Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you unscrew it and turn it over there should be a little scroll inside too with I think blessings written on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm from New Jersey so I always assumed there were strong Jewish influences everywhere when I was younger.

Yea I'm Jewish and grew up in Maryland, so it took me quite a while to realize that there were other areas of the country where there wasn't two synagogues in every town and the graduating high school class wasn't like a third Jewish. I'm very lucky as a Jew that I grew up in a place and time where I didn't even feel like a minority. For all intents and purposes I wasn't. I certainly never experienced any overt anti-Semitism, and I still haven't really at age 30.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

In inexact and possibly offensive terms:

If you as a Jew put one of those on a door you get a mitzvah for everyone that comes through the door.* Mitzvahs are things that you cash in when you meet god so that you can get an upgrade to four star afterlife instead of entry level afterlife. You can get mitzvahs lots of ways -- marrying another Jew is one. Getting a gentile to wear a yarmulke is another. Some actual substantive good deeds (saving a life) count too. I don't know if they all count the same or not, probably there are disagreements about that, maybe everyone agrees that there are greater and lesser ways to rack up bonus points.

*Sects vary on how much they think these things are worthwhile. In a building owned by certain sorts of Jews literally every doorframe will have one.

Nah, not really. Not at all actually. A Mitzvah is really just a good deed that you do, and Judaism emphasizes doing as many as you can on general principle. Its possible extremely religious Hasidim view doing a Mitzvah in the way that you describe, but 99 out of 100 Jews you will meet on the street don't think about it that way at all.

Also "getting a gentile to wear a yarmulke" isn't a mitzvah at all as far as I know, and Judaism does not involve any sort of active recruitment whatsoever. I've never heard of any sort of tactic where you try to get gentiles to wear yarmulkes, I'm pretty certain that's just nonsense.

Doing good deeds in Judaism isn't based on meeting god after you die and getting some sort of special treatment, its about doing good for others because that's the best way to live your life. I'm sure there are some passages in the Old Testament you can find about god judging a person for how many mitzvoth they did, but that's another thing about (the vast majority of)Judaism. Its been interpreted and re-interpreted over the centuries by various respected rabbis, so for the most part the Torah isn't treated as a literal text. That leads to less bullshit like what you described.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 10, 2014

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sheep-Goats posted:

I technically know all of that but that post is for goyim.

I don't think the yarmulke thing is recruitment. Is the same system as the scroll by the door. The same folks who were told it's a mitzvah for you whenever anyone (Jewish or not) walk through the door think it's a mitzvah for you whenever you can get someone to be humble before god by wearing a little hat (Jewish or not). There are areas in Brooklyn where if you jokingly say you'll try on a yarmulke there's a stampede of people coming to offer you theirs -- not Hasidim, but certainly religiously serious people.

Well I've never heard of that or experienced it, but I have had very little interaction with Hasidic Jews. Are you certain they weren't Hasidim?

I live very near an almost entirely Jewish area outside Baltimore called Pikesville, and I spent my entire childhood in Jewish day school, so I think I'd have heard about it before now.

But yea, fanatically religious Jews are just as weird and out-there as any other religion. I'm really not a fan of any organized religion, Judaism included.

• Locked thread