Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is a rad as hell Championship Series and while the Giants seem like a tough draw for the Cardinals, who the gently caress knows?

Hoping for I-70 Redux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Orioles murderized the Cardinals in 2 out of 3 games at Camden Yards, and they'd have home-field in a hypothetical matchup.

Of course, 1 of those 2 games was started by Justin Masterson.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I would love to see Yadier Molina vs. ALL THE STEALS, though.

e: Interesting, KC led all of MLB in steals and successful steal %.

But they were actually middle of the pack in the AL (which naturally should have fewer due to no pitchers batting) in bunting.

Ned Yost turned it up to 11 in October for some reason.

The Royals also struck out the least in their League by a long shot, as did the Cardinals.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 8, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

IcePhoenix posted:

Who was the guy on the Red Sox in 2004 that everyone knew was going to steal second and still went like 7/8 when used as a pinch runner?

Guys like that might not be super valuable in a 162 game season but in a best of 7 series where small sample size rules all their value is immense. If it's a close game they can turn it around and if it's not then whoever you left off the roster to keep him wasn't going to change anything.

David Roberts?

People were talking about Billy Hamilton this way last season in September and in the postseason. Then the Reds got bounced in 1 game by Liriano.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mornacale posted:

I think it probably makes more sense to use end-of-year payrolls, since richer teams can are willing to afford to take on bigger salaries mid-season, in which case the numbers are:

Giants $166.6M
Cardinals $141.7M
Orioles $114.3M
Royals $102.2M

e: (Numbers from B-Ref)

Wait, what the gently caress? How did the Cards increase in payroll by 30 million over the course of the season? The only players they acquired were George Kottaras (league minimum), AJP (league minimum; rest covered by BoSox), John Lackey, and Justin Masterson (Indians covered some of his salary too, I believe.)

I'm not saying the $141 number isn't right, but one of the two numbers is definitely wrong.

e: yeah, it just added on the full 2014 salaries for AJP, Lackey, and Masterson. So instead of adding 30 million, you should add, like...maybe 5, tops.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 9, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

He's not even on the playoff roster! (He should be, but given that backup catcher is like the least consequential roster spot in a playoff series, who gives a poo poo)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

angrygodofjebus posted:

I dunno, he might be better as a cheerleader after this and that.

Is he shouting gently caress you, motherfuckers at the dodger dugout?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

angrygodofjebus posted:

I think it was at the pitcher, but yes

AJP is an rear end in a top hat, wow.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Asema posted:

https://twitter.com/masnRoch/status/520256244003921923

3 years with an option (don't know if it's player or team) "north of 40 mil"

Does that mean Hanley is going to be a Yankee?

edit; After Hardy, Markakis/Cruz seem to be the next two being talked about for extensions.

Cruz seems like the kind of guy you don't want to give an extension to. He's entering his age 34 season, already can't play defense at all, and pretty much only hits for power.

Also, the Jhonny Peralta deal loving owns and I love it more every day.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

That'd be awesome if I wasn't living in DC with no car :gonk:

If the WS ends up Cards/Os I will probably break my "Don't go to postseason games and root for the road teams" rule since I have enough Os fans friends that we'd all be cool with one another and drink beers and stuff.

If this happens, I will PM you; there's always room for 1 more.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Storm posted:

Yes but in what hilarious fashion? 6,7,8 Giants hitters hitting 2 dingers every game? 4 errors on the CF in one game? How??

Ssory Wei-Yin

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

At what point does Chris Davis' suspension end? It's theoretically during the optional games of the ALCS, no? Is he worth rostering?

e: nevermind, apparently Buck made this decision about an hour ago. He's not eligible until Game 6 (or Game 1 or 2 of the WS depending on how many games the team plays), and so he won't go on the roster until maybe next round.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

New Concept Hole posted:

So the difference between the top and the bottom is 5%?

Yeah, it's pretty tight. On the other hand, given that we're at about 83% at the lowest, we probably should think about it in terms of "For every 2 fuckups a good umpire makes, a bad umpire makes 3." Which seems like a pretty major difference.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Explosionface posted:

I think it was more just men wore suits all the time, so the ballgame was no different.

and hats

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This movie was terrible, but terrible in the entertaining "Mortal Kombat" way, and not in the actually terrible "Mortal Kombat 2: Annihiliation" way. I would never say it's good, but I thought it was well worth the $12 and 90 minutes of my time.

Apparently Dracula: Untold is the initial foray into a series of Avengers-esque movies, only using public domain heroes/legends/whatever.

With that in mind, it makes sense that there's no attempt to tie Dracula back to any of Bram Stoker's source material. Really, the only thing that Dracula: Untold uses is this: there's a vampire, and he calls himself Dracula. And he doesn't even do that until the end of the movie.

Dracula: Untold doesn't take itself too seriously--it knows it's an action movie, and any dramatic moments are done sort of in the 300 way--just poo poo to set up the next action set piece.

The backstory gets out of the way pretty quickly. The Turks are a monstrously powerful empire and demand tribute from outlying territories. That includes Transylvania, where a young Prince Vlad is taken as a royal hostage as a small boy. The Turkish army conscripts young boys and turns them into 300-esque soulless fighting machines.

Vlad becomes the strongest of these guys, earning the nickname "Vlad the Impaler" and eventually retires from the army and goes back to be Prince of Transylvania. I'm not sure where the King was the whole time or why Vlad doesn't become King. That's not explained. There's an old man in the movie that's kind of a dick to Vlad a lot; maybe that's his dad. But he's never referred to as such.

Anyway, Vlad eventually marries and has an adorable little child who looks like (and actually may be) Rickon Walnutsbane from Game of Thrones. Everything is going swimmingly until he and his soldiers are on patrol and discover a spooky cave full of bats and crushed bone, and Vlad is the only survivor as a monster in the cave immediately attacks.

Vlad decides to ignore the monster and celebrates Easter with his family, but then the Turks show up and are like "Hey, I know we've been offscreen for 20 years but we want money and also now we're conscripting dudes."

Vlad tries to negotiate his way out of things but he can't, and upon realizing he'll have to give up his son and subject him to the same horrors he himself faced, he goes back to the cave where a vampire killed his friends.

This time, instead of attacking, the vampire has a little talk with Vlad. The vampire, played by Charles Dance, is creepy as all hell and has a massive tongue that he licks Vlad with. Apparently Vlad tastes like a worthy successor, so he makes a deal: he'll give Vlad all his power, and if Vlad can go 72 hours without drinking human blood, he'll be restored to humanity.

So Vlad has 72 hours to beat the poo poo out of the Turks. And that's sort of where the movie gets stupid.

The movie follows its own rules up until that point, and Vlad seems like a pretty smart guy. But after a brief scene where he discovers his vampire powers (Predator Vision, Super Speed, Super Strength, turn into bats, healing), he doesn't immediately go and gently caress up all the Turks.

Which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, since anytime Vlad's fighting Turks as a vampire, he's completely invincible. Absolutely wrecks their poo poo. Kills 1000 people in a pretty fun scene that reminded me of the burly brawl scene from the second Matrix.

But Vlad is powerless by day, so you'd think he'd press his advantage. Rather than going to kill the Turkish leader, he tells his people to evacuate to a monastery, wasting a day.

There's naturally a bunch of scenes of "the hero is suffering; he wants to drink blood and he uses the power of his silver wedding band to burn himself and remind himself of his humanity." You know he's gonna gently caress it up or there wouldn't be a Dracula. You also know he's not gonna gently caress it up until day 3.

Anyway, because Vlad failed to press his advantage he's stuck in his tent in daylight during day 2 when his people are evacuating to a monastery. They get attacked, and one of his friends gets killed before Vlad's able to race out the minute the sun sets.

Yet still he doesn't go and gently caress up the Turks. He's completely invulnerable but he does nothing other than yell at his men to ready their defenses. This, in spite of the fact he's been shown as capable of single-handedly defeating the entire Turkish army.

But whatever. Day 3 starts and one of the priests at the monastery notices Vlad avoiding the daylight and realizes "Oh hey, the dude who can now kill thousands of Turks with no difficulty, but only by nightfall, is a vampire." He confronts Vlad, exposes him to daylight--and to the view of his people. Everyone declares him a monster and are a bunch of ungrateful dickheads.

Eventually they decide "gently caress it; might as well work with the vampire," and decide to fight.

Vlad goes into the bell tower of the monastery and discovers that he also has the power to control massive clouds of bats, and wrecks the poo poo of the Turkish vanguard by just battering them with enormous clouds of millions of bats. It's really pretty cool.

But while all this is happening, the Turks have snuck some dudes into the city to take Vlad's son and hold him hostage. Vlad discovers this too late and there's a ridiculous scene of him trying to save his wife as she falls off the bell tower to her death.

His wife tells Vlad to drink her blood, giving in to the monster, so that he can gain enough power to kill the remaining Turks and save their child. This also doesn't make a whole lot of sense since it's almost nightfall anyway, but at this point he's ravenous so he totally eats her and then has the power to control sunset.

He returns to the monastery to find all his people slain, though some are still in the process of dying. He converts all of them into vampires and they go and beat the poo poo out of the Turks and eat them. Everyone in the theater burst out laughing at this point.

There's a ridiculous scene where he fights the Turkish leader in a tent filled with like millions of silver coins so he's not at his strongest and his senses are overloaded. It's kind of like that scene at the end of Bloodsport where Van Damme gets sand in his eyes and he can't see Chong Li and he makes that ridiculous face and does the "I'm Van Damme and I'm blind" cry.

Anyway, he eventually wins and eats the guy, and his son is saved. Except all the other vampires he created want to eat his son, too. So the priest comes in at the last minute (no idea how he survived), rescues the son, and then Vlad declares himself "Dracula, Son of the devil" and allows the sun to rise. This melts all the other vampires and mortally wounds Vlad-cum-Dracula.

There's some weird sycophant guy that shows up and feeds the melty-lovely Dracula his own blood and restores him. Meanwhile, Dracula's son finds some not-dead Transylvanians to rule over and they have years of peace because the aggressive Turks are all dead.

Then the movie has its most bizarre twist. Dracula's still alive! In the 21st century! And wears a really nice suit as he sees a woman who looks like his dead wife (it's the same actress.)

He calls her m'lady and acts like a total creep but she somehow does not recognize him as a Redditor and seems intrigued. The two go off to have hot vampire sex or whatever, and then a restored Charles Dance is seen saying "Let the games begin," because apparently there's going to be more of these, and this was just the origin story to get Dracula into the modern day.

All in all, a very stupid movie, but it was a lot of fun.

Go Cardinals.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

This is an honest question, but who do you guys think is the worse broadcaster of the playoffs this year, Tbs or FOX/FS1?

I'd have to say TBS only because Fox has the ability to broadcast on network TV. Aside from that in both commentary and interviews their pretty much equal in my eyes.

That and TBS was wholly responsible for a delay in Game 1 of the ALCS.

FS1 missed several at bats that started and ended on the first pitch because they were busy talking about whatever bullshit they talk about

I would rather see a game with dumb announcers than NOT see a game with any announcers

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Speaking of announcers, why does the KC play by play guy not get excited at all? His team is in the postseason for the first time in three decades, has had numerous thrilling wins, and stands on the precipice of a World Series.

Yet every call from him is :effort:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Scob posted:

Matheny is starting Girchuk again against a rhp, reminds me of his allen craig fetish.

Grichuk can play defense, and it's not like Peter Bourjos or Oscar Taveras were particularly lighting the world on fire.

(I would have preferred Taveras tonight, though.)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

zakharov posted:

Tony Cruz will never play again

Yay Cards

Would AJP leading the cards to the WS at age 38 be the most obnoxious thing he's done?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Have we heard anything about how long Molina is going to be out for?

Nope. He did not travel to SF with the team today, though who's to say he won't magically be in the lineup tomorrow?

The Cardinals do seem to be exhibiting a preference for Tony Cruz instead of AJP, though, which I find just baffling.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Reporters are weird. Miklasz said Yadi wasn't there. Now DGoold says he was.

Either way I have a tough time seeing Yadi playing given yesterday. Unless MM is somehow dumb enough to play him with instructions not to swing the bat.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Per Matheny, Molina had a successful catch and throw session today, but has not swung a bat yet and will not be disabled.

I guess they're thinking he can be a defensive replacement?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Dingleberry Jones posted:

If the Royals and the Cardinals play in the World Series, would Kansas City just steal all the bases if Molina is out?

They'd certainly try. Adam wainwright and lance Lynn are both ridiculously hard to steal off of though.

Shelby Miller, on the other hand, is ridiculously easy--to the extent that not even Yadi was much of a deterrent. Lackey struggles in that department too.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Qwertyiop25 posted:

Lmao Pierzynski is batting 6th today

AJP has been virtually the same hitteras 2nd half Yadi. I guess that says more about the lovely offense than anything else, but AJP 6th is fine if Yadi 6th was.

e: what the hell, Oscar Taveras still isn't playing ahead of Grichuk.

HE LITERALLY DID THE BEST THING POSSIBLE IN HIS ONLY PLATE APPEARANCE THIS SERIES

FairGame fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 14, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ManifunkDestiny posted:

:siren: Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays for the Dodgers :siren:

So much for any possibility of them trading Yasiel Puig.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Nah it'll only take Willy Adames, Drew Smyly and Nick Franklin to do so

You write that jokingly, but I'm sure a bunch of people are going to do the GM version of the "player has left my team" flowchart, citing the lovely David Price trade as evidence that the Rays are better off without him.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Groucho Marxist posted:

There's this team 2 games away from the World Series that I hear likes to steal bases.

Can you imagine Jarrod Dyson getting brought into a game, and Mike Matheny going "OH YEA?" and removing AJP and putting in Yadi as a defensive replacement?

It'd be hilarious.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Randal Grichuk payin' dividends

(I like the dude but come the gently caress on, MM)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

FairGame posted:

Randal Grichuk payin' dividends

(I like the dude but come the gently caress on, MM)

Randal Grichuk paid dividends.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I liked how oscar taveras, Carlos Martinez, andmichael wacha never got into this game

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Having had a night to sleep on it, I don't think the 10th inning was Matheny's fault yesterday.

Randy Choate is ludicrously good vs. LHBs, and turns RHBs into Albert Pujols. Carlos Martinez is devastating to RHB (.622 OPS) and pretty bad against LHB (.829 OPS).

I'm sure everyone is fine with Choate vs. Crawford.

Once Crawford reached, it was obvious to all the world that Juan Perez was going to bunt, given the game situation. Yes, Perez is an RHB, but he also is bad and also was bunting, not swinging. Surely Choate can field a bunt!

As it turns out, Perez sucked at bunting and went down 0-2. I guess you could make an argument that Choate should have come out on 0-2, but that's kind of absurd. I'm not sure what Choate's #s are against lovely RHBs with an 0-2 count, but I absolutely understand leaving him in there. Then that got hosed up with the single, alas.

Blanco and Panik were both LHBs. Might as well leave Choate in.

I'm not sure if Matheny's plan was to have Choate face Panik with 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, or to IBB Panik and bring in Martinez. Either one would have made sense.

As it turns out, Randy Choate can't even get out a bad RHB on an 0-2 count, and also can't field a bunt. Which is a lovely way to lose a game, I guess, but I can understand the thought process of Mike Matheny on this one.

Choate just laid an egg. It happens.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

OctoberBlues posted:

What about Crawford's reverse split? (.320 BA vs LHP and .213 against RHP this season/.251 vs LHP and .239 vs RHP career)

I did not know about that. Though the career numbers aren't so much of a reverse split as they are "no difference".

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Um no the best Music+Baseball was in 2006 when John Cougar Mellencamp was trotted out to sing THIS IS OURRRRRRR COUNTRY before Game Two and the players didn't even bother to stop warming up and stuff.

There was a great picture of Placido Polanco and his ridiculous "it is only like 40 degrees out but I'm dressed like it's the Antarctic for some reason" outfit just looking quizzically at Mellencamp as he continued to warm up and toss balls and poo poo.

e: seriously, what the gently caress was up with Polanco and remotely cold weather? Guy would be so bundled up all the time!

FairGame fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 15, 2014

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Alan Trammell posted:

It's because you lose body heat through your head

I wonder if Polanco has the biggest head:body ratio of any player in mlb history. Other than Eddie Gaedel, I guess.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is Cruz actually better than Delmon in the OF? I agree that both should be in the lineup, but I always thought Delmon was the less bad of the two defensively.

e: Pete Kozma is the fuckin' best, but he's not as good as Joe Kelly and Scott Van Slyke having a staredown

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tadashi posted:

Professional sports writers screwing up the narrative, again, is pissing me off. The Giants won because of Matheny.

Saying the Giants won because of Matheny seems pretty lazy, and I say this as someone who can't stand Mike Matheny.

Randy Choate slated to face 3 lefties and 1 really lovely righty who was clearly bunting is an appropriate use of a LOOGY. Especially given that Carlos Martinez struggles against LHB.

Playing Grichuk yesterday was pretty dumb, but then Grichuk goes and homers, validating the bad decision.

The only thing Matheny could've done yesterday was maybe double switched Grichuk out in the 9th so that Maness could've pitched innings 9 and 10. Everything else is defensible.

The Cardinals lost Game 3 because their players didn't get the job done when put into a reasonable chance to succeed.

Separately, Matheny is loving terrible.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ReverendDre posted:

Really, with players named Chode and Maness (pronounced m'ANUS) there's no way FOX was going to allow them through to OTA TV anyway

Hey woah hahahaha I never noticed that and did you know there's this guy named Pujols? You know what that sounds like? Wow ahahaha

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

kiimo posted:

KC going crazy.

Oh my god

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Zythrst posted:

I'll never understand why its so hard to understand how the replay rules work.

Because by and large they haven't been enforced (which is a good thing) the way they are laid out in the rule books.

The whole "you get 1 in the first 6 innings, and another if you're right, and after 6 it's umpire's discretion" rule has largely turned into "Manager can ask umpire to review anything allowable at any time, regardless of what inning it is or if he still has a challenge."

Which is the way it oughta work, really. The goal of replay should be to minimize blown calls, not to turn use of replay into a strategic element. I am happy that umpires are reviewing more plays than strictly necessary by rule.

But as a result, it's not really that surprising that viewers don't understand who's initiating what, what's allowable by rule, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

h/t VivaElBirdos

• Locked thread