Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Wreckfest is a racing game for the PC, made by Bugbear, the developers of the FlatOut series of games (the good ones, anyway).
Up until September, its work in progress name was Next Car Game.
It features racing, crashing, upgrading cars, crashing, great graphics, crashing and even more crashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XORYQ52migc

The game is currently in Early Access, and is available on Steam. It's current, and upcoming features are as follows.

Avalable Now!

• NEW: Online multiplayer!
  • LAN multiplayer support.
  • Five cars: American Muscle I & II, European Hatchback, American Sedan and European Coupe, with unique handling traits.
  • A number of different performance and handling upgrades, replicating selected real-world parts.
  • A number of race tracks including Tarmac, Sandpit, Figure 8 and Speedway, featuring both normal and reverse layouts.
  • Three different derby stadiums: a large stadium, small stadium and a mud pit.
  • Various race and derby game modes including Team Deathmatch with up to (!) 24 cars, all with dynamic damage.
  • Soft-body car damage physics system that doesn't need a super computer - even online!
  • Highly configurable support for force-feedback wheels, pedals and H-shifters.
  • Dynamic content that reacts realistically – fences and billboards break down, tires fly around.
  • In-game Photo Mode and Replay with a number of cameras, configurable field-of-view and depth-of-field.
  • BONUS: A playable Technology Sneak Peek 2.0 - Have fun in the physics playground!

Upcoming!

• Improved car damage and handling.
  • More cars, each with different stylings and performance.
  • More race tracks and derby stadiums with varying surfaces.
  • More dynamic content on the tracks to drive through and crash into.
  • Highly configurable multiplayer with a variety of modes.
  • Extensive player garage and car upgrading system.
  • In-game classifieds to buy and sell cars and parts.
  • Streamlined and polished user interface.
  • Improved graphics quality and performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACDZ1VoICbA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJIuRgtaeR0

Goon Steam Group
Find goons to drive with!
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wreckfestgoons/

I also host most nights, but I'm in Australia, so unless you're an AU/NZ goon, you may have issues.

If you'd like anything added to the OP. Let me know. Otherwise, go buy this drat fine game and come crash with me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laruzia
Sep 29, 2014
I am so very happy to see this game finally get its name! And I actually quite like the name Wreckfest! So very happy to see that they are still working on this game, even if evil-lips have been spreading rumors of this game having died off and developers having ran away with monies! Haven't tried out the online play yet, so that will be interesting! Bugbear's games have always been blast online! Aaaah~ The memories of Flatout 2 MP~

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Laruzia posted:

I am so very happy to see this game finally get its name! And I actually quite like the name Wreckfest! So very happy to see that they are still working on this game, even if evil-lips have been spreading rumors of this game having died off and developers having ran away with monies! Haven't tried out the online play yet, so that will be interesting! Bugbear's games have always been blast online! Aaaah~ The memories of Flatout 2 MP~

I am happy with the name, but I kinda got attached to 'Next Car Game'. But Wreckfest works for me too!

Sucks to hear people spreading rumours. While they are slow with updates, when they do, its always a big update. Mind you they've been dropping updates since the MP patch almost daily, which is great.

I've been playing quite a bit of MP, and I love it. It's loads of fun, and surprisingly lag isn't as bad as I expected. And apparently they have more optimizations to come. Looking forward to it!

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
So many hours spent playing Flatout with my friends, just wrecking everything. Probably called those night a wreckfest while we were doing it at some point. Glad they came up with a name finally. Doubly so that they picked such an excellently descriptive one.

Keep hoping they add Rift support at some point, but not certain how badly I want to re-enact Ricky Bobbys accident in Talladega Nights. The .gif in the OP tells me that it might be a bit crazy.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
For those who didn't know, Bugbear had 180,000 € unpaid taxes and was going bankrupt in February. Steam's Early Access saved the company and the game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Kennel posted:

For those who didn't know, Bugbear had 180,000 € unpaid taxes and was going bankrupt in February. Steam's Early Access saved the company and the game.

Oh wow. Didn't realise Ridge Racer Unbounded bombed that badly. Hopefully sales will keep them above water.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Kennel posted:

Oh!? I had no idea about this. I really hope this game has pulled them out, because it's a blast. They've got loads of coverage from it though, so I'm thinking it has.

Apparently they are adding Rift and Track IR support. I'm so excited, because I want a Rift, but I have a TrackIR and it would be so helpful to be able to look left and right while racing.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm so very glad the devs are adamant on keeping the wreckin racin / demolotion racer theme. I disliked the Flatout games high-tier racing cars. Why would people drive exotic sports cars in a derby setting? Although I believe that was to please publishers/the public.

Happy to see muscle cars and shitboxes being front a center. One car I would love to see as a homage to Destruction Derby 2 is the stock car. Not quite a Nascar, but a gritter version like in DD2

Laruzia
Sep 29, 2014

Kennel posted:

Woah...I did hear from my friends who are friends with some of the staff that they were in trouble, but never realized they were so deep in their money trouble! Thank goodness for Steam's Early Access, so we can hopefully get this game out and they can keep on making awesome destruction derby/folkrace racing games!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Did they fix the handling being boring yet? That's really my one complaint from playing the tech demo.

edit: What about wacky-rear end obstacles? Is it all just dirt roads and fences? Will any of the wacky toys from the physics test area (car cannon, shredders) make it into the game?

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 8, 2014

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Laruzia posted:

Woah...I did hear from my friends who are friends with some of the staff that they were in trouble, but never realized they were so deep in their money trouble! Thank goodness for Steam's Early Access, so we can hopefully get this game out and they can keep on making awesome destruction derby/folkrace racing games!

Here's an article: http://www.hs.fi/talous/a1398839621609

And looks like Google translator can handle Finnish relatively well nowadays so everyone can read it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

simosimo posted:

I disliked the Flatout games high-tier racing cars. Why would people drive exotic sports cars in a derby setting? Although I believe that was to please publishers/the public.
Yeah, I didn't like Flatout 2 very much because it just seemed like the publishers had gone ":byodood: JUST loving MAKE BURNOUT" and the game just didn't feel like the original Flatout. One of the things I loved about the original game was the whole demolition derby/folkrace aesthetic where even the best cars in the game were these lovely old Volvos or muscle cars. They also changed the handling to feel more like Burnout in Flatout 2, which was a massive disappointment because I liked the original handling.

Laruzia
Sep 29, 2014

OH NO MAN posted:

Yeah, I didn't like Flatout 2 very much because it just seemed like the publishers had gone ":byodood: JUST loving MAKE BURNOUT" and the game just didn't feel like the original Flatout. One of the things I loved about the original game was the whole demolition derby/folkrace aesthetic where even the best cars in the game were these lovely old Volvos or muscle cars. They also changed the handling to feel more like Burnout in Flatout 2, which was a massive disappointment because I liked the original handling.

My friends thought I was mad when playing Flatout 2 when I only wanted to use the first two tiers. Of course, I did not always win, but I am not going to race around with some speedster in a forest! Already got plenty of experience doing that in real life with friend and lemme tell you...Don't do it!

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'll be getting this, Flatout Ultimate Carnage is still a gaming night staple. Curling is a stroke of genius.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

I'll be getting this, Flatout Ultimate Carnage is still a gaming night staple. Curling is a stroke of genius.
Yeah, I kept trying to get into the single player but I never once encountered a curling match or even any of the crazier modes. Where are they?

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
They're under 'party mode' or something IIRC.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwnEolQSMqg

I'm having a blast in MP, still. Even with a full grid of 300+ ping players, its mostly smooth, and some crazy poo poo happens on the first few corners. I love it.

You get a few wreakers going backwards around the track, that kinda sucks, but for the most part, people are good and you can bounce off each other and nobody gets mad. Its great fun.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kennel posted:

Badass. After I read a few chapters from the Bible I'm gonna hop on this game some more.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
I have a g-27 wheel/stick/pedals. I have not used them with Wreckfest yet. Most of the time I just play with the keyboard or a gamepad. I got to get that set up to use. Shifting looks like it might be a bit of a bitch though... would need to bolt the pedals down so they don't slide all over the floor as I'm stomping on the clutch and gas. I would love having Rift support, but just getting TrackIR would be good enough for me!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

They're under 'party mode' or something IIRC.
You're a cool, cool dude.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

I tried my G27, and it was good fun, I still think I'd rather the controller though, only because I have to setup my g27 ever time I want to use it and it's a pain. But it felt good to drive with, which kinda surprised me.

And I hope hope we see flying ragdoll drivers at some point. I kinda miss that from flatout. Also minigames.

Laruzia
Sep 29, 2014

tehsid posted:

And I hope hope we see flying ragdoll drivers at some point. I kinda miss that from flatout. Also minigames.

Oh yes. We definitely need more of those wonderful mini-games! They will be glorious with their new physics engine and all the next-gen tech they have available! And of course, ragdolls are always a blast! :3:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I had a good sit down with this latest update this morning and finally I think they're onto a good thing. I felt that the driving was just crappy, hard to explain, like it constantly feels like your driving in a mud pit (Yes I know some tracks are in the mud :) )

But what I have done is turned every sensitivity upto 100% (I use a 360 controller), turn traction control off and the best thing IMO is turning the 'auto return camera' to the maximum so the chase camera stays LOCKED on the rear.

The default camera lags behind you when you turn / get spun. This setting locks you in and makes it more bearable with the floaty (and in some cases barrel rolling) nature of your car. Now it plays rather nicely. Still a bit tank like when you taking a corner at speed but I guess that's because we're driving big rear end cars.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

simosimo posted:

I had a good sit down with this latest update this morning and finally I think they're onto a good thing. I felt that the driving was just crappy, hard to explain, like it constantly feels like your driving in a mud pit (Yes I know some tracks are in the mud :) )

But what I have done is turned every sensitivity upto 100% (I use a 360 controller), turn traction control off and the best thing IMO is turning the 'auto return camera' to the maximum so the chase camera stays LOCKED on the rear.

The default camera lags behind you when you turn / get spun. This setting locks you in and makes it more bearable with the floaty (and in some cases barrel rolling) nature of your car. Now it plays rather nicely. Still a bit tank like when you taking a corner at speed but I guess that's because we're driving big rear end cars.

I outright can't drive in chase cam. But I cockpit view I can do reasonably well, even without the track awareness. But I put it all down to being able to see the wheel position. Otherwise I'm flying around the track fish tailing all over the place.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

tehsid posted:

I outright can't drive in chase cam. But I cockpit view I can do reasonably well, even without the track awareness. But I put it all down to being able to see the wheel position. Otherwise I'm flying around the track fish tailing all over the place.

Yeah? My self argument is that this isn't a sim game and it'd be kinda dumb to not see your car damage. But I'll give it a try , I know in gran turismo when I switched to bumper cam back in the day my drive improved immensely.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I leave it on third person for the inevitable pile up at the start, then switch to bonnent cam for the rest of the race, since the damage usually renders the cockpit unuseable.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Picked this up after seeing the online multiplayer has been put in and I'm going to have to fiddle with the camera settings too because the default camera 'lag' makes me spin out wayyy too much.

Is there a way to tell what track(s) or track types are being played on the servers you are trying to connect to? Also is it normal to just sit there after hitting 'ready' in the server lobby for 5 minutes+ never joining the race?

Needs something to do or see while you're waiting to join a race, to confirm that you're waiting and keep you from getting bored.

24-car single player derby races are nuts, but my 3 year old computer seems to be handling it fine I'm getting steady high framerates and the collisions, while a bit over the top as far as the damage caused to the vehicles, are fun to watch.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
There's a camera setting in the option (about 2-3 sliders) turn it to the max and it will stop the awful chase cam lag.

My enjoyment has gone up immensely since using the hood cam. In actual fact the physics are fun to drive with, the 360 triggers allow for that feather touch you need in the corners.

Especially in online races you can dominate as most people just assume it's arcadey hold down the gas racing.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I've been playing this pretty much non-stop since I heard the multiplayer was implemented. It feels so good to finally have a proper "next-gen" demolition derby game. I really like how all the cars and tracks so far are proper gritty banger racing types, none of the high end sports cars found in Flatout. Although admittedly I do hope they add a comedy option or two such as a school bus. Really looking forward to proper lobbies with the ability to change car/track without having to leave the party.

If you're thinking about playing this with a wheel then stop thinking about it and do it. The force feedback is superb, I can feel everything through my Fanatec CSR (set to 270 degrees rotation). Drifting around the outside of mud pit you can feel the steering go loose as the front wheels bounce off the ground momentarily. Coupled up with a H-shifter it's in an incredible amount of fun. All I need now is an oculus rift or some other type of head tracking and full immersion acquired, you'll find me on the couch in my flame retardant racing overalls and helmet.

Have a video of my very first online derby

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I've also got great things to say about Multiplayer, asside from 80% of the time the connection dropping out when joining a game (connection to server lost or something); the player latency is great. I was expecting horrid skipping like in most racing games online but the response from other players is like singleplayer.

For a first pass at MP it's a good attempt. When map rotations are implemented I can see some nice casual gaming hours ahead. Finally a good racing game with nice physics without that need/desire to succeed. If you crash and lose places, you can then turn heel and bash into the fellow backmarkers :D

edit: American Muscle 2 seems to be the winning car. I'm rocking the Euro coupe, it handles nice but its slow in tight corners. I love feeling the difference in traction when you go from dirt road to tarmac.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
On the oval, the European (tiny, rear-engined car) with the biggest engine upgrade is really fast. It's the only combination I've seen ranked as Class A.

However, it weighs nothing compared to the muscle cars so you need to be really good at avoiding wrecks.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

David Pratt posted:

On the oval, the European (tiny, rear-engined car) with the biggest engine upgrade is really fast. It's the only combination I've seen ranked as Class A.

However, it weighs nothing compared to the muscle cars so you need to be really good at avoiding wrecks.

My next play i'm gonna roll with the clown car, I see NO ONE using it online (maybe they discount it because it's small). A lot of time is wasted on laps slowing down the big lumbering cars and then speeding up - i imagine the little car corners really well.

I don't think there's been an online racing game where all of the cars are RWD, it really weeds out the the good drivers and it's sweet.

Here's hoping the game continues on this upward trend and we get workshop support and custom community maps. The formula is already awesome, now we just need the tracks to keep things fresh.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

simosimo posted:

My next play i'm gonna roll with the clown car, I see NO ONE using it online (maybe they discount it because it's small). A lot of time is wasted on laps slowing down the big lumbering cars and then speeding up - i imagine the little car corners really well.

I don't think there's been an online racing game where all of the cars are RWD, it really weeds out the the good drivers and it's sweet.

Here's hoping the game continues on this upward trend and we get workshop support and custom community maps. The formula is already awesome, now we just need the tracks to keep things fresh.

Admittedly I haven't given the European Hatch much drive time myself. I assumed its smaller frame wouldn't be much use online (also the European Coupe looks like a Capri). I'll have to give it a try.

On the topic of RWD I've found myself pleasantly surprised by the handling physics in this game. At first you'd imagine it would be a simple, linear, almost GTA 3 level handling model but it feels great and different with each car. They all have weight and respond well to throttle (especially with all the assists switched off). With a bit of practice you can really kick the back end out and slide the cars around. I find it really enjoyable with a steering wheel whereas with Flatout it didn't feel right at all. tl;dr The physics are pretty drat good already.

e: Also, I recreated the flatmobile

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think Next Car Game is better than 'Wreckfest'. In fact I think most any name would be better than Wreckfest. It sounds like a made up game for a movie or something.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I think Next Car Game is better than 'Wreckfest'. In fact I think most any name would be better than Wreckfest. It sounds like a made up game for a movie or something.

I dunno, I kinda like it. I still rather Next Car Game for some reason, I think it was a kinda nice poke at racing games as they are now, but I have no issue with Wreckfest as it'll be a bit easier to sell to people. Either way, game is great. And I'm still having a blast in MP.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I dunno what it is but this game is just legit fun online for once. I find it funny this game has better physics than most sim racers (at least using a 360 pad)

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

quote:

Update #6 Hot Fix #6 - 24/10/2014
Fixed camera getting stuck to the side bug.
Support some more exotic characters in player names.
Added KM/H / MPH speed display toggle to Display Settings.
Added show / hide player names toggle to Display Settings.
Show per-class best lap time in event selection.
Fixed multiplayer bug: remaining time not updating in results window when spectating.
Fixed multiplayer bug: if the race started when player was in the game or settings menu, the mouse got hidden, thus making it hard to close the menu windows.
Reworked lobby chat, includes scrollbar
Improvements to joining handling
Improved client-side prediction

Good news, I often get the 'lost connection' error when joining 50% of servers so hopefully this fix eliminates this!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I just bought this game during yesterday's sale. Holy poo poo this game is so much fun. I'm having a blast in massive single player matches, I can't wait to start messing around online.

http://youtu.be/xyQPTklsYjs I sure wish Youtube would stop making my videos so grainy though. :(

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Mp is ever more fun. Those people who you spin out will have real feelings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
My favourite bit is when people get indignant about the fact that you deliberately crashed into them. In a game called Wreckfest.

• Locked thread