Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
yeah this always works out

quote:

Hewlett-Packard Co. HPQ +2.00% plans to separate its personal-computer and printer businesses from its corporate hardware and services operations, the latest attempt by the technology company to improve its fortunes by breaking itself in two.

The company intends to announce the move on Monday, people familiar with the plan said. It is expected to make the split through a tax-free distribution of shares to stockholders next year, said one of the people.

If the division goes off as planned, it would give rise to two publicly traded companies, each with more than $50 billion in annual revenue.

A number of big companies, including eBay Inc. EBAY -0.77% in tech, have chosen to break up lately, in part because of a belief that operations with different growth profiles are best managed as separate entities. H-P, which has suffered sharp sales declines, sees better long-term potential for its corporate hardware and services business than for its printer and PC unit, said one person familiar with the plan.

Ralph Whitworth, an H-P investor who until recently was its chairman, said about the news in a text message Sunday: “This would be a brilliant move at just the right moment in the turnaround. It would liberate significant trapped value.” As of June, the firm Mr. Whitworth co-founded, Relational Investors LLC, owned a roughly 1.5% stake in the company.

The impending move, first reported Sunday by The Wall Street Journal, set off a round of speculation in the industry about whether the separation could lead to more deal making.

The Journal recently reported that for much of the past year, H-P held talks to merge with data-storage equipment maker EMC Corp. EMC +0.49% , a deal that would have created an industry giant with a market value of roughly $130 billion. Although the talks recently ended, the separation could pave the way for H-P’s corporate hardware and services business to ultimately be combined with EMC, industry observers said.

The planned breakup is one that Palo Alto, Calif.-based H-P and its investors have long contemplated. H-P came close to hiving off its PC operation in 2011, when it announced the ill-fated acquisition of U.K. software company Autonomy Corp. H-P said then it was exploring a separation of its PC business, only to decide two months later to hold on to it amid pressure from shareholders, which led to the departure of then-Chief Executive Leo Apotheker.

H-P in 1999 spun off Agilent Technologies, a maker of electronic-testing gear and other hardware. Agilent subsequently announced plans to break itself up.

In 2012, under current H-P Chief Executive Meg Whitman, the company reorganized itself to combine the PC business with its more profitable printer operation, helping pave the way for the current plan.

Ms. Whitman is slated to be chairman of the PC and printer business, to be known as HP Inc., and CEO of the other company, to be called Hewlett-Packard Enterprise, said one of the people familiar with the plan. Current lead independent director Patricia Russo will be chairman of the enterprise company, while Dion Weisler, an executive in the PC and printer operation, is to be CEO of that business, this person said.

In the 2013 fiscal year ended last October, the Printing and Personal Systems Group, as it is known, reported $55.9 billion in revenue, about half of H-P’s total. Sales for the operation dropped 7.1% amid fierce competition, compared with a 6.7% decline for company revenue as a whole.

Last year, H-P lost its place as the largest PC maker by shipments, slipping to No. 2 behind China’s Lenovo Group Ltd 0992.HK +0.68% , according to industry research firm IDC.

H-P, founded in a garage in Palo Alto 75 years ago, has been undergoing a multiyear restructuring under Ms. Whitman in an effort to stem sales declines. Aside from the PC and printer business, H-P’s revenue comes from selling services and hardware such as servers and data-storage systems to corporations, along with software and financial services.

H-P’s shares have risen sharply since the beginning of last year, but they remain well below their highs in recent years—and the even loftier levels they reached during the 1990s tech boom. H-P shares increased 2% on Friday to $35.20, giving it a market capitalization of nearly $66 billion.

In response to lower sales and to provide a lift to its shares, H-P has laid off tens of thousands of employees and cut other costs.

Ms. Whitman has sought to push H-P further into growth pockets such as “cloud” software, but the company has struggled to make headway in such areas.

The recent wave of breakups and spinoffs at technology companies and in the wider corporate world has been fueled by the idea that companies with a narrower focus perform better. The moves in many cases have been well-received by shareholders—and sometimes actively sought by them.

Last Tuesday, online-auction pioneer eBay, where Ms. Whitman was once CEO, announced a plan to spin off its PayPal payments-processing unit. Shareholders rewarded eBay’s decision, pushing the company’s shares up about 7.5% that day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
buy lots of whatever doesn't keep the HP name

it worked for Agilent

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
does hp still make good scientific equipment

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i have an hp microserver n54l as my home nas and it is thoroughly needs suiting

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Scott Forstall posted:

yeah this always works out

This is a plan to spin off the dead weight.

Apr 7, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

does hp still make good scientific equipment

They spun that division off as Agilent.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Citizen Tayne posted:

This is a plan to spin off the dead weight.

but the whole thing is dead weight

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Citizen Tayne posted:

They spun that division off as Agilent.

oic :tipshat:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Scott Forstall posted:

but the whole thing is dead weight

:thejoke: ?

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

see? free market will break up monopolies by themselves. the system works.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

heh. still having my morning coffee

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hp's tale is very sad

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

H-P

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

quote:

The Journal recently reported that for much of the past year, H-P held talks to merge with data-storage equipment maker EMC Corp. EMC +0.49% , a deal that would have created an industry giant with a market value of roughly $130 billion. Although the talks recently ended, the separation could pave the way for H-P’s corporate hardware and services business to ultimately be combined with EMC, industry observers said.

eww gross

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
carly did it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if they don't call one company hewlett and the other company packard than why the gently caress are they even bothering.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Hewletts-Packard

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

*~the computer is personal again~*

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

maniacdevnull posted:

Hewletts-Packard

Packards-Bell

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

Bell-End. lol.

Apr 7, 2003

Egan Yardley posted:

Bell-End. lol.

lol

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
looks like hp has low hp :smug:

Space-Pope fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 6, 2014

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Last Chance posted:

hp's tale is very sad

you are profoundly misunderstanding the meaning of at least one word in this sentence

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
one of them should add "labs" back into their name

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
yeah HP should have spun off the industrial / test&measurement / etc type poo poo as it's own company instead of just firing all the good engineers. at least let them try to survive on their own, they made good poo poo.

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

yeah HP should have spun off the industrial / test&measurement / etc type poo poo as it's own company instead of just firing all the good engineers. at least let them try to survive on their own, they made good poo poo.

They did that. Agilent Technologies.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
oh okay cool

i thought they fired all the people

Apr 7, 2003

Sniep posted:

oh okay cool

i thought they fired all the people

They spun off the best part of the company as Agilent Technologies and I'm sure someone in charge who made that decision made a lot of money from it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you are profoundly misunderstanding the meaning of at least one word in this sentence

which one

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Citizen Tayne posted:

They spun off the best part of the company as Agilent Technologies and I'm sure someone in charge who made that decision made a lot of money from it.

good. im glad, i was aware of the connection between HP and agilent in the back of my mind, but not really consciously that that was the eng groups spun off, it makes sense now and good for them.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

to be perfectly honest hp, with its ups and downs, has been pretty ok at preserving value as they go along, and i think this is another pretty good move

a company just making high-end laser printers, calculators and oscilloscopes would not have made the money hp has done, even though it sort of dirtied a nerd favorite brand on the way. as it turns out nerd cred is almost exactly as worthless as it sounds like

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

to be perfectly honest hp, with its ups and downs, has been pretty ok at preserving value as they go along, and i think this is another pretty good move

a company just making high-end laser printers, calculators and oscilloscopes would not have made the money hp has done, even though it sort of dirtied a nerd favorite brand on the way. as it turns out nerd cred is almost exactly as worthless as it sounds like
nah they took a brand that had impeccable nerd cred from the 1980s and spent that cred down to push janky cheapjack inkjet printers. they made a lot of money from people buying hp crap for their home and small office under the assumption that hey hp is good quality right

hp is in bad shape going forward. its core businesses are in sharp decline (printing, windows machines) and it has entirely missed the boat on anything that has come along in the current millennium (mobile, smartphones, tablets, web, services, social, etc). what, exactly, is hp good at right now? what field do they dominate? where is their high-margin golden goose?

its on the way to that graveyard of once-great tech companies (enterprise consulting and contracting and staffing) where it will join xerox and ibm and eventually dell and microsoft. hope there are enough government agencies and f500 it contracts to go around for everyone (spoiler: there wont be)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
high school chum of mine works for hp and when I met him for coffee in 2009 he gave me unending poo poo about me being a useless state worker and how he wanted to vote for whitman so bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fact that they called them the "envy" series is one of the only clever pieces of branding in the last 5 years

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

also did I read that right they're getting rid of 45-50k people? or is that the total headcount afterward?

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
the 55k number going around includes already announced layoffs, most of which are already complete

they'll still have like 300000+ people between the two companies

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

qirex posted:

also did I read that right they're getting rid of 45-50k people? or is that the total headcount afterward?

they are killing 50k people

Arse points out that that's equivalent to google's entire workforce

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

qirex posted:

getting rid of 55k people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I imagine a lot of those are overseas folks on huge teams but drat that's a big number

• Locked thread