Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.

quakster posted:

nintendo is poo poo
You're poo poo.

What if they made a new metroid game with 3d graphics, but 2d sidescrolling gameplay?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

quakster posted:

nintendo is poo poo

Begone.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

SnotGrumble posted:

You're poo poo.

What if they made a new metroid game with 3d graphics, but 2d sidescrolling gameplay?

They did it's called shadow complex

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

quakster posted:

nintendo is poo poo

Drink my pee you big bitch

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.

PantsBandit posted:

They did it's called shadow complex

I don't have an xbox.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

01011001 posted:

dont post here

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bobnumerotres posted:

theyve already said theyre working on two metroid titles. a 2d one for the 3ds

this is hosed up as heck, imo.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

elf help book posted:

playing super metroid makes me sad because it was made with love and it shows and it feels to me like a set of ideas future games should have built upon instead of struggling to meet

not just metroid games

yeah. you can tell other devs realize this because they always cite super metroid as inspiration but they never successfully realize this ideal.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
nintendo is cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

this is hosed up as heck, imo.

as a nintendo fan you need to accept that the only way to play every cool game is to own both their machines. it's hosed up but this is the life of a true gamer

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mabels big day posted:

We're going to be rebooting your shithole.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

elf help book posted:

playing super metroid makes me sad because it was made with love and it shows and it feels to me like a set of ideas future games should have built upon instead of struggling to meet

not just metroid games

yea

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

quakster posted:

nintendo is poo poo

*grabs chainsaw dildo* time to gently caress this guy to death

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

mabels big day posted:

We're going to be rebooting your shithole.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Samus is part Metroid now, so there will be Metroids as long as Samus is in a Metroid game

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Lemming posted:

Samus is part Metroid now, so there will be Metroids as long as Samus is in a Metroid game

Fusions 2 ends with samus in a crate being wheeled into a giant warehouse

"the last Metroid is in captivity"

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Bobnumerotres posted:

theyve already said theyre working on two metroid titles. a 2d one for the 3ds and a 3d one for the wiiu. we will probably get details at next year's e3.

This sounds too good. I don't believe you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

This sounds too good. I don't believe you.

Shinya Takahashi, Nintendo: So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.

Edit:

Miyamoto: I have the New Super Mario Bros. series [for 2D], so I like Prime. I think there's still a lot of new things that could be done with the Prime series.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i really like super metroid and do think its good, but it really does feel like a start to me, something that had room to grow, but all people learned from it was running around a big map to collect keys that may also be weapons

i dont know it bums me out

"metroidvania" bothers me, sotn is very good as well but they are so different from each other

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
it really bothers me when metroidvanias try to copy super metroids style without copying its map. SM basically loving perfected the map system for 2d open world games, just loving copy what they did wholesale jfc.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

super metroid with zero mission's controls would be perfect imo

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

elf help book posted:

all people learned from it was running around a big map to collect keys that may also be weapons

it would help if devs could actually even do just this part correctly -_-

nintendo itself hasnt even really built off of it any. it may just be an incredibly difficult style of game to do well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

AE-35 Unit posted:

super metroid with zero mission's controls would be perfect imo

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
yea. everyone seems to think super metroid is all about opening doors with items you get later on but thats really missing the point. its more about all the cool things it does with its level design. it gets to the point where people call something like arkham asylum a metroidvania game which is really dumb. i havent played super metroid in some time but iirc a lot of the locks in that game you could actually open early with platforming skills or finding a hidden set of bombs or something. i feel like something like dark souls is much more true to super metroid than most metroidvanias eventhough it completely lacks the unlocking items=opening new pathways thing

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

People say Dark Souls is true to Super Metroid but I don't agree at all and think they are probably insane. Farewell.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Mr. Kerstbal posted:

yea. everyone seems to think super metroid is all about opening doors with items you get later on but thats really missing the point. its more about all the cool things it does with its level design. it gets to the point where people call something like arkham asylum a metroidvania game which is really dumb. i havent played super metroid in some time but iirc a lot of the locks in that game you could actually open early with platforming skills or finding a hidden set of bombs or something. i feel like something like dark souls is much more true to super metroid than most metroidvanias eventhough it completely lacks the unlocking items=opening new pathways thing

if metroidvania just means you gotta backtrack to get some loot then give up making metroidvanias

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER

Silver Striker posted:

People say Dark Souls is true to Super Metroid but I don't agree at all and think they are probably insane. Farewell.

sorry

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

net cafe scandal posted:

I hope so, if only to step into that Varia Suit one more time.

In my day, you had to earn your Varia suit.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
im not saying dark souls is a super metroid-like game but i just feel like it picks up on some cool level design thigns it did, more so than a lot of metroidvania style games. imo

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Metroid Prime is better than Super Metroid.

Texas is better at making Metroid games than Japan.

Mr. Kerstbal
Sep 2, 2011

ORIGINAL MONKEY FUCKER
no

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the backtracking is pretty fun though

for all its flaws MP3 has some neat poo poo when you go back and re-explore areas with all your suit powers.

other "metroidvanias" gently caress this up by just putting a door you cant open near the beginning of the game, then you go back and its just a small room with an upgrade/trophy/whatever the hell in there and thats it thanks for remembering that door!!! gently caress off reward me for exploring you poo poo

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Mr. Kerstbal posted:

im not saying dark souls is a super metroid-like game but i just feel like it picks up on some cool level design thigns it did, more so than a lot of metroidvania style games. imo

I can sort of understand what you are saying, I guess. I have just seen more than a few people say "Dark Souls is a metroidvania" and I ask them to explain and they say "Well. If you ignore the fact that it has no similarities with Metroid aside from the fact that sometimes you unlock shortcuts, it's essentially the same thing". By this time I have usually severed their heads.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hm, very yes

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

yea i think the environment teaching you is an important part of super metroid (and something it doesnt always get right, blowing up the glass tube hallway is hinted at poorly imo)

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

environmental cues and exploration are seriously under utilized in games. and i mean actual exploration not doing every minigame marker on the map in assassin's creed or whatever.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Lemming posted:

Metroid Prime is better than Super Metroid.

Texas is better at making Metroid games than Japan.

Metroid Prime is really really good and awesome and nearly perfect but Super Metroid is the greatest video game to ever be created ever so you are wrong here i am sorry for this bad news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kewpuh posted:

Metroid Prime is really really good and awesome and nearly perfect but Super Metroid is the greatest video game to ever be created ever so you are wrong here i am sorry for this bad news

The only people who think this played Super Metroid when they were children and are old and broken. Sorry your brain is incapable of objective analysis.

• Locked thread