Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
In my state, it becomes an option after four or more, or after a DUI manslaughter, which I think is reasonable. However, lifetime revocations can still eventually be reinstated if you can convince the state motor vehicles board you have overcome your relevant issues and are a safe driver again. It's not easy by any stretch of the imagination, but I've seen them granted before, including in cases where they probably shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Dick Trauma posted:

At least in the U.S. drivers license suspensions and revocations do nothing. People continue to drive unless and until they are imprisoned which is uncommon.

This depends on the state, and often even on the individual county. I'm thinking of an individual case of someone who was driving on a lifetime suspension resulting from a DUI manslaughter conviction. He went to trial (stupidly, as these are generally the most straightforward cases possible) and got five years in prison. He will serve at least four and a half.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

When I was dispatching my cops were constantly pulling drivers over who were revoked. Sometimes their DMV entry showed multiple revocations spanning year after year as the license was extra-super-mega-revoked upon each subsequent violation. On occasion their car would get towed but generally they would get a licensed driver to collect the car and they'd pay their fine and keep on truckin'. One fellow had six DUIs when we nabbed him for lucky number seven, and the only reason he stopped driving for a while was that his car had gone unregistered since the 1970s and we impounded it.

Any crime related to substance abuse and addiction is unlikely to be affected by increasingly harsh penalties, but by that measure people who don't give a poo poo are similarly unaffected. You can discuss penalties until you're blue in the face but the responsiveness is on the part of the offender and when it comes to people's desire to drink (and to drive drunk) you won't accomplish anything.

Well I can we can go back and forth on deterrence forever, but I can pretty well guarantee you that the guy in my earlier post won't be driving anywhere for awhile, license or no.

I don't favor a BAC based standard for permanent revocations, since that ignores the increasingly large problem of people driving around impaired by painkillers or huge doses of alprazolam. I think number of offenses is the way to go.

• Locked thread