Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Any Map Gamers here?

This is a reminder that using "Kebab" and "Remove kebab" when referring to the Ottomans and/or Muslims in general is STRICTLY forbidden.

There has been a recent up-tick in usage of these terms so I am making sure that everyone is very, very aware of Paradox's stance.

Using these terms is considered racism, and so is against the Terms of Service and can result in infractions.

Knuc U Kinte fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Me.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

To my knowledge I currently own all but the free Yuletide DLC songs for mapgames since EU3 (I might be missing some stuff from HoI3 since I don't keep up to date on it too hard).

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I also, as you know, have day-1 purchased just about every expansion DLC.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

To my knowledge I currently own all but the free Yuletide DLC songs for mapgames since EU3 (I might be missing some stuff from HoI3 since I don't keep up to date on it too hard).

I own all the Ck2/Eu4 stuff, and Ill probably pick up the Vicky 2 stuff when I get into it.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I have CK2 but only played it for like a couple hours. Good game though.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Arumba is so inept at EU4 cf how good he is at CK2. He plays EU4 like he's been smoking crack.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Arumba is so inept at EU4 cf how good he is at CK2. He plays EU4 like he's been smoking crack.

i took a break from keeping up with him a few months ago but at the time i thought he was getting better pretty fast

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

he overestimates what he can accomplish and gets distracted from his goals pretty easily

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

i took a break from keeping up with him a few months ago but at the time i thought he was getting better pretty fast

I'm watching a vid from just before WoN dropped and he's playing castile trying to do oclonies and he keep smashing Aragon and trying to break up their PU with Naples lmfao.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was my Reformed Norse empire before I upgraded to Rajas, with the Bjorn Ironside start. Best mapgame campaign I've ever had.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Trigger warning for those borders. Yikes.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The golden rule of Map Gaming: Do not expand further if your borders look bad.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
there was a point when france was divided evenly between the Norse north and Umayyad Aquitaine. Those were some great wars. The Alpine emirate was all that survived, directly ruled by the caliph.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

zeal posted:

This was my Reformed Norse empire before I upgraded to Rajas, with the Bjorn Ironside start. Best mapgame campaign I've ever had.

Nice borders...Not.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Trigger warning for those borders. Yikes.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

All I have is CK2, but I enjoyed it a lot. Recommend me some more titles?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Widestancer posted:

All I have is CK2, but I enjoyed it a lot. Recommend me some more titles?

eu4 is really win

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i'm on a hansa game where i colonized the united states and central america and now i just formed germany and im pretty much top fucker on the world

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Europa Universalis 4 is the other easily accessible Map Game.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Europa Universalis 4 is the other easily accessible Map Game.

What are some of the harder to access ones and are they worth it?

We have a long running risk game at work in a back room where turns take place approximately whenever all involved have spare time. So far my Africa Strategy just isn't cutting it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Widestancer posted:

We have a long running risk game at work in a back room where turns take place approximately whenever all involved have spare time. So far my Africa Strategy just isn't cutting it.

Victoria 2. Yes.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's Hearts of Iron and tons of other crap, but I don't play them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

vicky 2 is good too but it crashes all the time on le mine desktop... when is paradox releasing 3????

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The golden rule of Map Gaming: Do not expand further if your borders look bad.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I will release an entire kingdom just to have some other country with a stupid looking borders. I can't take it.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Widestancer posted:

Darkest Hour is probably the best WW1+2 mapgame, but it has fairly micro-heavy mechanics

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Widestancer posted:

I've found Hearts of Iron to be the hardest to get into but I think it's because of my preference to learn something by just playing it rather than figuring out which things to just ignore in a game and the HoI series, especially 2's tech tree, can be overwhelming. I learned mapgames with CK1, then I learned Victoria 1, then I learned EU3 and I've yet to learn a Hearts of Iron game very well, which sucks since I want to do the Spanish Civil War campaign in it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

It's arguable but I would say, barring just asking a seasoned vet what the Way To Play It is (which I hate playing games if that's how you have to do it generally, especially single player ones) HoI has the most information you need to absorb up front and because of the span of time it covers it can often feel like there's not enough time to learn it or to justify sitting at the research screen even to read and decide which of the like 72 paths you could take when.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Not even getting into military composition and stuff.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Also HoI3 being extremely slow turned me off of it for a while. I had preordered the game and was epically excited to get into it and I fell asleep in my chair in 1936 with the game on max speed and woke up 5 hours later and the game had barely gotten into 1937 or something.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

dont call it map games you loving assholes ufck you

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also hoi3 is the loving worst go play darkest hour instead

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well I know HoI2 is the best one.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

zeal posted:

No no no

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

mapgame is the stupidest and most loving broad rear end thing ive ever loving heard

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

mapgame is the stupidest and most loving broad rear end thing ive ever loving heard

You've got a better name for Games where you play on a giant Map of the earth?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

actually you play a role in most games

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

suck my cock, friend of the family!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Your a child. People only refer to this genre in the context of Paradox-style games anyway. Get a grip dude. Oh boo hoo, if we can call it gay Marriage you might as well get married to a wolf. You sound like a moron. Grow up.