Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

the popes toes posted:

Let's get this relative payroll thing out of the way.

Giants $149,089,475

Cardinals $111,250,000

Orioles $107,466,653

Royals $92,185,521

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys players. A Royals 149MM payroll is an absurd thought to entertain, as is a Giants 92MM payroll. But the Orioles and Cards are much closer than I imagined.

I think it probably makes more sense to use end-of-year payrolls, since richer teams can are willing to afford to take on bigger salaries mid-season, in which case the numbers are:

Giants $166.6M
Cardinals $141.7M
Orioles $114.3M
Royals $102.2M

e: (Numbers from B-Ref)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

FairGame posted:

Wait, what the gently caress? How did the Cards increase in payroll by 30 million over the course of the season? The only players they acquired were George Kottaras (league minimum), AJP (league minimum; rest covered by BoSox), John Lackey, and Justin Masterson (Indians covered some of his salary too, I believe.)

I'm not saying the $141 number isn't right, but one of the two numbers is definitely wrong.

e: yeah, it just added on the full 2014 salaries for AJP, Lackey, and Masterson. So instead of adding 30 million, you should add, like...maybe 5, tops.

Teams also add several million over the season just from waiver claims and purchasing minor league contracts due to injury/ineffectiveness/rookie debuts and those kinds of trivial moves, as well. But I'll have to quit referring to B-R if it's completely misreporting Pierzynski's salary.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

New Concept Hole posted:

So the difference between the top and the bottom is 5%?

If I'm doing the arithmetic right, the average game in 2014 included about 156 called balls/strikes [704,947 total pitches in 2014 / (162 games x 30 teams / 2) x 54% not swung at], so we'd be talking about a difference of 7-8 calls a game if that data were accurate.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

DeltaAttack2go posted:

I'd love these guys doing a podcast together, tbh. But between the split screen of 5 dudes in lawn chairs and the near complete lack of awareness of the game at hand, meh.

I think that setting up a dedicated Sabermetrics Broadcast in opposition to the Traditional Broadcast is really a road to disaster. There's already a huge hurdle to clear just for using new stats and ideas in a broadcast, in that you have to then take time to explain them to fans (which then ironically makes the people who are clamoring for the broadcast feel like it's "dumbed down"). Further, with an issue that has been the source of some controversy, there's always going to be an impulse to justify using different stats (I saw a tweet about someone saying "the stat tells a story!"). Doing it as an oppositional thing is always going to push the new broadcast to hyper-focus on what sets it apart, and so you end up with...well, this.

And that's not even going into the bizarre design and production.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Spoeank posted:

An advanced stats broadcast is doomed to failure because advanced stats need a bit of study and that doesn't lend itself to a traditional broadcast setting.

You don't need a lengthy explanation of xFIP to say things like "well Jim, Tom McPitcher has been allowing a lot of fly balls this season but they haven't been making their way over the fences. This game very well may hinge on whether he can continue to keep them in the park." That seems like a huge improvement to me over "Keys To The Game: Get Runs Early; Keep Loose; Pitching?????". Similarly, I don't think it would be tough at all to work in stuff like "well, a hit from this next batter could improve the Baseballmen's odds of winning by over 5%, so I'm a little surprised not to see the Bird Sox go to the bullpen here."

I don't know about anyone else, but generally there are at least a few times during any given game that I pull up Fangraphs or whatever to check out something that interests me. Done well, a sabermetrically-inclined broadcast is going to be like your bud who already wondered the same thing and found the info before you had to look. Done poorly, it's 100 twitter notifications popping up over the game while some dude writes you a dissertation on BABIP.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Ryan Vogelsong can make the Hall of Fame if and only if a white flag is displayed prominently nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
If anything, you should be rooting for the Royals' stupid ideas to pay off so that all the bad GMs in baseball will go "see, I was right all along!" and do really dumb and funny poo poo to try to imitate them.

• Locked thread