Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

howe_sam posted:

Never gets old :allears: Tenth anniversary is coming up!

When did this happen, the 2004 playoffs were cancelled partway through, no? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lagcats
Oct 7, 2014

you know the deal
Baltimore Orioles to win and advance to World Series!

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Craptacular! posted:

Pence plays Hearthstone and Diablo 3. Though during vanilla Diablo, he preferred Path of Exile because D3 launched without PKs. Apparently he likes PVP.

source of evil divining rod practically jumping out of my hands

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Grant Brisbee is a goon and so is Jon "comedy gold" Stewart

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
I think the O's could sweep the Royals and go up 3-0 in the World Series and Fangraphs would still be really down on them

http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Strange; Playoff Status is almost as biased in favor of the Orioles - and appears to provide the (limited) stats to back it up, whereas Fangraphs is pretty much impenetrable. Maybe it's a narrative thing - you can lead a dude to stats but you can't make him think.

Sports Club Stats would be neat if they did post-season stuff. If.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's supposed to rain all day friday in Baltimore. How does that uh, work in the ALCS? Just everything is pushed back including the travel day or do they play a day game on Sunday and travel same day to KC?

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Asema posted:

It's supposed to rain all day friday in Baltimore. How does that uh, work in the ALCS? Just everything is pushed back including the travel day or do they play a day game on Sunday and travel same day to KC?

Also interested in the answer to this since I'm planning on making a futile effort to purchase a ticket to Game 2 when tickets go on sale to the public today

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Also interested in the answer to this since I'm planning on making a futile effort to purchase a ticket to Game 2 when tickets go on sale to the public today

"Game 1 would become Saturday's game if Friday is postponed.

According to the Orioles, should game 1 be rained out tomorrow night, HOME GAME 1 ticket holders would then be admitted to SATURDAY'S game, as that would now serve as "Home Game 1."

Though unofficial, the prevailing prediction is that Game 2 would then take place on Sunday at 4-5 PM, eliminating the travel day, forcing the Orioles and Royals to play on five consecutive days."

(from the O's Hangout board)

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
Is the instructional league just an all-year kinda thing?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Super Jay Mann posted:

When did this happen, the 2004 playoffs were cancelled partway through, no? :confused:

Can I make a confession? I didn't see that play live. Nor did I see either of Papi's walk-offs. Couldn't handle the stress. Did watch games 6&7 from start to finish, with my dad. It was cathartic.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

the popes toes posted:

"Game 1 would become Saturday's game if Friday is postponed.

According to the Orioles, should game 1 be rained out tomorrow night, HOME GAME 1 ticket holders would then be admitted to SATURDAY'S game, as that would now serve as "Home Game 1."

Though unofficial, the prevailing prediction is that Game 2 would then take place on Sunday at 4-5 PM, eliminating the travel day, forcing the Orioles and Royals to play on five consecutive days."

(from the O's Hangout board)

Ugh. I can't do Sunday if it gets pushed back. Thanks for nothing, weather.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

So what you're saying is there might be tickets available?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

On the otherhand I could go to a Sunday game :getin:

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Schweinhund posted:

Denard Span
Anthony Rendon
Jayson Werth
Adam LaRoche
Ian Desmond
Bryce Harper

It's not all that crazy. He's been worse than most of those other hitters this year. And Desmond has been pretty hot in the second half.

It kind of depresses me to think that the Nats would have scored runs if Rendon and Harper weren't so far from each other in the lineup, but Bryce didn't do a whole lot during the regular season to warrant hitting earlier in the lineup. I wouldn't be terribly shocked if he moves up in the lineup next year if Adam LaRoche is gone.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

FairGame posted:

AJP is an rear end in a top hat, wow.

That's awesome though.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Asema posted:

On the otherhand I could go to a Sunday game :getin:

Tried to PM you but you either can't receive them or have them disabled

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Talking mad poo poo over a series that you didn't play in a single bit is pretty funny.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Strange; Playoff Status is almost as biased in favor of the Orioles - and appears to provide the (limited) stats to back it up, whereas Fangraphs is pretty much impenetrable.

I think Fangraphs' odds are based on their projections going forward, not on the actual stats.

To summarize:
  • Fangraphs thinks the Orioles' starting rotation is the worst in MLB, while the Royals' is above average
  • Fangraphs thinks the two outfields are of similar quality with the bat, but the Royals are ridiculous defensively.
  • Fangraphs thinks Mike Moustakas is really good. I have no explanation for this
  • They do not take Nelson Cruz Playoff Bullshit into account

In conclusion, Dave Cameron is bad.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Alan Trammell posted:

• They do not take Nelson Cruz Playoff Bullshit into account

Did you mean Delmon Young here? I'm not sure Nelson Cruz can have Playoff Bullshit considering he's actually good in the regular season too.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Did you mean Delmon Young here? I'm not sure Nelson Cruz can have Playoff Bullshit considering he's actually good in the regular season too.

Nelson Cruz's slugging percentage in the playoffs is higher than Babe Ruth's was in his career

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tried to PM you but you either can't receive them or have them disabled

I don't have whatever is required to have PM's sorry :smith:

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the waiting room thing that the mlb uses is really bad and clunky and I hate it.

edit; every single O's ticket sold out in 5 minutes whelp :coffeepal:

Asema fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Oct 9, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dingleberry Jones posted:

Is the instructional league just an all-year kinda thing?
No, it's typically in Sept/Oct after the end of the minor league season. Not all teams hold one either. I know the Tigers opted not to hold one this year.

I believe there may be an instructional league that plays informally at ST camps until short season ball starts in late June, but I don't know much about that. I've been to plenty of fall instructional league games though.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Asema posted:

the waiting room thing that the mlb uses is really bad and clunky and I hate it.

edit; every single O's ticket sold out in 5 minutes whelp :coffeepal:

I got in around 12:02, but everything seemed to be sold out already.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A day before the ALCS the Orioles and Hardy talked out a contract that both sides agreed on. Tweets are saying it'll be officially announced later today but Hardy should be an Oriole for 3 more years.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Asema posted:

A day before the ALCS the Orioles and Hardy talked out a contract that both sides agreed on. Tweets are saying it'll be officially announced later today but Hardy should be an Oriole for 3 more years.

That's kind of surprising, I was expecting New York to try and sweep him up what with their big hole at SS.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Artix posted:

That's kind of surprising, I was expecting New York to try and sweep him up what with their big hole at SS.

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/520256244003921923

3 years with an option (don't know if it's player or team) "north of 40 mil"

Does that mean Hanley is going to be a Yankee?

edit; After Hardy, Markakis/Cruz seem to be the next two being talked about for extensions.

Asema fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 9, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Asema posted:

edit; After Hardy, Markakis/Cruz seem to be the next two being talked about for extensions.

Cruz seems like the kind of guy you don't want to give an extension to. He's entering his age 34 season, already can't play defense at all, and pretty much only hits for power.

Also, the Jhonny Peralta deal loving owns and I love it more every day.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

FairGame posted:

Cruz seems like the kind of guy you don't want to give an extension to. He's entering his age 34 season, already can't play defense at all, and pretty much only hits for power.

Also, the Jhonny Peralta deal loving owns and I love it more every day.

It's funny how many teams passed on Cruz this season, considering the big contract he was seeking. Then he settles for a one year contract with the Orioles and has a season I bet few people were expecting.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Bruce Bochy's a giant-headed genius, y'all.

I agree with a lot of this but there's also a lot of revisionism here. For instance, yes Bochy is doing the right thing by trusting rookie Joe Panik to fill the hole at 2B. However, we only got to this place after trying out the dessicated corpses of Brandon Hicks and Dan Uggla.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 9, 2014

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Asema posted:

I want the details; but I like Hardy so I'm okay with this.

Word is theyre actively working on Cruz too. Very curious where that goes.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

So does this mean there were enough current season ticket holders, people who reserved season tickets for next year, and people who reserved partial season tickets for next year that there were only enough tickets to last less than 5 minutes when they went on sale to the general public? Because that just seems absurd to me.

spanky69
Nov 5, 2004
I THINK sba HAS LOST HIS MIND. WOOOOOO DOGGIES PUPPIES KITTENS CRAP TURDS, love sba
Fun Shoe

So does this mean there were enough current season ticket holders, people who reserved season tickets for next year, and people who reserved partial season tickets for next year that there were only enough tickets to last less than 5 minutes when they went on sale to the general public? Because that just seems absurd to me.

Just wait until April and May in 2015 when you can get in on a Tuesday night for $4 when it is 43 degrees

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

spanky69 posted:

Just wait until April and May in 2015 when you can get in on a Tuesday night for $4 when it is 43 degrees

That'd be awesome if I wasn't living in DC with no car :gonk:

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Scalpers/brokers. The cheapest tickets on Stubhub are ~$140 for standing room.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

While you guys are talking about buying playoff tickets, I'm over here patiently waiting for my refund :smith:

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

angrygodofjebus posted:

Scalpers/brokers. The cheapest tickets on Stubhub are ~$140 for standing room.

So are scalpers buying season tickets then? Sorry, I have no idea how scalpers work under these situations.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Cardinal sportswriting is very parody friendly

quote:

Against a perfect twilight sky, Indian summer shifting to brilliant autumn, the Gateway Arch joined the 46,906 Busch Stadium faithful who bore witness to another perfect moment of baseball history. Pure Americana distilled into one barrel-chested frame, Matt Adams launched a curveball from that would-be conquerer, Clayton Kershaw, deep into the night, etching himself into the history books — and hearts — of the proudest tradition in baseball: Cardinals October memories. As his wide frame skipped and bounced, he embodied the glee that all of us felt in our hearts. The Cardinals, once again, are back where they belong: challenging for a pennant, healing all of us who have been injured this tumultuous summer. Giving a nation hope, once again. Hope that the good guys can win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Healing all of us who have been injured this tumultuous summer

Giving a nation hope

• Locked thread