Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Take Russia for the Tatar !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Novgorod russia is actually easier overall due to the plutocracy idea group.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

anime gently caress pillow posted:

probably but at the start you have to fend off muscovy and their vassals and muscovy is a "lucky" nation...

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I always forget to turn lucky nations off. Horseshit modifier for people who get mad when things deviate from history.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

I always forget to turn lucky nations off. Horseshit modifier for people who get mad when things deviate from history.

i always play ironman

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm doing a Songhai game in EU4 and it is going fantastically. I westernized in the 1550s and am now racing to get colonies in Uruguay and Brazil while waiting for my tech to catch up to everyone else. I'm only like, 4 levels behind so I'm sure it'll be done soon. In the 1600s I guess I'll try to get stuff in India and South East Asia. It would be great if anyone knew a good way to increase your prestige, I went from like, the 16th ranked nation before westernization to the 36th because of all the prestige hits and dynasty changes I went through.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

It's easier in the beginning too now that Poland usually wants to ally you fairly soon.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Wormskull posted:

Take Russia for the Tatar !

They should form Tatarstan instead of Russia.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

playing as someone like russia or turks or whoever would be way too easy without luck on at least random. for really big guys like russia i would keep it on historical

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Pewdiepie posted:

They should form Tatarstan instead of Russia.

that would be cool

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
Tatars delivery

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Stink fag posted:

Tatars delivery

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Vicky 2 is fun for those of you looking into trying it, but be aware its pretty tough to get to Great Power status if you aren't one of the big 16 even if you know what you're doing. The trade system is inane as well.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love EU3, EU4 and CK2, but I really couldn't get into V2. As you said it seems like there aren't a great deal of viable nations to play as and I've found that the AI moreso than any other Paradox game is really aggressive and will go out of its way to intervene in your wars and gently caress with you if it seems like you're challenging their power. Which is realistic, but it makes for a boring game where it's difficult to expand. I tried so many times to get a Sardinia-Piedmont game going but invariably no matter how much I buddied up to them France would end up invading me, or the Ottomans would intervene if I tried to expand anywhere in North Africa. Maybe I'm just bad at it.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Yolomancer posted:

I love EU3, EU4 and CK2, but I really couldn't get into V2. As you said it seems like there aren't a great deal of viable nations to play as and I've found that the AI moreso than any other Paradox game is really aggressive and will go out of its way to intervene in your wars and gently caress with you if it seems like you're challenging their power. Which is realistic, but it makes for a boring game where it's difficult to expand. I tried so many times to get a Sardinia-Piedmont game going but invariably no matter how much I buddied up to them France would end up invading me, or the Ottomans would intervene if I tried to expand anywhere in North Africa. Maybe I'm just bad at it.

you should be able to beat the ottomans pretty easily if you're researching military stuff at all. and yeah you need to stay friendly with france (+50 i think is the threshold to prevent CBs creation?) and make sure you arent fighting things that a great power has Friendly with unless you have a bigger military than them. Generally if you want the freedom to go wild you want to keep your military score higher than everyone else. If you have a big enough military people probably won't even fight you if you you go over infamy unless you're their neighbors.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

S-P has a pretty railroaded path to becoming Italy. Either work with France / Prussia to beat up the Habsburgs or just wait for the Red Shirts to give you everything but Lombardy / Venice for free

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Je Maintiendrai is actually pretty hard. The only way to survive is to be super nasty but you rack up AE in the HRE so much it's freakign annoying!!!!

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*makes the retarded Austria face* Durrr, hey rando little 3 province minorplease stop beating up Burgundy and getting all out imperial provinces back because I'm too fat and gay to do it myself!!!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i loled

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.
"Korean Africa"

ho fan
Oct 6, 2014

best corea

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Charlemagne Patch and DLC features list

DLC:
- New 769 Bookmark
- The Chronicle
- Custom Kingdoms and Empires
- Viceroys
- Events & Decisions supporting the early start date
- Various Story and Flavour events

Patch:
- Regency Overhaul
- Seasonal Effects
- Vassal Limit
- Tribes
- Elective Gavelkind

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

Charlemagne Patch and DLC features list

DLC:
- New 769 Bookmark
- The Chronicle
- Custom Kingdoms and Empires
- Viceroys
- Events & Decisions supporting the early start date
- Various Story and Flavour events

Patch:
- Regency Overhaul
- Seasonal Effects
- Vassal Limit
- Tribes
- Elective Gavelkind

Have they said what elective gavelkind is.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
I bet it's just you elect your actual heir rather than primo but still get your titles gavelkinded when you die

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

What's Tribes do.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I'm buying the DLC probably day one but I don't ever really know anything about them at first.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

They should just let you parcel out your property in a will before you die instead of the random retard poo poo they do now.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Have they said what elective gavelkind is.

I don't think it was in a Dev Diary Here's what some guy said after going to the fan gathering where it was announced. Pretty vague.

From what I can tell, elective gavelkind is much like what it sounds: it's a cross between tanistry and gavelkind. The new ruler must be selected from your dynasty, but I believe that other dynasty members will also get titles, as gavelkind suggests. In addition, upon succession, some vassals may be given the option to become independent, no war involved, much like the decadence mechanics are supposed to work.

The exact nature of this hasn't been settled on yet, since they're still testing it out, but it may be based on the power of the vassal relative to liege, the opinion of the vassal, or perhaps even a choice that everyone is given regardless, and then acted on appropriately. In any case, this serves to make early empires more likely to break apart, and perhaps constantly try and put themselves back together, in a way that current succession laws don't.
My only hesitation with this is that it will probably still be too easy to get a big mid-late game empire going. Once elective gavelkind is gone, I'm not sure what will be used to try and break apart large empires that have formed under primogeniture, or even normal elective. So, while this should solve the early Karling problem, I don't think it will do anything for the HRE, or for later game blobs. We shall see however: blobbing is clearly something in the forefront of the minds at Paradox, so hopefully this will also be settled.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They should just let you parcel out your property in a will before you die instead of the random retard poo poo they do now.

yeah the way it normally worked in real life is if you could afford it your first 2-3 sons would get some land and the others would just get some cash or horses and armor and told to go do their thing

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

yeah the way it normally worked in real life is if you could afford it your first 2-3 sons would get some land and the others would just get some cash or horses and armor and told to go do their thing

I hope this was after the day's worth of weed at least per week.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

What's Tribes do.

Instead of holdings they just have a single Tribe holding in each province that you upgrade with prestige (the buildings get deleted at ruler death). The money from the holding is based on how many holdings you could potentially build in the province.

Your vassals are treated more like allies (pay no money) but they give way more troops IF they agree to actually give you troops during a war. They also get mad if you don't raid and you need to raid to get prestige so you get the idea.

I believe that at ruler death there's a chance vassals may declare independence as well with you getting claims (similar to losing a decadence revolt) but I think they said this may also be how all countries work at the lowest level of centralization? I actually haven't seen that mentioned other than the original stream so maybe not anymore.

Apparently Ireland in the new start (and the Picts) will be tribal to represent the High King thing

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Wormskull posted:

I hope this was after the day's worth of weed at least per week.

lol

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

DICKHEAD posted:

Apparently Ireland in the new start (and the Picts) will be tribal to represent the High King thing

Win.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

DICKHEAD posted:

I don;t even care about all of your sons getting stuff but...I hate not having control over who gets what, especially if it's gonna mess with ducal borders.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't have the temperament to play as the culture types and stuff that expect you to do war all the time which like I said I wish I could play as Crimea in EU4 but it's a conflict. I guess I just need to let loose. I had trouble playing as the Muslims as well, for that reason, even though I thought it would be epic to start as the Muzzy palermo count and take over italy eventually.

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don;t even care about all of your sons getting stuff but...I hate not having control over who gets what, especially if it's gonna mess with ducal borders.

well i mean they picked who got what other than the main title

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I guess I'll have to play as Charlemagne to get to experience the epic story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OkieMurse
Nov 2, 2011

I get paid to stab people with sharp objects.

DICKHEAD posted:

This is going to be my first game the day the DLC comes out.