Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

why dont you just call it marriage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

why dont you just call it marriage

Why don't You accept how the mapgaming community has deemed appropriate to affectionately refer to their genre. If your talking to someone who says the word "mapgame" you don't need to call it a Historical Grand Strategy game. Simple as that.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
my category for them in steam is "Map" so its official to me

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

my category for them in steam is "Map" so its official to me

Same here but MAP.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

the only map game i have played is CK2 but its really fun. i want to play a game like ck2 but based on a completely fictional setting.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

the only map game i have played is CK2 but its really fun. i want to play a game like ck2 but based on a completely fictional setting.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

if schools were still cool they would have ck2 installed on computers like 90s kids had oregon trail

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Famous TV Dad posted:

there are mods for that, you idiot

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

elf help book posted:

if schools were still cool they would have ck2 installed on computers like 90s kids had oregon trail

Yea.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
CK2 is freaking sweet.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I prefer the other series in a lot of ways to CK, but CK is still drat epic, and easier to get settled into for a long haul.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

i didnt know the game even supported mods dude -_-

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

i didnt know the game even supported mods dude -_-

How do you miss the gigantic banner that says Steam Workshop.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I bought CK2 like 2 years ago and played some of the tutorial and didn't touch it again until a few months ago. I skipped the tutorial and ended up playing 60 hours in one week

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I bought CK2 like 2 years ago and played some of the tutorial and didn't touch it again until a few months ago. I skipped the tutorial and ended up playing 60 hours in one week

epic.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The first rule of mapgames is don't play the tutorial although the HoI3 one is kinda funny.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i wish paradox did a cold war game

mainly because i cant get balance of power to run on my comp and the ui is poo poo

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

my first game of ck2 i watched some youtube of a guy trying to teach the game and had my best start in castille ever but since i had no idea what i was doing i was hosed when my character died

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I learned CK1 from a guy who pronounced demesne "Demizen" which whatever but I always remember aki calling him a birdbrained retard for it or something.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I pronounce it demense in my head even though I looked it up after playing Ck1.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wormskull posted:

The first rule of mapgames is don't play the tutorial although the HoI3 one is kinda funny.

Playing as adolf Hitler ftw

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ck2 is good. i'm trying to figure out eu4 but haven't had much time to dive into it so i don't really get what i'm doing yet. the whole trade system seems weird

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I always try to play as an African nation, which makes Vicky 2 hard but CK2 and EU4 really easy, fast tracking to westernization as Mali in CK2 and having free reign to colonize basically all of Africa and Mexico+South America is pretty cool.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Mario is Missing was my favorite map game.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

The EU4 tutorial is pretty deec iirc.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Tutorials are for people with poor gamer's instinct.

Mobzy
Mar 22, 2010

which mapgame is noob-friendly? i own ck2, eu3 and 4

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Mobzy posted:

CK2 is the easiest to get into I would say, but EU4 is really fun.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mobzy posted:

Ck2 is more fun for roleplaying etc, but I think that EU4 is probably more straightforward.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Do I need any other DLC for EU4 other than Conquest of Paradise? I think the only other one is like, a $20 expansion pack all about the Netherlands so it might not be worth it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

Do I need any other DLC for EU4 other than Conquest of Paradise? I think the only other one is like, a $20 expansion pack all about the Netherlands so it might not be worth it.

CoP is probably the most worthless DLC unless you wanna play native americans...WoN is the other good one with changes to trade.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
EU4 is pretty generic and does a nice job of teaching you mapgame basics but IMO isn't as fun or varied as CK2 or Vic2 in the long run.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

if you are new dont worry about dlc also it goes on sale pretty often at good discounts

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The EU4 tutorial is pretty deec iirc.
I think it's functional and completable, unlike the ck2 tutorial but it still leaves lots of stuff out

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just a couple days ago all the DLC was like 75-90% off.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
ck2 and vicky2 fukken own

eu4 i find boring as hell, there's not much to do apart from moving your mans around the map and fiddling with the trade nodes. sometimes you also build a thing i guess

whats the latest word on elder kings? is playing as the motherfucking undead draugr king viable yet? i think skellingtons were a playable race last i checked

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

ck2 and vicky2 fukken own

eu4 i find boring as hell, there's not much to do apart from moving your mans around the map and fiddling with the trade nodes. sometimes you also build a thing i guess

whats the latest word on elder kings? is playing as the motherfucking undead draugr king viable yet? i think skellingtons were a playable race last i checked

Who the hell would care about that.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Any Map Gamers here?

You know it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Awesome! posted:

I think it's functional and completable, unlike the ck2 tutorial but it still leaves lots of stuff out

Apparently part of the Charlemagne patch (next week?) is gonna be a tutorial campaign