Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

After 21 hours of refreshing and error messages I finally got through and got nosebleeds to game 7 of the ALCS. $60 face value, $70 each after fees, but tickets in the same section are going for $400+ on stubhub so definitely a steal.

e: I need sleep

Xerol fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Ugh. I can't do Sunday if it gets pushed back. Thanks for nothing, weather.

So what you're saying is there might be tickets available?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

For the O's, postseason tickets are not included with season tickets. Instead you get the -opportunity- to buy ahead of the public sale; that advance sale was on Tuesday and was mostly sold out within 2 hours, with everyone else stuck behind a queue of error messages (I finally got through and snagged some upper deck game 7 tickets after 21 hours).

Presumably a good portion of them were all reserved in advance for corporate partners, players & families, and promotions, and I think a certain percentage was reserved for the public sale before any went on sale as well. Here's the problems with the season ticket holder presale: 1) There's more holders than seats, due to 13 and 29 game plans; 2) There's more holders than seats, because it included 2014 holders as well as people who put down 2015 deposits; 3) A 13-game deposit for 2015 was $250 and the markup on most stubhub seats is a lot more than that, so even if the scalpers didn't go ahead and get 2015 season tickets as well (which they probably are doing) they'll come out ahead.

Also there's just such a huge disparity between supply and demand. With any luck maybe the same thing will happen with Friday's/Saturday's games as did with the ALDS - people who can't make it start dumping tickets by the bucketload an hour before gametime and end up below face value on stubhub. If I had any kind of smart device I would've ordered tickets from the train.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

I still think that maybe not a SABRmetric themed broadcast but at the very least a stat themed broadcast for fantasy baseball or even the layman could be done, but these visuals I think need to be handled better, so I thought it over and came up with a crude redesign, granted it would still need a lot of work, but it might be better than the current one:

In this setup, in order to save screen space the second camera angle has been eliminated altogether, in its place is an enlarged view of the main camera angle. Alternatively, going along the idea that this broadcast would be done as an alternative video feed done on something as FS1, MLBN, or MLB.tv, this main viewspace of the game could be used to show camera angles different from the one on the default broadcast.

In addition, taking a note from the regular broadcasting on MLBN, FS1, and elsewhere, a medium sized sidebar has been added to the left side of the screen. In this mockup it's being used to explain x-fip but it could also be used for either stats or other information pertinent to the game.

Finally, at the bottom of the main viewpoint is brief information about the batter and pitcher. I put the normal information one would find on the scoreboard at any normal ballpark, but these could be used to give any information or data about either player. This is the area that would probably need the most work, as space is an issue.

But as to whether or not a stats themed broadcast is a good idea, I would have to say no for television. Maybe on something like MLB.tv but you're only shooting yourself in the foot by splitting up your broadcasts between two different channels.

The one thing I've noticed missing about every broadcast ever that's on every ballpark scoreboard is the upcoming lineups for both teams, and I think that's something that could have great value on a broadcast like this, especially in the postseason with matchups and the relatively high frequency of substitution. While Buck's been pretty consistent with the O's lineup, I don't really know any of the other teams' well enough to know in advance who's coming up next and it might get a passing mention from the commentators but if you're going to devote screen space to showing information then that's a pretty good piece of information to put up. If you wanted to delve into win probabilities and stuff like that you could pull up the upcoming batters vs. the current pitcher and the pitcher warming up in the bullpen. I know we all like to backseat manage around here but it would be great to just have that information up on screen to have something to back up the "pulling McPitcher at this point was a good/bad decision" discussions.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

The_Hat posted:

How about this, then

Well that didn't take long.

----

N: :(
V: Hope the Royals keep sweeping.

• Locked thread