Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Craptacular! posted:

However, especially in the offseason doldrums, this kind of stuff eclipses Hunter Pence playing Diablo with fans.

This is from the last thread but he did a what now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Dude was drafted by the Giants in 2000. He had TJS in 2002. He was one of the worst pitchers in the league all during this time. Goes to Japan to around 2005 I want to say. Isn't very good. Goes to winter ball. Somehow learns the secret art of pitching well there and get pick up and bounced around in minors in a couple team in 2009-2010, before getting signed to the minors for the Giants in 2011. Gets called and becomes the best pitcher on (really loving good) staff. Makes the All-Star Game. Continues being good in 2012, should have been an All-Stat again, becomes the Giants ace in the postseason.

Then he sucks in 2013 and breaks his hand. Barely gets resigned (for less than his club option was), comes back as pretty average. Rocks in the post at least one more time.

Dude's been through a lot, he's well traveled you might say.

Also that the dude and his family loving love the Giants and SF and are super appreciative of this second chance he's gotten. He's told stories about how LA offered him a minor league contract in the 2011 offseason and he rejected it even though it was then his only option of a job. That goes a long way for dumb fans like me.

quote:

The Giants didn't call [Ryan] Vogelsong right away. The Dodgers did, and made him an offer. Vogelsong asked [Giants' minor league catching instructor Guillermo] Rodriguez to contact the Giants again and relay this message, in essence: I don't want to be a Dodger. I am a Giant. If you want me, I'll sign for whatever you want to pay me.
-----
"I wish the trade would've never happened," Vogelsong says. "I wish I'd been here this whole time. But if 10 years ago you came up to me and say, 'This is what you're going to have to go through to get to this point,' I'd go through it, because it's done nothing but make me a better person, a better baseball player, and it's made me appreciate being a major-league baseball player a whole lot more."

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Ryan-Vogelsong-s-long-strange-trip-to-SF-Giants-2368848.php

Akbar fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 8, 2014

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
I didn't even know this until Grant Brisbee posted it on twitter but evidently AJ Pierzynski's on the Cardinals.

St. Louis must burn.

e: just found this gif. gently caress yeah Will Clark.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 9, 2014

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Ambassador of Funk posted:

Yeah he posts here, and we were all talking about it when they picked him up because it was another reason to hate the Cardinals. I would have thought he would have picked it up indirectly from us at least at this point.

I usually don't follow the N/V thread during the regular season v:shobon:v

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Malaclypse posted:

Pretty sure Grant Brisbee is a Goon. He used the phrase "We're talking about Travis Ishikawa, again. Literally Travis Ishikawa."

He does follow Lowtax on Twitter. I'M ON TO YOU FRISBEE!!!

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Craptacular! posted:

You're off by a few years, and Japan Vogelsong was alright. He hated the DH and pitched closer to Giants Vogelsong (or the properly regressed median, anyway) than Pirates Vogelsong.

Also, he left Pittsburgh recently enough that there are still archives on Bucs Dugout complaining about him, and their archives don't go back as far as many SBN sites.

Wow that's a hell of a thing to see Vogey mashing a tater. The blood of Bonds flows strongly in him. He is a true Giant.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Bruce Bochy's a giant-headed genius, y'all.

I agree with a lot of this but there's also a lot of revisionism here. For instance, yes Bochy is doing the right thing by trusting rookie Joe Panik to fill the hole at 2B. However, we only got to this place after trying out the dessicated corpses of Brandon Hicks and Dan Uggla.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 9, 2014

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

FairGame posted:

Ssory Wei-Yin

Cody Ross forever a legend.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

angrygodofjebus posted:

Pierzynski got added to the Cardinals NLCS roster because he rules

Ah, the crusade is now justified.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

tarlibone posted:

If the Cardinals win the World Series, he'll have the most improbably cool story to tell about how his major league career ended.

Yeah but he'll be telling it to the 19 year-old at the bar he's trying to daterape.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Here's Grant Brisbee's take on the Cardinals mashing the "curtain call" button:

quote:

The gauntlet's been thrown. Cardinals fans demand a curtain call after third-inning home runs. The arms race is on. Giants fans, get together and work your magic. Demand two curtain calls.

You read me right. Two curtain calls. When a Giants player hits a ... whatever the park-adjusted equivalent of a home run is ... cheer until that player steps out of the dugout and doffs his cap. Then keep it up. Hitters, you have to be on board with this and ask for time. Fans, keep cheering until there's another curtain call. As. Long. As. It. Takes.

We're sitting here like a bunch of mooks, hand in our underwear, prepared to give just one curtain call? The hell is wrong with you?

Possible scenarios in which the double curtain call is appropriate:

• Home run
  • Successful sacrifice
  • When player returns to dugout after being lifted for a pinch-runner
  • Notable hustle on a dropped third-strike
  • Any 10-pitch at-bat that ends in an out

I know what you're thinking. If the series gets back to St. Louis, they'll be ready for three curtain calls. Except the way to defend against that is to never stop the last curtain call. We'll work in shifts. Stanley, you have Friday. Megan, you're on for Saturday. Just keep clapping, hoping that the Giants player who did the thing comes out of the dugout. It's like the Great Pumpkin, but for baseball. Just keep doing it, be earnest about it, and maybe he'll appear.

I'll start.

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP ATTA BOY SERGIO, GET 'EM NEXT TIME CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP C'MON OUT AND SHOW US THE TOP OF YOUR HEAD CLAP CLAP CLAP.

Goodness, my fandom is just ... I mean it's absolutely engorged. Clapping for welcome-not-unusual feats of strength is just so enriching. Try it. Seriously, try it.

Double curtain calls. Don't fail me on this.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Scob posted:

cards will make it to the world series and matheny will use the dh for yadi instead of the pitcher

A strained oblique kind of prevents you from swinging a bat or running or much of anything though.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

There are gonna be some astoundingly awful HoF selections as a result of the Giants dynasty.

Are you saying 2x World Champion and Cy Young winner Barry Zito is unfit for Cooperstown?

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Haha check out this rube

quote:

After the national anthem, players and coaches who were lined up on the field began returning to their respective dugouts. One player remained until the giant U.S. flag in the outfield was completely folded: St. Louis infielder Pete Kozma.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

kiimo posted:

I honestly don't really think Cowherd is one of those guys. He's usually right on with his takes. I used to hate him but he says a lot of things that make sense. Saying that he doesn't like the Orioles and Royals in the playoffs because he usually sides with big market teams in like, all sports, is a misguided opinion though.

And yes I enjoy getting mad at the radio during drive time.

Heck of a way to out yourself.

e:

Scob posted:

the way the royals and giants are winning pisses me off. it validates all the bunt bullshit.

edit: im so angry watching this poo poo

I'm not speaking for Yost but the Giants' situation with runners on first and second with no outs is actually one of the most optimal times to bunt: http://www.blessyouboys.com/2011/8/17/2365806/a-sabermetric-view-of-bunting

The decision to have Perez bunt Crawford over the previous at-bat is more questionable, but Perez is kind of useless offensively so I guess Bochy figured an out plus 90 feet is better than just an out.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

zakharov posted:

Boo him all you want, but most people here are going to agree that beanballs are stupid.

otoh, it's AJ Pierzynski.

• Locked thread