Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mach2
Feb 28, 2014

Agag posted:

SNES shmups get a lot of hate from the hardcore shmup community, but I think they're alright. U.N. Squadron is good. Axelay, BioMetal, and Kidou Soukou Dion are all worth playing.

I have Axelay, haven't played it. I'll add it to my to-do list. The others I'll see about acquiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

the snes ver of Phalanx is good, it's the one with the box art

the snes parodius games are really good, especially the third one Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius. there are ports of them on a lot of different systems though and idk which versions are the best. i like the stick figure guys who ride around on a paper airplane and use a condom for a shield

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

straight jerkers posted:

the snes ver of Phalanx is good, it's the one with the box art

Yeah I like both versions of phalanx, it gets a weird rap for it's cover art but Zoom knew their poo poo it's a really dope game. I also think people who think the SNES isn't a great shmup system have been brainwashed by sega propaganda or something because there's a quality vs quantity thing going on and stuff like Space Megaforce, R-Type III, Phalanx, Axelay, etc is all top class.

There's a game called Imperium on SNES which nobody ever mentions that has a really fun weapons system, but find the Japanese version because the US version had downgraded graphics to save on ROM costs or something

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
forgot which system had it but Aleste is a fantastic shmup with really fun weapons (10 of them!!!)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Compile shooters are the best shooters

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Sizone posted:

Compile shooters are the best shooters

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

forgot which system had it but Aleste is a fantastic shmup with really fun weapons (10 of them!!!)

There's like 10 Aleste games across 5 systems but they're all pretty good (MSX2,SMS) to excellent (SNES,Genesis,SCD)

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

d0s posted:

Yeah I like both versions of phalanx, it gets a weird rap for it's cover art but Zoom knew their poo poo it's a really dope game. I also think people who think the SNES isn't a great shmup system have been brainwashed by sega propaganda or something because there's a quality vs quantity thing going on and stuff like Space Megaforce, R-Type III, Phalanx, Axelay, etc is all top class.

There's a game called Imperium on SNES which nobody ever mentions that has a really fun weapons system, but find the Japanese version because the US version had downgraded graphics to save on ROM costs or something

Imperium is the US port of Kidou Soukou Dion. Same game with inferior BG graphics so they could release it as a 4meg cart rather than 8meg. If you can, or if you are using emulation, go for the original version.

One of the Japanese covers for Phalanx is this 80's sci fi drawing of the ship in a hanger with crew all around it. Its cool, but still doesn't quite beat the hillbilly.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

It owns

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Awesome Welles posted:

some of those PC shmups from back in the day were pretty good, Tyrian let you pilot a carrot ship and use banana cannons, goty 1995

gently caress you

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

played some more espgaluda 2 tonight. i really like the bullet patterns in this game

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Swelter Discharge posted:

played some more espgaluda 2 tonight. i really like the bullet patterns in this game

Cool av.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

thank you

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006

the ship is the wrong colour.

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

Why don't you just turn the tv instead of loving up your neck like that

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Why play with a loving dpad when the arcade stick is right in front of you? This image is full of wrong.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
live and let live IMO

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
No. there is a time and a place for Noob poo poo. and ikaruga is no such time or place. If you were a gamer you would know that

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i think ikaruga is the bad shmup to like? but if youre insulting me for rreal then gently caress U

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
ikaruga is a holy game, and playing it is a sacred trial

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

OkieMurse posted:

Why don't you just turn the tv instead of loving up your neck like that

that tv doesnt look very easy to put on its side

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Sizone posted:

Why play with a loving dpad when the arcade stick is right in front of you? This image is full of wrong.

my guess is that it's a ps2 stick

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

my guess is that it's a ps2 stick

its a dreamcast stick

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
y is that gamecube blocking the screen

so much fail

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

lol they live in filth

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Swelter Discharge posted:

its a dreamcast stick

ah that is p hosed up

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

some people only like sticks for fighters and play shmups with pads and it's something I've never understood

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

d0s posted:

lol they live in filth

its perfectly clean.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

lots of judgmental gamers

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
tihis guys wires are a freaking shambles.... i really hate him because of it. . hes so bad... im really good in comparison to him..

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

and that gamecube, dont get me started on the loving gamecube

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

d0s posted:

some people only like sticks for fighters and play shmups with pads and it's something I've never understood

Promethueus set the European record for DoDonPachi using a keyboard. Its whatever you are comfortable with. I'm probably better on a d-pad than an arcade stick, because I don't live in Japan and couldn't cut my teeth in an arcade setting.

Abandon posted:

ikaruga is a holy game, and playing it is a sacred trial

People really give it to Ikaruga, but its alright. I don't know why it became THE SHMUP that mainstream people have heard of. Why Treasure and not Cave? Doesn't matter now.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

This guy seems pretty cool to me.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Agag posted:

I don't live in Japan and couldn't cut my teeth in an arcade setting.

me neither I'm just old :(

e: @living in Japan, I did start in arcades because I am old and started when US arcades had lotsa good shmups

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

its perfectly clean.

it was just a joke, my lifestyle is similar to the one depicted in that picture

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

d0s posted:

e: @living in Japan, I did start in arcades because I am old and started when US arcades had lotsa good shmups

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

congratulations

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

d0s posted:

I grew up in the sticks. I remember rocking some Raiden at a convenience store, and the movie theater nearby had Galaga, but that's it.

Looking back this is not a sob story. Galaga rules.

• Locked thread