Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
like basically 50k of the layoffs were already announced, 36k are complete and from what i've read the split will involve another 5k likely of staff that does work across the two major groups like in sales and such

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I imagine a lot of those are overseas folks on huge teams but drat that's a big number
the only silver lining is that theyre being kicked out into a p decent job market

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FMguru posted:

the only silver lining is that theyre being kicked out into a p decent job market
it's decent because there's not enough job seekers, this fresh infusion of human capital might impact the market a bit

ofc nobody wants to train anybody for even a week so I imagine a lot of interviews will be like "yes I see you have 15 years of development experience but I'm not seeing jira on your resume..."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
yeah i said decent not good or booming

and the current tech job market is better than say looking for work after your auto plant was shuttered in 2008 (speaking of which, i see tesla now has 4000 people employed at the old nummi plant in fremont, just a little short of the 4500 people that were working there before the economic meltdown)

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Space-Pope posted:

looks like hp has low hp :smug:

laughed unreasonably loudly @ this

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
their home printers are bad but then again all home printers are bad

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Yodzilla posted:

all printers are bad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there are good printers they are just hideously expensive and require constant maintainance and a separate outboard server and UI

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

lol wrong thread

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

question: does this mean i have to split my hp printer in two as well? tia

Ericadia
Oct 31, 2007

Not A Unicorn
my Brother HL-2280 printer suits my needs

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

i have this for the one time a month i have to print and the one time a year i have to scan

wireless and suits my needs

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

don't ever buy an inkjet

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

qirex posted:

don't ever buy an inkjet

I can't hear you over the sound of my needs being suited

slip proof stairs
Oct 22, 2012

qirex posted:

don't ever buy an inkjet

laser printer supremacy

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Egan Yardley posted:

I can't hear you over the sound of my needs being suited

ya

i like my epson artisan 835

it works and ink is cheap and lasts for ever and prints good photos and scans and copies in color and all sorts of poo poo that is nice ot not have to find a fedex office for

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Whenever someone types "ya" I imagine that they actually mean "yeah" but are illiterate.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

slip proof stairs posted:

question: does this mean i have to split my hp printer in two as well? tia
it is still unclear

better do it anyway, just in case

Egan Yardley
Jun 11, 2010

ill buy any printer if its got wireless, my computer space is too cluttered and hosed up to have a printer there wasting space 29 days of the month

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

Bananalogue posted:

they are killing 50k people

Arse points out that that's equivalent to google's entire workforce

that's also more than double apple's non-retail workforce

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Gotta love the mismanagement where HP can fire over 50,000 employees, spin off into two companies, and then boast about how it will let them acquire more companies.

Source: http://www.crn.com/news/data-center/300074299/crn-exclusive-whitman-says-hp-split-frees-up-enterprise-company-to-eye-acquisitions.htm

I'm somewhat scared they'll acquire my company :ohdear:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
reminder that hp spun the test equipment division off into agilent, and then agilent spun it off again into keysight

what a bullshit name.

keysight

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Raluek posted:

reminder that hp spun the test equipment division off into agilent, and then agilent spun it off again into keysight

what a bullshit name.

keysight

maybe hp will pull an at&t in 10 years and all the spinoffs will come back together

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
hey did they spin of the sceince division yet

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Raluek posted:

what a bullshit name.

keysight

Apotheker was right

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
i got a hp printer about a month ago

someone left a hp 1320n on the side of the road in the blazing sun, i took it back and plugged it into the network and it prints great, it can even do duplex printing
and it turns out the previous owner upgraded the ram in the printer to a whopping 16+128MB

it was also quite fitting that this replaced the hp photosmart p1000 printer

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

DaNzA posted:

the previous owner upgraded the ram in the printer

Why the hell is this even a thing you can do?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TerminalRaptor posted:

you know how a laserjet 4 stops after 2 pages and has to pull the next couple pages from the computer?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

TerminalRaptor posted:

sometimes someone need to print at more than 72 dpi and something that isn't old dilbert comics

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

its me

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
hp makes a poo poo ton of money from selling toner, that poo poo is like 85% profit

also lol if ur business buys from office depot/staples

lol if u insist on OEM but also lol if u buy a lovely chinese reman that blows up in the printer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Scott Forstall posted:

Apotheker was right

you mean the idiot that bought autonomy and announced he was selling the PC division, thereby tanking both its price and corporate sales?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
HP is an amazing company because it has endured 20 years of the worst goddamn executives and board of any company ever without going out of business. that's some kind of miracle.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Carly Fiorina
Patricia Dunn
Mark Hurd
Leo Apotheker
Meg Whitman

holy loving poo poo

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

DaNzA posted:

i got a hp printer about a month ago

someone left a hp 1320n on the side of the road in the blazing sun, i took it back and plugged it into the network and it prints great, it can even do duplex printing
and it turns out the previous owner upgraded the ram in the printer to a whopping 16+128MB

it was also quite fitting that this replaced the hp photosmart p1000 printer
a printer cast out from heaven

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Citizen Tayne posted:

Whenever someone types "ya" I imagine that they actually mean "yeah" but are illiterate.

correcting the spelling of an onamonapia

the most tori cmos thing???

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

HP is an amazing company because it has endured 20 years of the worst goddamn executives and board of any company ever without going out of business. that's some kind of miracle.
it used to be a neck-and-neck race between yahoo and hp for worst board in the valley, but marissa brought some semblance to leadership to yahoo (along with her delightful, infectious laugh) so now hp reigns alone as tech's shittiest board of directors

Waroduce posted:

hp makes a poo poo ton of money from selling toner, that poo poo is like 85% profit
people are printing a lot less than they did five or ten years ago, which has actually hit hps bottom line quite dramatically

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

it makes me think of fargo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAVuE524Gk

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

FMguru posted:

nah they took a brand that had impeccable nerd cred from the 1980s and spent that cred down to push janky cheapjack inkjet printers. they made a lot of money from people buying hp crap for their home and small office under the assumption that hey hp is good quality right

hp is in bad shape going forward. its core businesses are in sharp decline (printing, windows machines) and it has entirely missed the boat on anything that has come along in the current millennium (mobile, smartphones, tablets, web, services, social, etc). what, exactly, is hp good at right now? what field do they dominate? where is their high-margin golden goose?

its on the way to that graveyard of once-great tech companies (enterprise consulting and contracting and staffing) where it will join xerox and ibm and eventually dell and microsoft. hope there are enough government agencies and f500 it contracts to go around for everyone (spoiler: there wont be)

i mean, this is precisely what i am talking about; sure they lost cred sold bad inkjet printers, but they made a ton of money off of it, and money is worth more money than cred. also sure they aren't in anything of the fotm modern now, but they are making a lot of money where they are (sort of a tech sickness to always imagine that new is replacing old, like predicting that a company making fridges is bound to go out of business when it missed the invention of the microwave). bringing in ibm is pretty apt as well, since ibm is ridiculously successful having done one of these transformations, and there is little reason to think that hp can't do at least ok in same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

PleasingFungus posted:

correcting the spelling of an onamonapia

why do you have to bait me so? :mad:

• Locked thread