Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Should be a single offense and you're done. Anyone can make a mistake and be involved in an accident, but if you drink and then choose to drive, well that's your own drat fault and your own conscious decision to endanger yourself and all those around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Modern Day Hercules posted:

No. Most drunk drivers are people who are in one place and need to be in a different place that is some significant distance away. They didn't get liquored up so they can have the chance to run over some old ladies for fun. They just need to be somewhere else and they also took too much of a drug that makes it hard to make rational decisions. This kind of bullshit thinking is why we don't have any effective methods at stopping drunk driving in most of the country. You want to assign some kind of forethought to the act, like a drunk driver, prior to his night out would stop and consider "You know what, I might have to rethink my night of careening down the street without a care in the world because I heard they're taking licenses away". No they're not, they're going to pop on out to the bar for a beer or two, nothing to worry about. Some of them end up having more than two, because again, those things make it hard to make rational decisions. By the end of the night it wouldn't matter if a DUI was a capital offense. In a drunk mind it's an easy money gamble because you're a great driver and what are the chances you'll even be pulled over. You haven't seen a cop in ages.

Consuming a substance that is well documented to cause impaired judgement should under no circumstances excuse someone from the consequences of decisions made under the influence of said substance. If anything, it should make them even more accountable. If you're choosing to partake of altering substances like that, the burden is on you to not harm anyone else while under then influence.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Volcott posted:

It would just be far too easy to blow over the limit if you decide to have two stiff drinks with dinner instead of one. Mistakes happen. After getting a DUI, I'd assume most people would be more careful about their drinking habits.

Also, mass transit is a nice idea and all, but you'd need to demolish half the country and build it up from scratch to make it something you could realistically implement here in the States. And it's just not ever going to work in sparsely populated areas like you find in the middle of the country.

If you've had a stiff drink with dinner, you have no business behind the wheel of a car for a few hours. Let someone else drive. You can't just say "mistakes happen" when someone makes a knowing and willing choice to deliberately endanger others' lives while operating a multiton death machine while under the influence.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The presence or absence of public transit really has no bearing on "how harshly should people with DUIs get punished". If you live in an area without adequate public transit, then you need to make other arrangements before drinking heavily. Have a designated driver, call a cab, call a family member; anything at all. Saying that "oh there's no buses running or train stops nearby, guess I'll just drive drunk" is not an excuse.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Amused to Death posted:

My friends are all drunk, my family is all drunk, don't have $45 for a cab. Now what do I do?

Wait til you sober up instead of endangering innocent people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hobbesmaster posted:

Sleeping it off in your car is a good way to get a DUI.

Then don't sleep in your car. If the scenario is "had too many drinks while out at dinner", then stay at the restaurant and socialize, take a walk around the local shopping center, if the restaurant is near/in one.

Or, ideally, have a designated driver and bypass the entire issue.

Seriously, what is so hard to grasp about "don't drive drunk and risk killing people"? I keep seeing all these justifications of why someone would have to drive drunk and they are all lousy excuses that just proves that you're a sociopath with zero understanding of how other people's lives matter.

• Locked thread