Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Whos your favorite Koopaling? Mines larry koopa. Im glad theyre in more and more games now, what with larry being playable in both smash AND mario kart 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Wormskull posted:

I don't really like the Koopa Kids.

Why not?

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
When I was a kid I really liked Lemmy, but Larry is my absolute favorite now, bar none.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

qnqnx posted:

why the color scheme change, anyways

Huh? Are you talking about Super Mario World? Many of the Koopalings were depicted as being totally different looking in SMW. I don't consider their appearance in SMW to be canon.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

PantsBandit posted:

find a new thread, troll

Easy there, PantsBandit. The man is simply giving his opinion on the Koopalings.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Wormskull posted:

They got stupid hair and bowser's just cooler. Hell even baby bowser is more badass.

Alright.. Sorry, but you're flat out wrong. Baby bowser is a little fucker who cant do anything without Kameks help, and the koopalings are a clan of seven badass koopa kids with their own unique appearances and personalities, and names based on Punk rock musicians. Baby bowser/bowser jr is just a little loving Twerp.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

qnqnx posted:

No, this time you go gently caress yourself. NEVER disrespect SMW

I think you're misunderstanding. I think Super Mario World is a great game, and I would say it's my favorite Mario game. But I don't think the Koopalings are properly represented in the game. Let's take a look:

Seriously - the only one that they got right was Wendy O. Koopa. They got Roy half right, they gave him his shades, but he's silver. Someone at Nintendo hosed up, bigtime.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
I think maybe they just couldn't get the right color palettes to work or something, because they all have their proper "looks", just the wrong colors.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Seriously - what's not to love about these guys?

I was overjoyed to see that Nintendo started bringing these guys back into the mainstream Nintendo media. I remember as a kid, playing Mario 64, and thinking to myself - will they ever bring these awesome characters back? I visited fansites like lemmykoopa.com and read all sorts of Koopalings fan fiction and was disappointed time and time again when Mario Sunshine came out, and in their place is that twerp Bowser Jr., and "Koopa Kids" that were actually Bowser Jrs were plastered all over the Mario Party games, and Mario Galaxy had no sign of the ragtag bunch, either. Even though they were in Superstar Saga, it didn't feel like a true return - it just felt like they were shoehorned in. When I saw that they were back in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, I was ecstatic, although I never actually got to play that game. To see them PLAYABLE in Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Brothers of all things? I just can't find the words to describe my joy.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Gyra_Solune posted:

Baby Bowser and Bowser Jr are entirely different people. Baby Bowser is Bowser as a baby, and is obviously not a Koopaling since he can't be his own son. Bowser Jr's pretty much a Koopaling since in all the games he appeared in he served the same role as a small Bowser-ish midboss, only he was just one character so they didn't have to animate and voice 7 different models, and it's only recently the Koopalings came back since they were popular with fans (though they were bosses in Superstar Saga which was pretty neat, even if I played SMW after that so I was slightly confused).

Baby Bowser's a little annoying piece of poo poo, Bowser Jr's simply slightly less of a twerp but he's still not that great. He was fun in Mario Kart Wii though.

You really think I don't know this? Technically and canonically they're different, but in appearance and personality they might as well be the exact same. He's a little loving brat and I want to punch his loving nose in.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Im jealous of this kid,actually. I think itd be fuckin RAD to have plushies of all 7 koopa kids.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

sharrrk posted:

I like Larry Koopa the most too, OP. I'm not really sure why though. I mean, I guess his hair is pretty cool, but of all the Koopalings he seems to be the one most lacking in personality. The others all fit into different archetypes, like the cool one, the smart one, the strong one, etc. But Larry doesn't. Maybe that's why I like him the most; by not being a stereotype, he is the most real of all the Koopalings. I'm curious about your thoughts on this, OP.

Yeah, I think so too. He's the most straight-forward and plain of all the Koopalings, but he's still cute and still has a cool blue mohawk and some tiny little fangs. The Mario Kart 8 japanese trailer depicted him as the "Koopa Troop's Special Squad Leader" and the promotional renders have him at the forefront. Even the Nintendo of Canada official Twitter header had his render among all the top Mario characters like Mario himself, Peach, Yoshi, Luigi, Bowser, etc., and he's the first Koopaling to appear when choosing Bowser Jr's alternate skins. I think it's safe to say that Larry is the "main" Koopaling.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

koolkal posted:

larry looks like the 3rd most unfit to run the koopa brigade from that pic

I wrote a 50-page essay on how either Roy or Ludwig would take over ruling the Mushroom Kingdom in Bowser's absence

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Austrian mook posted:

It's good to see they're getting "main nintendo icon" treatment, just like Rosalina started getting.

Yeah.

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

Soral posted:

does birdo have any connection at all to the koopa kids. asking for a friend,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW

oddium posted:

the koopalings are p bad and the only reason people like them is because of nostalgia. they're all ugly and three of them look identical.

kammy koopa is p much the only good bowser substitute because she's a cute old lady witch

I dont give a poo poo what you think is "p bad", and youre loving blind if you think any of them look identical. Maybe in the old games, but with their new designs they all look and feel like totally different and unique characters. The fact that you bring up Kammy Koopa of all characters makes me think youre either a troll or a lovely BYOB poster.

• Locked thread