Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Fruit of Grisaia (Grisaia no Kajitsu) is a visual novel by a company called Frontwing that's gained a moderate level of popularity in the west after a fan translation came out a year ago, and reportedly has an official all-ages localization in the works by the same people.

After a fairly lengthy wait, it's getting an anime with the Fall 2014 season. Here's Wikipedia's quick synopsis:

quote:

Yūji Kazami transfers to Mihama Academy, a school with only five female students and prison-like features. Every student in the school have their own "circumstances" for being there, but Yūji is not required to do anything about their situation as he asked for a normal student life.

The original VN is essentially a comedy mixed with some occasional action for the moderately lengthy common route, after which it splits into 5 individual routes for the 5 main heroines. Each route goes more in depth into each heroine's tragic backstory and ramps up the drama.

It's currently unknown how long the anime will be or what/how many routes they're going to tackle with it, but from the end of episode one it looks like there's a good chance that they're going to try for all 5 of them. We'll see how many cuts that will entail.

Main Characters:

Juicy Yuuji Mr. Standoffish Man Kazami Yuuji
CV: Takahiro Sakurai (Suzaku from Code Geass, Oshino Nene from Monogatari series)

The protagonist. Supposedly a mysterious exchange student "from Canada", he secretly does dirty work for Ichigaya, a military governmental agency. Came to Mihama Academy seeking a normal life.

Sakaki Yumiko
CV: Ryouko Tanaka (Kurugaya from Little Busters)

A cold loner student who clashes with others, often sleeps late and cuts classes until the evening. Carries a box cutter and frequently uses it to threaten others. The first student to enroll at Mihama. Likes reading books and surfing the net.

Suou Amane
CV: Hiroko Taguchi (Sumika from Muv Luv)

Third year student, onee-san type who takes care of most of the others in the dorm, acting as something of a mother for Makina. Parents own a restaurant and is an excellent cook as a result. Slips into a Kyoto accent when excited. Deeply interested in cars.

Matsushima Michiru
CV: Kaori Mizuhashi (Mami from Madoka, Miyako from Hidamari, Navi from Ocarina of Time, and a million other things)

A girl who deliberately tries to act like a tsundere, dying her hair blond and doing vocal practice for tsundere catchphrases. Kind of a noisy idiot. A frequent fan favorite, recently got an all-ages spinoff game.

Irisu Makina
CV: Tomoe Tamiyasu (Rin from Little Busters)

First year student, is extremely shy around strangers and tends to cling to others as family. Has her own room in the dorm, but basically lives in Amane's. Traveled around the world a lot while growing up, so has a tendency to slip into english sometimes. Extremely impressionable, tends to pick up habits from others quickly.

Komine Sachi
CV: Ai Shimizu* (Dai-Sensei from Is This a Zombie, Mikoto from My-Hime, a fair amount of other stuff.)

First year student and class representative, she wears a maid uniform all the time except when attending school, bathing, or swimming, because "everyone told her to wear it as much as possible." Polite, responsible, and extremely helpful, she's depended on by everyone at the school, including the staff. Sometimes takes jokes too seriously. Has a deep, serious love for sharks.

*This is a complete aside, but while looking her up, apparently Sachi's seiyuu is a huge fan of fishing and pro wrestling, to the extent she sells her own line of lures and has both commented and fought in major pro wrestling events? Never getting that image out of my head now.

Other Characters:

Tachibana Chizuru
CV: Izumi Maki (Komari from Little Busters)

Principal of Mihama academy, daughter of the prefectural governor. Came to know Yuuji from some past event and offered him Mihama academy as a place to experience a normal school life.

Sequels!

Grisaia no Kajitsu is the first part of a trilogy of games, the other two being The Labyrinth of Grisaia (Grisaia no Meikyuu) and The Eden of Grisaia (Grisaia no Rakuen). Meikyuu is mostly one long flashback telling the story of Yuuji's past, and Rakuen is an endcap for the series that brings all the characters together for a lot of big action.

Neither has gotten an english translation yet. I've played both and they're very good, so hopefully we get them someday, or the anime is successful enough to get a second season that covers them.

Frontwing also recently released a Michiru-centered spinoff, Idol Mahou Shoujo Chiruchiru ☆ Michiru. Was originally announced as an April Fools joke, but the real joke was that the game was real. Split into two parts, first one came out a couple months ago, the next one comes out at the end of the year.

[spioler]Spoilers![/spoilers]

There are some twists to this series, and I know a fair number of people on this forum have played the game. Try not to talk about game spoilers, and if you absolutely must, then for the love of god LABEL YOUR SPOILERS. Otherwise, same rules as the rest of the forum.

Bakanogami fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
From the first episode it looks like they're skipping the comedy and going straight to the drama. I don't expect this to be good but I'm still going to watch the whole thing.

The only thing I think this episode got right was Michiru's introduction.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Baka...you didn't label your spoiler tags correctly.

And there should be comedy down the road.

Whichever road this anime decides to take that is...

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
The first episode was surprisingly pretty drat good.

I liked the whole 21:9 aspect ratio and how cinematographically were shot some scenes (slow mo hug attack was awesome). Though faces of the characters (and some scenes in general) were drawn a little bit derpy at times. I guess they spend all of their budget animating Chiruchiru because good lord she's certainly moves a lot and gloriously (not surprising, considering that the two main animators on the show, Masayuki Nonaka and Enishi Oshima, are both Dogakobo regulars). And that is wonderful.

They cut a fair amount (though maybe they'll use some scenes in the next episodes), but it was mostly not really necessary and interesting scenes, so it's fine. Though I'm sad that they cut the cicada scene ("HEY! Where are yoo going!?" indeed :(), but considering the amount of funny moments in the VN that's to be expected, you simply can't fit them all (speaking of funny moments: Yuuji's "I wouldn't say I'm very fond of jokes" was hilarious because just moments later he shows that he's very fond of jokes (or at least sarcastic remarks); Yuuji, stop bullshiting people :argh:).

Very much liked that they kept the soundtrack from the VN. Because, firstly, it's pretty good, so no need to fix what ain't broken, and secondly, after 50+ hours of reading it's just ingrained in my brain now, so it wouldn't be the same without it. Also, the voice of Takahiro Sakurai fits Yuuji perfectly.

And man, those last two minutes. Yeah, I think I'm gonna hop on on this hype bus train. It would be really cool If 8bit indeed plans to adapt all 5 routes. All they have to do now is to finally announce that there's gonna be 2-cour and I'll be very happy (well, at least before they'll start screwing up the adaptation, which I of course hope doesn't happen).

What I didn't liked is the amount of teasing (if you even can call it that), especially with Amane. They (VN spoilers) basically spoiled a pretty big twist to the anime-only viewers, you're not supposed to know about that at this point; I very much liked how VN just subtly (very, even) hints at it at the beginning and you realize what was that all about only much much later on. And Sachi's bit (VN spoler) at the end doesn't even make sense, she never even touched explosives (at least I don't remember that), let alone made them). I get that they did it to hook the anime-only viewers in (and looks like it worked), but they could’ve been at least a little bit subtle. Also, not a fan of pantyshots. They just seem out of place (in the entire VN there’s only one pantyshot, and it’s right at the start), especially considering that there's enough Amane and sexual jokes that you simply don't need to add pantyshots. There's enough fanservice as it is, basically.

P.S. Dat Juicy Yuuji's juicy butt.

Hommando posted:

From the first episode it looks like they're skipping the comedy and going straight to the drama.
Ermm... what? Where did you got that idea from?

Grouchio posted:

Baka...you didn't label your spoiler tags correctly.
It's not like he did it for you or anything!

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 8, 2014

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hey y'all did you see the panty shot?

How about this one?

How about a fullscreen 1080p shot just in case you missed it?

More? OKAY! Lemme get the anime fog machine warmed up

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

How does he lean like this?!!?

Oh God What
Apr 25, 2009

Oh Snapalope posted:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Been taking posing lessons from Araki.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapalope posted:

Jojo eat your heart out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Maybe this is my brain auto-correcting improperly, but I got the impression that the camera is tilted and the hill is steeper than it looks.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

Clarste posted:

Maybe this is my brain auto-correcting improperly, but I got the impression that the camera is tilted and the hill is steeper than it looks.

If the hill is that steep, don't think the girl can sit like that then.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Oh Snapalope posted:

If the hill is that steep, don't think the girl can sit like that then.

But is it easier to sit like that on a steep hill or stand like that on a normal one?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Having only ever heard the name before, I went into the first episode totally blind. I liked it overall. Good manbutt, good atmosphere, good character interactions. I'm looking forward to seeing how hosed up these folks are.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

DiabloCthulhu posted:

And Sachi's bit (VN spoler) at the end doesn't even make sense, she never even touched explosives (at least I don't remember that), let alone made them).
You're half right. (Sachi VN spoilers) She didn't touch explosives at all until Yuuij suggested it to her, as she was lamenting over the inability to burn down the school. He told her to try using plastic explosives drilled into key structural points of the building. It's a strange change, so I'll have to see how it pans out.

Chiruchiru's introduction was great, I hope they keep it up. Her whole scene felt like it was animated by Shaft, which I am totally ok with.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Looking forward to the show hopefully improving on some things that I disliked in the game (obscenely long flashbacks, I'm looking at you). Too bad that the probable omnibus route we'll be seeing makes a few good scenes unlikely to appear (Amane/Sakaki's epilogues, for instance).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Blhue posted:

Looking forward to the show hopefully improving on some things that I disliked in the game (obscenely long flashbacks, I'm looking at you). Too bad that the probable omnibus route we'll be seeing makes a few good scenes unlikely to appear (Amane/Sakaki's epilogues, for instance).
Flashbacks seem to get longer in each subsequent route I do. I'm finishing off Amane's one, and it's taking forever. drat, this girl wrote a shitload in her diary.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hers is by far the longest, Angelic Howl will probably be an episode all on its own. Sakaki comes in second place, the other three aren't so bad.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

Hers is by far the longest, Angelic Howl will probably be an episode all on its own. Sakaki comes in second place, the other three aren't so bad.

Angelic Howl could easily fill two episodes if they wanted. It's still up in the air how long a series they're going for, and from the title of episode 2 they're going to do at least some common route shenanigans.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I hope so, the common route is by among the best parts of the VN

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Went in blind, wasn't really interested until the end where they were pretty much reintroduced in a matter of minutes. Will probably be a three episode test. Maybe five since options are thin so far this season.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I do wonder how they're going to do this. What are they going to change to accommodate doing multiple routes? If we lose any of the epilogues, I'll be disappointed.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I do wonder how they're going to do this. What are they going to change to accommodate doing multiple routes? If we lose any of the epilogues, I'll be disappointed.

Amane, Sakaki, and Makina's epilogues would be pretty hard to do. None of them are long enough to merit a Clannad style "what if" bonus episode of their own, and they can't really be reconciled with Yuuji not winding up with said girl.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'd especially miss Makina's epilogue. It's a pretty perfect ending to cap off her route, except for the slight creepiness.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I'd especially miss Makina's epilogue. It's a pretty perfect ending to cap off her route, except for the slight creepiness.

Regarding epilogues: we're almost certainly not getting any of them, especially not Makina's. The sequel VNs are predicated on a sort of unshown unified route where all story threads are resolved but the status quo maintained. Chances are that's what they're going to try to adapt here so that they have the option open of a second season. That plus the difficulties of trying to adapt the nonlinear format of a visual novel to the linear format of an anime.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

VN spoilers: So I finally got through the gigantic slog that was Angelic Howl. How are they going to contain that into a small arc? It was something crazy like 6 hours of reading. I knew roughly how it was going to end up and honestly, I thought Kazuki told Amane to save the salt for -other- reasons. Biggest mistake was not just up and leaving that night, instead of following the others. I thought Kazuki would've been smarter than that.

Now I've gotta get through the rest of this route and make a start on Makina's.

EDIT: more VN spoilers it really feels like the guy who approached Yuuji just before they set off to visit the memorial is the teacher from the fieldtrip.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 10, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I've been rereading the vn myself and it occurs to me this is probably a gonna be a 5 episode test show. I'd expect episodes 2 and 3 to be Yuuji getting Sakaki to not try to stab him constantly and befriending Makina, the latter of which I doubt will endear the skeptics to the show. Makina is great later, but early on she's exactly the kind of character adtrw tends to hate.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Sekai Project finally released details their plan for the Grisaia series.

http://prefundia.com/projects/view/lets-bring-the-grisaia-trilogy-to-the-west/2814/

To the surprise of no one who follows them, they're resorting to Kickstarter. Makes sense as they seem to be a really small company. Anyways here is the early look at the goals

$40,000 for The Fruit of Grisaia

Stretch goal of $80,000 for The Labyrinth of Grisaia

Stretch goal of $120,000 for The Eden of Grisaia

With a proposed stretch goal of $150,000 for Idol Mahou Shoujo Chiruchiru ☆ Michiru (Still under discussion it seems.)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Somebody just announced a half-done ChiruChiru fan project so I guess that's getting axed.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Blhue posted:

I'd expect episodes 2 and 3 to be Yuuji getting Sakaki to not try to stab him constantly and befriending Makina
Judging from the episode 2 preview pictures (spoilers, obviously), that's gonna be only in the second episode.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Those numbers are really high. But isn't the first one already on its way to Steam? I remember that was announced quite some time ago.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wonder if this show has some sort of panty shot quota it needs to hit each episode.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, kind of obnoxious. This episode was bland as I kind of expected. Hope we get past the introductions and actually let the humor begin soon.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013
The second episode was also pretty good. Glad that they didn't get rid of the chibi art style. JB is as awesome as I remember. A bit sad though that they cut out "Stop saying "Can I hit this guy? Just once?" with your eyes." But again, derpy animation in some places (several times, Yuuji's mouth wasn't even moving when he talked) and unnecessary pantyshots.

Also, the OP is pretty interesting. There's several scenes that at least remind me about some scenes in the openings of the sequels (you obviously shouldn't click on the links below if you want to avoid spoilers). The scene where the girls run to the apple tree reminds me of this scene from the Rakuen OP, the scene with the bird in the cage completely copy-pasted from the Prologue De La Grisaia OP (which is an unlockable chapter in the Rakuen), as this moment from the Rakuen OP. The frame with Makina with the rifle is pretty similar to this shot in the Meikyuu OP, Sachi with the broom reminds me of the "Combat" Sachi with the broom from the Rakuen OP, running on the lines Sakaki is also straight out of the Prologue OP. The end of the episode (where they show how Amane, Chiruchiru, Makina and Sachi arrived at the school) is also pretty much from the prologue (and on this note, I also found interesting that in the scene with Yuuji and Chizuri in the car (in the previous episode) they used the track from the Meikyuu OST). EDIT: Oh, and the scene with Sakaki researching information about Yuuji is also from the Rakuen, apparently (from the prologue, I assume). Simply fanservice for the fans or hints at something bigger :tinfoil:?

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 12, 2014

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I wonder if this show has some sort of panty shot quota it needs to hit each episode.

Yeah, I don't know why they're feeling the need to pack them in, there wasn't really much of that in the VN. But from what I've seen on Japanese blogs and comments, that's actually gotten a positive response over there :rolleyes:.

Ep 2 was pretty good, though they cut the scary story Yuuji told Makina, which is the first cut I'm upset about. Maybe I'll screenshot it and post it here later. At least they're keeping the SD style.

The last bits were also interesting. The flashbacks from Yumiko's perspective of everyone arriving at the school and later events were something that weren't put in until Rakuen. I guess they're putting them here as a nod for fans who get some of the jokes (like Michiru VN:having accidentally attended a middle school with the same name for a week before realizing her mistake) and an extra little bit of character fluff for first-timers.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Kinda weird complaining about panty shots in what was originally based on an 18+ visual novel but yeah they were pretty creepy and annoying. Somehow the VN fanservice is much less creepy than the anime fanservice.

Looks like Yumiko is the route they're going with. I like some of the new scenes that they added though I have to say the "How could you let a boy into what is essentially an all-girls school. You're just asking us for us all to get raped" got a chuckle out of me. Just what kind of view does she have of men?

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Stall_19 posted:

Kinda weird complaining about panty shots in what was originally based on an 18+ visual novel but yeah they were pretty creepy and annoying. Somehow the VN fanservice is much less creepy than the anime fanservice.

Looks like Yumiko is the route they're going with. I like some of the new scenes that they added though I have to say the "How could you let a boy into what is essentially an all-girls school. You're just asking us for us all to get raped" got a chuckle out of me. Just what kind of view does she have of men?
I was suspicious of it being a Yumiko route when I saw her introductory scene (and the way they lovingly animated her hair). They wouldn't put that much attention into her animation if she wasn't going to be the main focus, right?

Michiru is a cornercase where she's a spaz anyway, but despite how much she flits about the screen, her animation looks pretty derpy at times too.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

Stall_19 posted:

Looks like Yumiko is the route they're going with.

HiveCommander posted:

I was suspicious of it being a Yumiko route when I saw her introductory scene (and the way they lovingly animated her hair). They wouldn't put that much attention into her animation if she wasn't going to be the main focus, right?
I think you both are a little bit hasty in thinking that that they're going with the Yumiko's route. There was a lot of her in the beginning of the VN too, it's all pretty much the same as in the VN. And yes, they've added a few Yumiko's scenes from the prologue in the Rakuen but that doesn't mean that they're going with her route (how lovingly they animated her hair also doesn't mean anything), it's, as Bakanogami said, just a little bit of the character fluff for the anime-only viewers.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

DiabloCthulhu posted:

I think you both are a little bit hasty in thinking that that they're going with the Yumiko's route. There was a lot of her in the beginning of the VN too, it's all pretty much the same as in the VN. And yes, they've added a few Yumiko's scenes from the prologue in the Rakuen but that doesn't mean that they're going with her route (how lovingly they animated her hair also doesn't mean anything), it's, as Bakanogami said, just a little bit of the character fluff for the anime-only viewers.
I just got around to watching the second episode, and the OP features a lot of Yumiko (and Michiru too), but the way the other four girls had something about their past in one section and Yukiko's was on it's own makes it seem like there's going to be a focus on her. Might just be reading too much into it on my part, though since all the characters seem to have more consistent animation this ep.

Bonus points for the chibi scenes like they did in the VN, that was a neat little throwback.

DiabloCthulhu
Mar 23, 2013

HiveCommander posted:

and the OP features a lot of Yumiko
On par with the VN OP, really. So that doesn't tell much. Besides, (VN spoiler) on the official art and stuff like that for the Kajitsu they've always (or at least the majority of the time) tried to sell Yumiko as the Main Girl, and we all know that isn't true, so.

HiveCommander posted:

and Michiru too
Not really, she has pretty much the same amount of screentime as Amane, Makina and Sachi.

HiveCommander posted:

but the way the other four girls had something about their past in one section and Yukiko's was on it's own makes it seem like there's going to be a focus on her.
I think you're reading a bit too much into it. It's most likely just the usual somethingsomethingYumikoistheMainGirlsomethingsomething.

DiabloCthulhu fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Well, VN talk: I finally got around to making a start on Makina's route, I kinda hope they animate the top-secret girls meeting, C-Zuru getting flustered was just too amusing.

Also, the Engrish lesson from the common route would be fine too.
Basically, the more of the comedy scenes they adapt the better.

• Locked thread