Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to be a shitshow of a thread. Try to tell people the difference between driving after 24 hours of work and two drinks. Without bringing local law enforcement's prejudices into question.

I really like the idea that one can interact with the community at a bar and use public transportation. (please let this happen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If it is impossible for you to get behind the mentality of someone who decided to drive drunk, you might not have the best perspective to preventing the problem of driving drunk. Somewhere in High School it became a moral panic driven into a lot of student drivers during training by gruesome videos and public speeches. This makes it an acceptable moral target for the most draconian measures from goons that normally would advocate a less punitive measures as the American justice system is incredibly punitive as it is.

If anything, a slight lapse in judgment killing people might highlight how stupid it is to base our entire transit system around individually piloted battering rams that are incredibly dangerous regardless of if a drink was consumed or not.

That guy earlier from Germany that advanced the reasonable solution of having a test administered by a physician before your suspension would be lifted sounds like a really decent idea focused on preventing future problems instead of repeated financial hammerings to the skull.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

So, often pro-gun folks point out that cars are deadly and require just as much responsibility as guns, and are pooh-pooed by people who say "well you need a car to do things!!"

I guess this is the other side of that coin. Despite misuse of a gun leading in many cases to a lifetime ban from their use, proposing doing the same thing with a car leads to a lot of crying from simps. "But people need their cars!" :qq:

Yeah, and the people you ran over needed their lives. Maybe the truth is that no one wants to be held accountable for anything, ever.

The poor can't hire someone to drive for them. Generally speaking you don't need a gun to hold down a job. This is not a thread about gun arguments.

Captain Mog posted:

Scaring people is an effective deterrent and always has been.

I'm laughing at this one. Tell me more how punitive punishment terrifies people into compliance.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

An economy that requires drunk potential killers to drive cars is an unsustainable and an immoral one. I don't see any need to worry about such drunks getting to work. Guns are dangerous, cars are dangerous, but in both cases the victims are dead and I don't see how "but we need them to get to our JIAAAABZ" :qq: is worth engaging with.

Are you trying to erect flaccid straw men to joust at for your own self esteem or perhaps you might be young/insulated enough to never have actually met someone that drove drunk once.

I seriously agree with you half of the time when you're not trying to spin outrage out of a muddled issue.

• Locked thread