Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

dialhforhero posted:

Tell me more about the love for, and quality of, Fiat.

How 'bout you start with GM and/or Boeing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only plane manufacturer I want for IL-2 is Mitsubishi.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Flyable B-25 or 26 please

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Popete posted:

For the J2M, yes.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Popete posted:

Same.

Although I believe I’ve been told in this thread, and it may have been you that told me, they they are almost certainly never going to do it because sufficient accurate performance data for the IJN/IJA aircraft doesn’t exist.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MrMojok posted:

Same.

Although I believe I’ve been told in this thread, and it may have been you that told me, they they are almost certainly never going to do it because sufficient accurate performance data for the IJN/IJA aircraft doesn’t exist.

That's an excuse I've seen floating around but I'm not entirely convinced that's the real (or at least main) reason. I think it has more to do with the complexities of making carriers and other ships in their engine. Also their limitation in map size means carrier vs carrier engagements are going to be pretty trivial since actual carrier battles were more about finding the enemy first and in a small enough map that wouldn't take long especially if you know they're out there.

I could see them doing a Chinese Theater though and not having to deal with the ships.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Spanish Civil War would be cool. They already have some of the planetypes, and new ones (like a SB-2) could be used for China and Finland expansions as well.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'd like a North African/Italian theatre because I don't think I've ever seen one.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

I'd like a North African/Italian theatre because I don't think I've ever seen one.

You're aware of Il2 Cliffs of Dover, right?

They already have a significant portion of the US plane set for the early war SW Pacific theater. B-25, B-26, A-20, P-39, P-40, P-38. Granted, most would need a little backdating, but that would be easier and faster than starting from scratch. A New Guinea expansion would be a snap.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I was aware of Cliffs of Dover but I'd avoided that whole thing because of how unstable it was until the community mods made it bearable (I know that blitz has fixed most of it but even so) so I never knew about the Tobruk expansion.

I might have to take a look.

:frogsiren: Just noticed that the IL2 store appears to be having a pretty big sale on most of its modules :frogsiren:

Basically everything except Normandy and flying circus are on major sale right now. Usual price for me is $79.99 AUD for collectors additions and now Stalingrad to Bodenplatte are like $16-20 as collectors, and even cheaper as standard.

Tank clash special edition is usually $89.99 for me down to $30ish.

So check it out guys if there's gaps you want to fill in or want to get in while its cheap. Moscow to Bodenplatte special editions all total to $76 for me which is basically the price of 1 full priced module for 4 (Moscow Stalingrad Kuban Bodenplatte).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's also the Desert Wings expansion for Cliffs of Dover. That should scratch your North Africa itch nicely.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
How does this play with a gamepad? I just finished Ace Combat 7 and would like something with a bit more meat, but I don't want to deal with a flightstick.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I have no idea. How good is the precision on a gamepad joystick? Thumb vs wrist biomechanics aside, strictly technically it should work fine, you can control the game with literally any device that can create input on your system.

But and/or still, if the ingame configurations aren't enough to make it what you need, there is a veritable ocean of open source intermediary programs that can translate or transform input into whatever game output works best. That's how people can use their phones as headtracking for instance

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

beer gas canister posted:

How does this play with a gamepad? I just finished Ace Combat 7 and would like something with a bit more meat, but I don't want to deal with a flightstick.

as much as i love il2, i highly recommend War Thunder if you're using a gamepad as the devs specifically have taken crossplay with playstation players into consideration

also if you get a jet the endgame is basically ace combat pvp with ppl spamming guided missiles in every direction

but overall its a lot easier to scale the gameplay towards whatever youre feelin from pure arcade to sim stuff thats practically as similar as il2. war thunder has very active custom servers and tanks/ships in the mix too where every match you'll see other players that are using a gamepad

also its free lol

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Jason Williams the former lead on the game left the studio some months back. Today he announced he's leading development of a new, Pacific theater focused flight sim.

https://stormbirds.blog/2023/05/18/combat-pilot-a-new-pacific-wwii-sim-coming-from-jason-williams-and-barbedwire-studios/

Some caveats, of course; the studio hasn't produced flight sims before but this will definitely be something to follow closely.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I just want to be horribly murdered in a Devastator at Midway, how is that still too much to ask?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That's real cool but I want one overall game! <:mad:>

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
IL-2 devs have said they are going to announce something sometime soon but it's been like 5 months now and the latest roadmap shows them finishing their already announced projects and aircraft into 2024.

I love this game but I really want something new not just another theater and 6 more BF-109s. I really want a pacific theater and a truly dynamic campaign with tons of aircraft in the air at once. Also heavy bombers!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

I just want to be horribly murdered in a Devastator at Midway, how is that still too much to ask?

I don't know if you read the interview, but he says the Devastator is his favorite plane and they will definitely have a well-modeled one in game. So no, it's not too much to ask!

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I don't think the IL-2 team is doing the Pacific Theater. I suspect that's part of why Jason left, but I believe they've said something along the lines of "no Pacific yet"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My guess is they'll do the Italian theater which I really don't have a strong interest for.

The game doesn't need more content as far as maps and planes go. It needs something entirely new like a dynamic large scale campaign.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Definitely. The game's reaching the point where almost any plane is flyable, and getting some obscure version (It's a BF-109 but without air conditioning!) has very little mass appeal. The game's stagnating.
Though, the forums are still full of people who post "Omg finally we get the 109 G-6AS it's my dream and I've been waiting it and you know the 109 G-6 just wasn't cutting it" and I'm left watching this like: :dafuq:
That's one of the new planes coming, at it's a G-6 with DB 605AS engine so it flies faster a bit higher.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I agree with both of you. Il-2 as a platform is starting to really show its age and I'm really getting subpar vibes from the new owners. They're focusing almost exclusively on Flying Circus and everything for the WWII theater is a "collector plane," so I'm pretty lukewarm on the future of this game. It was great in its time, but it's gotten pretty long in the tooth and I'm hoping things will move quickly for this new PacWar sim.

I thought I read somewhere that Jason ended up at Microprose, not this new studio he's with now. Am I misremembering that?

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just how many 109 variants do they have in the game right now?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

MrMojok posted:

Yes.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm fairly certain they're just making them up at this point.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

MrMojok posted:

Not empty-quoting, but… there's only one real answer.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

carriers i undersrand but idc if they can only do island airfields making pacific themed maps is one of the easiest environments to model on earth lol

that dev leaving to work on a pacific themed game is an extremely loving bad sign for the future of this game

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

In a couple months I’m going to be able to get a new PC, and I’ve decided to get back into this WWII flightsim madness.

I already have battle of Stalingrad and I think Kuban, but I bought those to get maps because I was playing Tank Crew. I intend to buy the other “Battle of” expansions for the new game, but I also want to play 1946.

I still have my original 1946 install DVD. I intend to use the B.A.T. mod from https://www.sas1946.com

My main reason for wanting to play this older version too is they have a shitload of planes, and most importantly, they have the Pacific.

Does anybody still play 1946, and use B.A.T.? Any issues with Windows 10 or 11 (aside from DEP) or modern processors/cards?

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

mllaneza posted:

I know it's (probably) not what you were referring to, but drat I'd love a Crimson Skies mod/expansion for IL-2! A Hughes P21-J Devastator flying over the Pacific islands would be amazing

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

I know it's (probably) not what you were referring to, but drat I'd love a Crimson Skies mod/expansion for IL-2! A Hughes P21-J Devastator flying over the Pacific islands would be amazing

I'd have to do some serious thinking, but if there's anything I might want more than Torpedo-8 getting slaughtered at Midway, it's a Crimson Skies remake in the IL-2 engine.

I mean, I just want one pilot in the squadron to go in there and get a hit Waldron did nothing wrong, but on the other hand... Crimson Skies in the IL-2 engine.

That said, A Dawn Like Thunder is an amazing narrative about Torpedo 8, before Midway, at Midway in both Devastators and Avengers (and how apt would that name prove to be?), and after Midway flying from Cactus. I wonder how they got the dirt on certain personalities (*cough* Hornet's CAG *cough*) (*cough flight to nowhere *cough*) but I've read a lot on Midway and I think you'd need letters home and post-battle interviews to be sure either way.

tl;dr Read A Dawn Like Thunder

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Aug 23, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

MrMojok posted:

In a couple months I’m going to be able to get a new PC, and I’ve decided to get back into this WWII flightsim madness.

I already have battle of Stalingrad and I think Kuban, but I bought those to get maps because I was playing Tank Crew. I I tend to buy the other “Battle of” expansions for the new game, but I also want to play 1946.

I still have my original 1946 install DVD. I intend to use the B.A.T. mod from https://www.sas1946.com

My main reason for wanting to play this older version too is they have a shitload of planes, and most importantly, they have the Pacific.

Does anybody still play 1946, and use B.A.T.? Any issues with Windows 10 or 11 (aside from DEP) or modern processors/cards?

'46 should work without issue, I know a couple people did a co-op multiplayer series of campaign missions in it a while ago, and precisely because of the Pacific and the assload of modded planes through b.a.t.

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008
IL-2 official twitter account caught replying to a Lindsay Graham twitter post saying #DefundUkraine

Official IL2 Twitter account tweets in support of the Russian invasion of Ukraine - r/il2sturmovik/ - Reddit

Deletes tweet and tweets about "unauthorized access to the account". Community Manager LukeFF posts on discord that it was done via a shared phone by someone who did not check what account they were logged in as.

"We would like to apologize for an unsolicited comment that appeared on our Twitter account. The comment was immediately deleted. As previously stated, this was caused by unauthorized access to the account." IL-2 Sturmovik: Great Battles @il2bos - Twitter

"I've compiled a quick selection of screenshots from the IL-2 official Twitter account, dating back to 8th June, one week after LukeFF was appointed as Community Manager. The 8th of June marks the start of the account being used to like Russian Propaganda & associated talking points, in addition to Anti-Vax sentiment and Homophobic remarks." - Reddit post by u/Star57A on r/Hoggit

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad on steam receives a small review bomb of about 50 negative reviews before steam's review bomb protection is activated.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

That guy was always a dick

ty for posting

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 30, 2023

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Jesus loving christ.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

clearly they need to make a pacific campaign now to save the company :troll:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And Burno shall be their community manager

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Dandywalken posted:

That guy was always a dick

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A new WW2 flight sim can't come along soon enough. I haven't played much IL-2 lately because the new stuff they've been putting out is just not very interesting but I'm ready for someone fresh on the market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Popete posted:

A new WW2 flight sim can't come along soon enough. I haven't played much IL-2 lately because the new stuff they've been putting out is just not very interesting but I'm ready for someone fresh on the market.

What?! You’re not excited for the upcoming eighth BF-109 variant?!

What’s great about their recent fiasco is the subtle reprimand to people who have thoughts about it.

quote:

…and we were very surprised to see that some of our players could be so easily influenced by speculation caused by this unauthorized comment.

This is not how you run PR and damage control. As a company you’ve got no choice but to address it, but what I’m saying is, a thinly-veiled rebuke of your paying customers for seeing something wrong with it, isn’t how you deal with this.

You are supposed to say “It was hosed up. It was hosed up that we allowed it to happen, and it won’t happen again. Sorry.”

What you don’t do, is whatever this is.

We buy your poo poo. There are few PC games more niche than the one you trade in.