Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Senor Candle posted:

I loving love in Magneto Rogue just straight up said "I DIDN'T MEAN THAT THING ABOUT YOU BEING WORSE THAN A NAZI"

Bunn did a good job backpedaling/spinning that comment into something that made sense with Magneto guilt-tripping himself thinking about how he's become so reviled and killed so many people after being a villain so long that he might as well be up there with Red Skull in the public eye. Then he gets his groove back and puts together Team Villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

frgildan posted:

I think it's that when Namor came to Doom he's broken and a shell of the man he used to be. Magneto has made a mistake but he's owning up to it and ready to face it full on. I guess Namor should have gotten a pep talk from a former victim before going to Doom.

I still don't see how killing a Charles Xavier powered Red Skull is a mistake by squishing his head. You can't incapacitate him by tying him up, and no one would have guessed that killing him would result in an Onslaught with tentacles would be unleashed. The one time "If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." not only works, but works for a Nazi no less. :godwin:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Bunn did a good job backpedaling/spinning that comment into something that made sense with Magneto guilt-tripping himself thinking about how he's become so reviled and killed so many people after being a villain so long that he might as well be up there with Red Skull in the public eye. Then he gets his groove back and puts together Team Villain.

Bunn did a great job and is making an event that I want to read. Remender is doing a horrible job. But maybe it is simply impossible to write a Big Marvel Event and it actually be good.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

notthegoatseguy posted:

Bunn did a great job and is making an event that I want to read. Remender is doing a horrible job. But maybe it is simply impossible to write a Big Marvel Event and it actually be good.

What about Infinity and Original Sin?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Honestly, the whole Thanos/Thane arc of infinity was pretty lame overall. Thanos' son we have never heard of before is the one that beats his dad, who is only on earth for him in the first place. Kind of makes the whole arc a bit of a nonstarter. The terrigen mists are released and there are a bunch of new inhumans, but that's probably just some gimmick to have mutant style characters in the movies.

The Builders arc was loving great though.
'
We haven't really seen thane or planet annihilus used since though and that's a bit of a let down.

Also, I kind of feel like maybe no one is supporting the Cabal so much as who could possibly really stop them? The second you 'stop' the Cabal we are all murdered by incursions or they blow up the Earth themselves and run away into space.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 16, 2014

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

bobkatt013 posted:

What about Infinity and Original Sin?

I feel like I'm the only person here who thought Original Sin was barely okay, let alone good.

I wanted to avoid SIXIS but two books I like are tied into it so whatever. The main book so far seems to be in extended BOSS BATTLE mode, Magneto was where half the plot went in so far as how all these other villains got dragged into it, and Loki was a riot from start to finish. Somebody get this team on a DOOM book full time. All you need is Doom. Doom. Doom is all you need.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Nevvy Z posted:

Honestly, the whole Thanos/Thane arc of infinity was pretty lame overall. Thanos' son we have never heard of before is the one that beats his dad, who is only on earth for him in the first place. Kind of makes the whole arc a bit of a nonstarter. The terrigen mists are released and there are a bunch of new inhumans, but that's probably just some gimmick to have mutant style characters in the movies.

The Builders arc was loving great though.
'
We haven't really seen thane or planet annihilus used since though and that's a bit of a let down.

Also, I kind of feel like maybe no one is supporting the Cabal so much as who could possibly really stop them? The second you 'stop' the Cabal we are all murdered by incursions or they blow up the Earth themselves and run away into space.

Thane's back next year in the Guardians of the Galaxy/X-Men: Black Vortex thing they announced at NYCC a few days ago. It was weird that he got introduced and then promptly pushed off-screen, Hickman usually doesn't introduce something unless it will be important down the line to what he's writing.

Thurm
Nov 11, 2008

Martinpale posted:

Thane's back next year in the Guardians of the Galaxy/X-Men: Black Vortex thing they announced at NYCC a few days ago. It was weird that he got introduced and then promptly pushed off-screen, Hickman usually doesn't introduce something unless it will be important down the line to what he's writing.

The thing about Infinity is that the only part about it that was in his original pitch was the Avengers fighting the Builders in space. In a Word Ballon podcast Hickman talked about how at a Marvel retreat there was an event pitched for Summer 2013 that all of the writers were apathetic to. Tom Brevoort suggested that Hickman be the one to write it and to pitch his version of the event. Hickman did and the rest of the people there were happy with it and so Hickman then had to fit an event comic into his plans. It's why New Avengers' pacing stalled after Infinity.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

So... do you think Magneto told Mystique he was recruiting her to come to an open battlefield and fights eighty foot tall adamantium death robots? Cause her ability to disguise herself really well is going to be extremely handy fighting the murder machines that just punked out the entire heroic community.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NorgLyle posted:

So... do you think Magneto told Mystique he was recruiting her to come to an open battlefield and fights eighty foot tall adamantium death robots? Cause her ability to disguise herself really well is going to be extremely handy fighting the murder machines that just punked out the entire heroic community.

She stands just as decent of a chance as Deadpool, whose only power is "a lot of conventional weaponry". I mean, sure he has healing, but offensively speaking, he doesn't have much going in the fight against giant Sentinels either.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

NorgLyle posted:

Mystique is a meta-morph of pretty high caliber, she'd be more useful against sentinels than Sabretooth that's for sure.
If she huffed some MGH she could do some Plastic Man stuff.

Dr.Magnificent
Dec 24, 2007

Comes with hands on care.
Fun Shoe

NorgLyle posted:

Mystique and Sabertooth have been an item for a while (since Aaron's Wolverine run at least), so she's there because Sabertooth is there.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Awesome Andy posted:

Mystique is a meta-morph of pretty high caliber, she'd be more useful against sentinels than Sabretooth that's for sure.
If she huffed some MGH she could do some Plastic Man stuff.
Yeah I wasn't going to bring up Sabertooth because surely Tony's sentinels will have no ability to fight against a kind of strong rugged guy with a healing factor and berserker rage. Nobody in their database could possibly use that kind of power...

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I find it incredibly :psyduck: that Tony's database doesn't have villains in it because ... uh ... villains aren't a threat, I guess? What the hell, past Tony. It just seems like a really silly and contrived excuse to get the villains together. Don't get me wrong, the villain team owns and is the only interesting part of this event so far, but ... what.

This book was at least a little better than the first, I guess. It's relying a little heavily on tie-ins - I read Loki before I read this issue and was cool with Magneto loving off for half the issue, but another friend of mine is only reading the main event and was confused as gently caress about him just loving off and thought the pacing of that seemed weird.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Dr.Magnificent posted:

Mystique and Sabertooth have been an item for a while (since Aaron's Wolverine run at least), so she's there because Sabertooth is there.

Plus she's probably at least a little miffed about a Nazi stealing her dead exhusband's brain.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I find it incredibly :psyduck: that Tony's database doesn't have villains in it because ... uh ... villains aren't a threat, I guess? What the hell, past Tony. It just seems like a really silly and contrived excuse to get the villains together. Don't get me wrong, the villain team owns and is the only interesting part of this event so far, but ... what.

This book was at least a little better than the first, I guess. It's relying a little heavily on tie-ins - I read Loki before I read this issue and was cool with Magneto loving off for half the issue, but another friend of mine is only reading the main event and was confused as gently caress about him just loving off and thought the pacing of that seemed weird.

He has a different villain database.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

He has a different villain database.

Oooh, okay. Sure. I'll accept that, I guess.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think the database is ordered by the 1940s clone (I think?) Red Skull who was controlling Stark's mind, who I can totally see being myopic enough to not imagine dudes like Magneto and Doom would show up to knock his block off.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
it's still dumb that Ironman did't count Magneto as a good guy considering he's been an on-and-off X-Man for decades. Also: Polaris.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Being on the team doesn't mean Tony accepts that he's a good guy.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Tony kept changing Magneto's location on the database every time he changed sides for a while, but a few years ago he just made it so the program would do it automatically every other Tuesday. If Red Skull had waited another week his plans would've gone smoothly.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I'm unclear on the sentinels, was it the Red Skull subtly controlling Tony to make them in his spare time? That's what it read as.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

wiegieman posted:

I'm unclear on the sentinels, was it the Red Skull subtly controlling Tony to make them in his spare time? That's what it read as.

As I understand it, it was that Tony had considered in his idle moments how he would make a Sentinel if he ever had to do so, but had never written it down. The Red Skull used telepathy to pull the idea out of his head and put it into practice, so you get near-indestructible Stark-powered Sentinels that use Pym particles to capture and imprison opponents.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wow this somehow managed to be even more boring than the first issue.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wanderer posted:

As I understand it, it was that Tony had considered in his idle moments how he would make a Sentinel if he ever had to do so, but had never written it down. The Red Skull used telepathy to pull the idea out of his head and put it into practice, so you get near-indestructible Stark-powered Sentinels that use Pym particles to capture and imprison opponents.

Specifically, he thought up sentinels capable of defeating all the heroes just in case he ever needed them.

It's Tower of Babel.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Specifically, he thought up sentinels capable of defeating all the heroes just in case he ever needed them.

It's Tower of Babel.
Which is different than the JLA story with the guy who used his internet helmet to download a way to defeat the entire Justice League except for Catwoman who is a villain so she was able to whip him directly in the nuts and turn the tide. I take back my former question; I know exactly what Mystique is going to do in this fight now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

Which is different than the JLA story with the guy who used his internet helmet to download a way to defeat the entire Justice League except for Catwoman who is a villain so she was able to whip him directly in the nuts and turn the tide. I take back my former question; I know exactly what Mystique is going to do in this fight now.

Carnage is there as a backup.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey what's with Mystique's skull belt. Are they real skulls or does she just like trashy belts? Do the skulls do anything?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

SynthOrange posted:

Hey what's with Mystique's skull belt. Are they real skulls or does she just like trashy belts? Do the skulls do anything?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

SynthOrange posted:

I was just reading an early-80s Claremont X-Men where she used the skulls for something, but I can't remember what... A smoke bomb or something?

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life
Yup smoke bombs, she uses them plus a garrote to take out a cyborg Wolverine while hanging out with Arcade.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Scarlet Witch has never learned that there is no such thing as Free Shrimp. So looks like Doom caused for the inversion to occur. You can begin to see it happen with some characters. However, I am not looking forward to Wasp being a huge part of this. At least we know something happens to her and Havok during this thing. Its not good but not the train wreck I was fearing. So far it seems its just an average event comic.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
So is everyone supposed to be acting wildly out of character even when the Red Skulls hate beams are explicitly stated to be blocked.

Remender is doing a very good job of making me hate Havok, but somehow I don't think that was the point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
You didn't already hate Havok, the Worst Summers Brother?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Soonmot posted:

You didn't already hate Havok, the Worst Summers Brother?

Gabriel Summers is and will always have that title.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

bobkatt013 posted:

Gabriel Summers is and will always have that title.

The day when you realize the best Summers brother is Scott is a dark day.

bobkatt013 posted:

However, I am not looking forward to Wasp being a huge part of this. At least we know something happens to her and Havok during this thing.

Her inversion is the Abusee/abuser thing, so she starts slapping Havok and Hank Pym around when they gets uppity. (just saying: I haven't read much wasp/ant-man stuff, I don't know how they work now, and isn't Pym dead?)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Scott's always been the best. It's not a dark day, it's the day when your eyes are finally opened to how great of a character he is!

Havok is totally going to die in this event, I bet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I wonder if there's an editorial mandate to make Doom the absolute best in any book he's in :swoon:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Scott's always been the best. It's not a dark day, it's the day when your eyes are finally opened to how great of a character he is!

Havok is totally going to die in this event, I bet.

I could see them tossing Havok and Janet aside Multiple Man/Layla style, since neither are on the new team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Axis Deadpool greeting Axis Carnage is my comic moment of the week.

• Locked thread