Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Agag posted:

I grew up in the sticks. I remember rocking some Raiden at a convenience store, and the movie theater nearby had Galaga, but that's it.

Looking back this is not a sob story. Galaga rules.

One of my first memories is of playing Galaga, on a cocktail cabinet, and the beautiful, angelic cocktail waitress who magically appeared and game me a stack of quarters when mine ran out. This was in, like, 1980 or '81, pretty sure it was before I was old enough to talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sizone posted:

One of my first memories is of playing Galaga, on a cocktail cabinet, and the beautiful, angelic cocktail waitress who magically appeared and game me a stack of quarters when mine ran out. This was in, like, 1980 or '81, pretty sure it was before I was old enough to talk.

I remember going to a doctor's office and they had a Ms Pac Man cocktail machine.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Sizone posted:

Best relationship with a woman any gamer has ever had, or will have.

Adults giving me quarters when I was a kid was manna from heaven.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
been playing some gradius v

type-2 with the aim-able options is so friggin op i just feel dirty using it.
like god drat, those bacterians have no loving chance in hell. they are simply not prepared.

type-2 gives you a long laser and aim-able options. you can rotate the options while they are firing the laser and destroy everything.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
its hella sweet

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

elf help book posted:

I remember going to a doctor's office and they had a Ms Pac Man cocktail machine.

the only cocktail machine i have ever seen in person was when i was 6 or 7 at a greasy grill place called burger blaze. it was a frogger machine set on free play and it was amazing.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
Here's a cool shmup I found the other day, pretty easy, but its got some weird visuals and is synced to the music, guess it was used to promote some album? Hell if I know, I just though it was fun for an afternoon.

http://lazy-brain-games.itch.io/level-2-the-virus-master

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

been playing some gradius v

type-2 with the aim-able options is so friggin op i just feel dirty using it.
like god drat, those bacterians have no loving chance in hell. they are simply not prepared.

type-2 gives you a long laser and aim-able options. you can rotate the options while they are firing the laser and destroy everything.

Solid game. I tended to prefer he R-Type series when it comes to classic memorizers, but I logged a lot of hours on this on the PS2 after grabbing it cheap.

If you like slower horis you might want to try Hydorah. Free from an excellent indie dev.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
speaking of indies

there is a lil shmup called Final Boss made by a two finnish ppl here
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29058

it's still unfinished but the parts that are finished are good. it also has the thing where the second loop changes everything: bullets, enemies, traps, bonuses, graphics, backgrounds, bosses, and music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Is luftrausers a euroshump? It's kind of a shmup but it's weird. It has a sneering Aryan on the cover like euro board games.

• Locked thread