Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lemming posted:

The only people who think this played Super Metroid when they were children and are old and broken. Sorry your brain is incapable of objective analysis.

The gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Lemming posted:

The only people who think this played Super Metroid when they were children and are old and broken. Sorry your brain is incapable of objective analysis.

I played Super Metroid as an adult after playing Metroid Prime as a teenager. Aside from some control quirks (fire being X is unusual) I think Super Metroid is the better game out of two greats.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

First someone comes into Imp Zone today and says Nintendo is poo poo and then this

This isn't the America I grew up in thanks Obama

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

the glass tube was done fine, if you tried other weapons before you got the power bombs you failed and just tucked that into the back of your mind for later

first thing I tried after I got the power bombs was to shatter that glass and was rewarded, it was a very satisfying moment in the game

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
This must be what it was like to be a Cro-Magnon among the Neanderthals, and why they all got hosed/murdered to extinction due to their inferiority

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lemming posted:

This must be what it was like to be a Cro-Magnon among the Neanderthals, and why they all got hosed/murdered to extinction due to their inferiority

:eyepop:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I see that you are in awe of me, which is proper

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lemming posted:

I see that you are in awe of me, which is proper

I'm in awe, of how wrong you are

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Widestancer posted:

I'm in awe, of how wrong you are

The GameCube was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached Metroid games. The Super Nintendo gives us Super Metroid - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The GameCube gives us Metroid Prime. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
super metroid is seriously so loving open that you can beat the bosses (not including mother brain) in the reverse of the intended order. that's loving crazy. another thing metroid games do extremely well that other metroidvanias tend to lack in is making each major area feel unique. maridia is way different from norfair, which is way different from brinstar, etc.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lemming posted:

The GameCube was when games made the true transition from an attempted emulation of the console experience to a more fully realised idea of console games as an experience meant not just to amuse, but to really sink ones teeth into. Lets compare the way the two consoles approached Metroid games. The Super Nintendo gives us Super Metroid - colourful, simple, cartoony. Gaming equivalent of candy. The GameCube gives us Metroid Prime. Artistic, hauntingly beautiful, impactful in the way no game before it could have been. Gamings ambrosia.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lemming posted:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Metroid Prime and Super Metroid are both insanely good. i personally like Super Metroid more

as for rebooting Metroid, either do that or make a Metroid 5 where Samus is on the lam from the Galactic Federation. the well is pretty dry storyline-wise

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I was going to make an impassioned argument for Metroid Prime, and then I remembered all the backtracking.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Lemming posted:

dude no

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
which good game is gooder than the other good game this is an interesting discussion and im not a stupid idiot

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Metroid is good

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

Metroid is good

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i mean it's a series full of fun and super cool games, dunno why everyone needs to make a pissing contest out of which games are the goodest

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Beef Waifu posted:

i mean it's a series full of fun and super cool games, dunno why everyone needs to make a pissing contest out of which games are the goodest

What about Other M

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i think other m conversations at this point are more circular and obnoxious than the "2d or 3d metroid better"

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

in metroid prime if you stand up close to a wall and fire a fully charged blast shot into it you get to see the reflection of Samus Aran's face in your visor. this makes it the better than super metroid h2h

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
like other m is a bad game that should be remembered so it never happens again, but no one can actually discuss it maturely in a way that is not talking about how it pooped on the franchise because it made gamers realize they have wanted to gently caress samus the whole time

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

like other m is a bad game that should be remembered so it never happens again, but no one can actually discuss it maturely in a way that is not talking about how it pooped on the franchise because it made gamers realize they have wanted to gently caress samus the whole time
They're all a bunch of goddamn babies.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I was really surprised that there was such a controversy over Other M because when I tried to play it I was bored out of my mind by the first save point and quit. I don't see how anyone could make it further than that, or why they would want to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i havent really liked any metroid games

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can we talk about the ds castlevania games instead

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
let's not do that thing that endorph wants us to do

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Who's cooler, Samus Aran or Sypha Belnads

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Endorph posted:

can we talk about the ds castlevania games instead
Hint: you like Metroid games.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Endorph posted:

i havent really liked any metroid games

out

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Metroid Prime was a remake of Super Metroid so all they have to do is remake Super Metroid again to save the series.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Widestancer posted:

What about Other M
not even Nintendo likes Other M. i think they recently called it a "reimagining" of Metroid

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Widestancer posted:

Please respect Samus' booty.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fusion was the best game of the series

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Beef Waifu posted:

pretty sure we've all wanted to gently caress samus since the NES days and didn't need other M to realize it. at least i did.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Nanomashoes posted:

pretty sure we've all wanted to gently caress samus since the NES days and didn't need other M to realize it. at least i did.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
you'd be surprised how many goons lied to themselves for years about wanting to gently caress samus

goons are very tsundere for her

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
actually other m samus is probably the least fuckable samus because she'd just lie there and cry a lot

which isn't a bad thing really but its not what I want from samus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Lemming posted:

• Locked thread