Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.

TenaciousJ posted:

Rendon needs some credit too. If he and Bryce were near each other in the line up, some more runs would have scored.

The Nationals beat themselves last night. San Francisco would not have taken the lead IMO if Gio hadn't walked in a run or Barrett hadn't thrown wildly. I'm not sure LaRoche is going to be around next season with his post-All Star Game performance and hopefully Ryan Zimmerman takes his spot at first if he can stay healthy. They desperately need more consistent offense.

I slept on it and I can't be too mad at the Giants at this point. What's the story people were talking about in the GDT of why Vogelsong is actually a cool dude?

Dude was drafted by the Giants in 2000. He had TJS in 2002. He was one of the worst pitchers in the league all during this time. Goes to Japan to around 2005 I want to say. Isn't very good. Goes to winter ball. Somehow learns the secret art of pitching well there and get pick up and bounced around in minors in a couple team in 2009-2010, before getting signed to the minors for the Giants in 2011. Gets called and becomes the best pitcher on (really loving good) staff. Makes the All-Star Game. Continues being good in 2012, should have been an All-Stat again, becomes the Giants ace in the postseason.

Then he sucks in 2013 and breaks his hand. Barely gets resigned (for less than his club option was), comes back as pretty average. Rocks in the post at least one more time.

Dude's been through a lot, he's well traveled you might say.

Ambassador of Funk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Intruder posted:

The first Hunter class or the first person named Hunter? :v:

:thejoke:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

In non-playoff new, Brian Wilson exercises his player option for $9.5 million.

V: Not surprising, but still something the rest of can laugh about. Or moan about because they have to see Brian Wilson play baseball for another year.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I might have missed people talking about this yesterday but here's the most over-zealous quote about speed I can imagine:

He's talking about Terrance Gore.

Why would you ever have Barry Bonds on the bench?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Akbar posted:

Also that the dude and his family loving love the Giants and SF and are super appreciative of this second chance he's gotten. He's told stories about how LA offered him a minor league contract in the 2011 offseason and he rejected it even though it was then his only option of a job. That goes a long way for dumb fans like me.

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Ryan-Vogelsong-s-long-strange-trip-to-SF-Giants-2368848.php

Oh yeah, Vogelsong is one of the Giantest Giants to ever play for them. I didn't include that part though because I figured it wouldn't matter as much to a non-Giants fan. But hey I've made terrible assumes before.

In my (junk) opinion he deserves a statue at AT&T whenever he retires. He won't get one for obvious reasons.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Akbar posted:

I didn't even know this until Grant Brisbee posted it on twitter but evidently AJ Pierzynski's on the Cardinals.

St. Louis must burn.

e: just found this gif. gently caress yeah Will Clark.

How...how...did you not know that?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Monicro posted:

Not knowing about a team you (presumably) dont follow picking up a well-past-his-prime backup catcher isnt really that crazy

Yeah he posts here, and we were all talking about it when they picked him up because it was another reason to hate the Cardinals. I would have thought he would have picked it up indirectly from us at least at this point.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

You're off by a few years, and Japan Vogelsong was alright. He hated the DH and pitched closer to Giants Vogelsong (or the properly regressed median, anyway) than Pirates Vogelsong.

Also, he left Pittsburgh recently enough that there are still archives on Bucs Dugout complaining about him, and their archives don't go back as far as many SBN sites.

You're right, he's goes over in 2007-2008ish. I was doing that from memory, hence the qualifying statements on dates.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

A gay kiss. Epic ownage

I think it's more for "The Best Fans in Baseball" outrage it would produce.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

My dad got a hold of tickets to game 5. Redbirds, do me a solid and show up for precisely 1 game this series.

Bumgarner gonna throw to third just for your dad BearDrivingTruck.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Bumgarner gonna throw to third just for you BearDrivingTruck.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Wait, why 3rd?

Game 3 outcome joke :v:

Apparently it was not very good.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

You're a cool dude Some Number.

You should root for the Giants because you only have to see them in the post every other year rather than every year :v:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Rand alPaul posted:

Yeah about 3/4 of their tweets referenced Joe Buck going down on Kershaw, Magic Johnson having AIDS and giving it to players, and the bubble machine being gay.

Yeah those guys spend a lot of time being concerned with who's doing what stuff to whose butt.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

alpha_destroy posted:

Ahhhh! Fogle I thought you gave up being a goon years ago!

Edit: I just want to state, the two guys Royals goons tried to get INSPECTAH DECK to watch went 5-7 with 2 BB, 1 HBP, a HR, 2 2B, 4 RBI, and contributed some great defense. The KC outfield is pretty good.

But what are their chances of making the HoF?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Danny Glands posted:

Peavey has no place in the postseason.

That's Peavy :colbert:

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Well BearDrivingTruck, looks like you get your wish.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

If the Royals complete the sweep tomorrow, I'm a bit worried that all the time off waiting for the NLCS to finish might cool them down, a la the 2007 Rockies.

Yeah the WS record for team that sweep the ALCS is not good.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

OctoberBlues posted:

Everyone said the same thing after they swept the Angels though. They had 4 days off then and would have 5 off before the World Series if they complete the sweep tomorrow. I'm inclined to believe there probably isn't much to that.

Both teams had about the same amount days of rest for this series though. That wouldn't be the case for the WS though.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

As long as Ryan "The Postseason Hero We Deserve" Vogelsong gets in I'm cool with all these shenanigans.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Mornacale posted:

Ryan Vogelsong can make the Hall of Fame if and only if a white flag is displayed prominently nearby.

Haha, I am extremely ok with this.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

We came for :bunt:s and they delievered :bunt:s

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Malaclypse posted:

N: The Giants have been out homer'd 6-1 in this series

V: https://www.google.com/search?q=gro...iw=1280&bih=667

You mean 6-0 right?

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Yeah they haven't hit a homer since Belt hit one in the 18th.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

N: Blanco totoally was trolling Choate by showing bunt.

"I was just trying to get in his head, because yesterday I bunt and it made all the things happen."

V: Blanco, I know I yell at you a lot, but you're the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Bob Ojeda posted:

He probably already is. Pretty sure every manager with 4 pennants is in the Hall.

He has 5 now :v:

Edit: yeah, yeah, I know his first one was as a player, but I couldn't resist.

Ambassador of Funk fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 17, 2014

• Locked thread