Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I'm sad I missed a goon He111 crew. When's the next session?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

jadebullet posted:

Also, for those of you who are good at engine management, can you tell me why this keeps happening to me. I will be flying the HE111 and I will take enough damage to lose an engine, but take no damage to the other engine. So, I feather the dead engine, and throttle back a bit on the good engine to keep the ATA and revs a bit lower but still find that within about 30 seconds to a minute the good engine starts to trail black smoke and I get the "engine damaged" message and eventually the engine dies. I don't take any other shots to the good engine either, because I tested this by purposely destroying an engine to see if it would still do it, and it does. What am I doing wrong?
I have no idea if this even makes sense for the HE111, but maybe the damage to one engine is causing loss of hydraulic pressure or cooling oil or water that affects the other?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
We need to do broadsides as soon as the server binaries are released.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

jadebullet posted:

once I was flying along just fine when engine 2 just seized. No warning, no "engine 2 damage" just a sudden red "Engine 2 stopped" warning that popped up and the engine just dies.
That sounds more like you were running it at too high an RPM for too long.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

El Perkele posted:

The expert mode is kicking my rear end with the engine management.
Open your radiators prior to takeoff and don't throttle above 80% outside of takeoff/emergency measures during combat and you should find your engine dying a lot less.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

semper wifi posted:

I heard that this games multiplayer was dead on arrival because of terrible balance problems, that you have to grind out upgrades for your $40 internet plane, that the devs are planning to charge you if you want to skip said grind, and that basically everything that isn't flying a plane is awful, which is exactly what i've come to expect from il-2 so i bought it on steam anyway :negative: :negative: :negative:
I don't know where you heard that. The unlocks are dumb, yeah, but there's certainly no indication of any sort of pay-to-unlock, and the multiplayer scene's been lively (for a spergy plane sim) since early in the beta. It's built on RoF's engine, so everything's pretty solid, flexible, and polished to begin with, and they've only improved on that.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Geisladisk posted:

Second, I joined a full-sperg-mode online server last night, and after flying around a bit in my Bf-109 my engine caught fire out of the blue. I'm guessing this is because I was running at too high throttle for too long - But what I thought was the engine's thermometer was in the green.
I've never heard of engine failure causing you to catch fire. Are you sure you didn't just get shot by someone you didn't see? It's (realistically) easy to miss the cues under the noise of just being in a WWII fighter.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
This game runs beautifully at 4k with SLI Geforce 970s. Unfortunately, the LOD boundaries are a lot more obvious when you have that much pixel density. Anyone know if there's a way to manually crank up the view distances?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Truga posted:

don't open throttle fully until you're at decent speed in the fw190 because that thing has way too much power for its rudder at low speed.
Or just firewall the thing and stamp on the brakes on one side :getin:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
They've been clear that they want to release expansion packs with more maps and planes, but will only do so if BoS is financially successful enough.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

TheTrend posted:

I didn't even know this had come out. Do goons still play this, because I would very much like to play
We haven't started playing yet. The plan is to wait for dedicated servers and the mission editor to be released publically, so we can start having some custom coops to play and a private server to play them on. I for one would still be down for a little casual dogfighting and/or faffing around on the public servers in the mean time, though.

TheTrend posted:

and murder Ralith.
:confused:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Definitely get headtracking before rudder pedals. It's a must for being combat-effective.

Hav posted:

777 is run by an ex-trackir employee, so you might want to return Rise of Flight and BoS if that's your reasoning.
Maybe they left because they didn't like working for giant douches.

EvilJoven posted:

:siren: MAKE SURE THE GAME YOU WANT TO USE THIS WITH SUPPORTS FREETRACK SOME GAMES ARE FUCKERS AND ONLY WORK WITH AN ACTUAL NATURALPOINT TRACKIR :siren:
To be clear, this is because NaturalPoint goes out of their way to make this happen. It's almost certainly not the gamedevs' intention to have limited hardware support.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I just bind "pilot head zoom" to a slider on my throttle. Very useful to be able to switch around as needed for checking instruments/spotting/dogfighting.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

captainhowdy posted:

Seems to be these ones but with a gameport connector
That would be why you were the only bidder. If you're equipped to deal with that, though, great!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
There are a lot of cues your plane gives you when you're pulling up too hard. Shaking, wobble, different noises, and so on. Be alert and you'll get the hang of them soon. Maybe play some free flight and do some really aggressive maneuvering to get a feel for things.

Maintaining orientation is mostly a matter of looking around a lot. This is much easier with TrackIR for obvious reasons.

It's rare for anyone to be able to trim to the point of being completely hands-off in a WWII plane. I usually just use a touch of rudder to correct torque and leave it at that. If you're falling behind people, make sure you're managing your fuel mix/prop pitch/supercharger properly, and not wasting too much energy wobbling around trying to stay perfectly in formation. Maneuver gently, and even try some high yo-yos to retain energy better if you need to make a hard turn.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 14, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Until dedicated servers and the mission editor are out, we're limited to the options the public servers give us. Some have fairly elaborate scripted PVP missions, others just have dogfights. Even then it's still fun to play as a group and coordinate, though.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

777 Studios posted:

Owners of Premium accounts will be able activate all modifications without unlocking them in Campaign mode. You have a Premium account if you bought Premium edition, or Standard edition plus both additional planes: La-5 and Fw 190 A-3. Activating modifications cannot be reverted so you must make a considerate and thoughtful decision before you click the button. Note that this button doesn’t activate unlockable plane skins which remain obtainable through the Campaign.

What else is coming to BOS this spring? Of course, I’m talking about full mission editor and dedicated server software which will become available to every player. We’ve overcome some temporary difficulties, and now we’re working actively on the user version of FME. It should be ready this spring, in April or May 2015. And as the development goes, Loft and I will be sharing the most interesting details about it with you.

And now a few words about what is coming to BOS within the next few months. Keep in mind, that I’m about to tell just a part of current plan that the team is working at right now. I’m keeping some good news for the next announcement.

We are going to add 2 new versions of the Stalingrad map - summer and autumn maps, and also new campaign chapters telling the history of earlier phases of the Battle in the 3rd quarter of 2015. The maps will be available to all current and future owners of the game in all possible modes.

tl;dr: Mission editor and server coming in a few months, summer/fall versions of the main map and more campaign coming later.

In other news, a sequel entitled "Battle of Moscow" has been announced, which will include a new map and another ten planes, including the I-16 type 24. Presumably it'll be multiplayer-compatible. Looks like 777 is keeping their word about the business model for this franchise.

The Premium planes are on sale for 50% off until February 20th, and if you buy both you have the option to instantly get all the unlocks just like a Premium owner.

Ralith fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 13, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
The flight model doesn't suck, it's prettier, the planes are more accurate and detailed, the bulk of the content isn't locked away behind a grind you can host your own servers and make complex missions...

Really, all it's missing is player-controlled tanks, and they've actually demoed an (extremely basic) proof-of-concept of that a year or two ago. Doubt they'll invest resources in it, but you never know.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Does anyone know what the scripting support in the mission editor is like?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, did they announce they're doing the Mc 202?
Battle of Moscow plane list:

I-16s :allears:

pixelbaron posted:

I imagine it's pretty robust considering it's exactly like RoF's editor, which unfortunately means it's a nightmare to make a custom mission compared to 1946.
I mean, do they have a real scripting language? Some in-house abortion of one? Or an ungainly mess of hacked-together automation you can only set up through the mission editor GUI?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

pixelbaron posted:

I think it's the last one but I never got too deep into it because my eyes glaze over any time I try and do something in it.

You gotta like attach triggers and poo poo to nodes and planes and blah blah blah it's complex.

Well, there go my hopes of setting up awesome gimmicky custom gamemodes. :negative:
Why do flightsim devs have to be so russian?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
The premium version gives you the option to get all the unlockable modifications without any grind, too.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Am I weird for always using 100% linear curves? I kinda like getting a feel for the way individual planes respond, rather than trying to make them all respond the same way.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Wait, they scrapped mod support? What the hell are they thinking?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
It's confusing having this technologically really solid game have such incompetent management. It's like there's one really crazy person in a position of power at 777/1C that nobody's willing to challenge, demanding that things be arranged so that they can get off on a feeling of authority by personally approving every single server, mod, and modded server.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'm down with full-sperg, but I'm also happy with less if other people aren't comfortable with that. You really need to be able to enjoy stuff like navigation as part of the game in its own right, rather than an obstacle to shooting things.

You end up with a lot of stuff like getting lost for ten minutes and flying around in circles squinting at your map.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That was a lot of fun! Felt really nice to get back into some good old FW190 boom and zoom in a sim that actually has aerodynamics.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
The Stuka is a great plane.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I love that ridiculous heavy bomb.

That was some pretty nice bombing. Couldn't have asked for better aim on the last one. Makes me excited for some coop ground-attack missions.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Wooper posted:

It would have to be, unless you want to use another password to access your password.
If you have remotely competent security people on the dev team, you solve this problem by making the authentication server give a cryptographic nonce which can be used to perform a passwordless login but is invalidated the next time a fresh nonce is requested (by means of a valid password). The nonce can be leaked far and wide and it is, at worst, an inconvenience.

Of course, no gamedevs anywhere are competent enough to do that, so it's not like this is some uniquely russian failing.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Don't most aircraft have a way to jettison external stores without actually firing them?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
That reminds me: Next time we're screwing around, we should try mid-air bombing of another plane. In 1946 this made the bomb glue to the other plane until the fuse went off, which was hilarious.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure I've seen planes do it in RoF, assuming you mean just touching their wheels to the other plane's wing for a brief period.
Use the heaviest bomber and the lightest fighter, and see if we can get the fighter sitting on top of the bomber with its engine shut down.

JerikTelorian posted:

Because goons are so good at formation flying.
But that's half the fun!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Battle of Moscow pre-orders for the premium edition open at $80. Full set of aircraft: I-16 Type 24, Bf-109 E-7, MiG-3, Bf-109 F-2, IL-2 model 1941, Bf-110 E-2, Pe-2 Series 35, Ju-88 A-4, P-40 E-1, MC.202 Series VIII, the last two of which do not come with the standard edition. As before, the premium edition also lets you skip unlocks.

Notable new information:

777 Studios posted:

Compatibility of BOS and BOM: 100% compatibility via a single user account with one GUI and one game client. This means that when you purchase BOS and BOM, content from both titles can be used on all maps in certain gameplay modes (QMB, Custom Missions, and Multiplayer). Content in the Campaigns will remain specific to each title.

Steam users: Even if you have BOS activated on Steam now, you can pre-order BOM on our site today using your user account (registered email on our site) in which any BOS edition was previously activated. You can activate the key on our site and get access to BOM content during Early Access. :siren: Then when BOM is released on Steam you will have an opportunity to deactivate the key on our site and get a Steam key from us and activate it on the Steam page to add BOM in your Steam game-library:siren: [emphasis added]. Then activate the key on our site and get access to the game without losing all your early game experience on your user account.

They don't explicitly state that this works if you have non-steam BoS, but given that they're very clear about it being "one game client" with access to all content, I can't imagine it not working.

Looks like 777 is sticking to their word about releasing content in old IL2 style expansion packs rather than RoF style microtransactions :toot:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Well, someone needs to step up and take responsibility for either finding missions or making them.

Their servers track your unlock state. It might be possible to work around it in custom multiplayer missions, if it is anywhere, but that's just a guess.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Hav posted:

We use 'hashing'
That wouldn't really help. See my post explaining how this sort of thing is done securely.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Not sure what your point is, exactly, but in case it wasn't clear: naively-applied hash functions can be easily brute-forced, even properly salted ones are vulnerable to dictionary attacks, and a completely random server-generated nonce is proof against all of the above.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Rift support has been planned all along, and I think it might actually be in already. Not sure.

Battle of Moscow will have new content (and is only $60 if you don't feel the need to be ~premium~) but I don't think goons are going to start playing the game until there's a good selection of coop missions (or someone takes it upon themselves to start making them).

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
I'm interested in flying BoS or 1946, though I don't have a ton of free time these days and I'll probably stop showing up if we end up replaying the same missions (or missions which are indistinguishable) over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Reztes posted:

Those do seem pretty cool, especially the dynamic campaign & MDS points (also I really want to fly a P-38 for some reason and that had me eying 1946).

I think one of the things I find the most lacking in BoS is the total inability to rearm & refuel, which I also remember being annoying in Rise of Flight. Does anybody know if BoS through the mission editor or whatever even supports a rearm/refuel/repair mechanic?
What's wrong with landing and taking off in a fresh plane? It's functionally equivalent.