Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008
I blew a 0.1 when I got my DUI at 22 years old. I live in an urban area and always walk to the bar district when I want to drink but this time I drove to the suburbs for a special occasion. I've never been pulled over before or since but that time I was because I had a headlight out. I was surprised that I was over the limit since I never had any reference to compare my BAC to how I felt. It cost me about 4 grand as well as my job.

Now I know that if I feel even buzzed I've had too much to drive, and I'll never get a DUI again. Any moralist who advocates for permanent license revocation after 1 DUI is naive. Imagine all the human potential you waste if everyone who has knowingly or unknowingly driven over the limit could never drive again. I'm an EMT. I hosed up and cleaned up. There's no way that the benefit of keeping me off the road forever would outweigh the benefit of a whole career based on helping others. I feel awful for doing something that endangered the lives of others but I won't feel bad for being human, making mistakes, and learning from them.

The fact is, under a one and done policy we would all lose the skills of a ton of good firefighters, police, and medics. I'm sure other people can share similar anecdotes about their industry as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008

SedanChair posted:

Or don't, because drunk fuckups like you run the country.

:dealwithit:

disheveled posted:

A few friends of mine owned well-calibrated breathalyzers for their house parties (biochem grad students can be special people) and I learned that at 0.1 BAC I cleanly pass every field sobriety test except smell. Speech, steps and turn, one leg, nystagmas, you name it. I've never driven drunk or anywhere close to it, but I understand how someone could make the mistake, because I would have never pegged myself as above the legal limit at that stage. To be clear, the legal limit should be exactly where it is, but If you're calling people a "drunk fuckup" for that, you've got a perspective problem.

If everybody had the opportunity to do a test like this a lot of people would avoid DUI. Well-intentioned people who aren't saying "gently caress it I'll never be caught" but drive over the limit due to the combination of ignorance and judgement beginning to become impaired as they approach .08 BAC. Seems like this would be a more effective piece of education than the scare tactics that people with an attitude that encourages them to drive while shitfaced don't listen to anyways. I agree that we should throw the book at those people. Unfortunately there's really no good way to prevent people who want to engage in very risky behaviors from doing so. All we can do is react accordingly.

• Locked thread