good enough explanation for any homebrew medical miracles she's able to pull off. You likely wouldn't see this plot thread with an Irishman or a Frenchman or a Russian or a New Zealander. See Also: Yao Fei.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Xtanstic posted:

It's really amusing how some characters notice the tiniest discrepancies like Sin or Barry's Dad but some remain in the dark like with Iris or Lance.

My favorite part of this was how Lance actually showed up under both categories this episode, instantly recognizing a costumed Roy, while showing utter shock & bewilderment that Sara wasn't Sara despite how obvious that should have been. Blind spots! :haw:

A bunch of other random comments:

I really like that both Arrow and Flash are starting to step up and become public figures to their city right now, it's a really fun element of these origin stories. I guess something about how Ollie's speech was shot was a little "meh", but it was still a fun moment.

Young Tommy was a horrible actor and I hope he never comes back.

Is it me or is it odd that they never got into what the hell was going on with Brick's apparent superpowers? Should we take that as a sign that he'll be showing up again? He is a fun badguy.

Someone else commented that now that Ollie is back and Brick is dealt with, we're pretty much right back at where we started, and they thought that was lame. But I think I actually like that. Because they're in the same situation, but the characters themselves have grown a lot. Roy & Laurel have both become way more capable, which is great. I'd say Laurel is maybe up there are Season 1 Roy level - "Good at taking a beating and not much else" - which is still way above where she started! Dig has two guns now. The team is more personally committed as well, since they had to come to face with why they're doing this and decide it is for themselves and not just to be Oliver's lackey, even Felicity.

Wildcat's willing to jump back into the game if need be (and still alive?), Merlyn may be on the verge of trying to start to be an anti-hero, and Felicity & Roy are making steady progress and may be close to debuting another new hero in the Atom. And Oliver has seen what he's going to be fighting against, and is trying a new approach, working with Merlyn to become a more ruthless fighter.

They're facing the same enemy, but Ra's isn't facing the same group anymore.

(also yes I'm exaggerating about Laurel, she can clearly beat up a mook or two)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 5, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Except literally everyone else is using a mask.

Or am I missing :thejoke:

They also black out their eyes:

Even Sara did, only Laurel doesn't. Which is fine with me, it's another element of "has no idea what is doing, just trying to copy others, poorly".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Now that I look at it, is Laurel actually wearing a mask that doesn't fit her (as if it were Sara's, even though it doesn't look like the exact same prop), and it doesn't perfectly contour to her face, and the bridge of her nose, like the other characters' custom masks do? That's a neat little detail if so. And makes me think she'll get her own mask eventually.

• Locked thread