Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009
I used to work in a bar that decided they'd get all responsible since we were in a university district and install a breathalyzer as suggested here so often.

It actually wound up being great for sales but we took it down after a couple weeks anyway; what happened was that people started using it to "prove" how drunk they were and start "contests" and frankly if we had kept it up longer someone would have died from alcohol poisoning, we'd already seen a few .35's "inspired" by the thing.

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Sir_Substance posted:

I know this might seem like a bandaid solution, but why was this bar selling booze to people blowing .35?

I'm not sure that's even legal in Australia. I'm pretty sure there's some mandatory cutoff/duty of care thing somewhere it's illegal to sell alcohol to someone who is visibly drunk. Part of getting your RSA, I'm sure.

Maybe your bar was loving stupid? :shrug:

We weren't selling to people blowing .35, we'd cut them off when they blew something nuts like that. (If we saw it which was another real mess of worms, it wasn't constantly overseen or anything.) People would order extra shots in advance with the stated intent of seeing who could blow the highest, come in "pregamed" from the bar next door when we tried cracking down on that so they could look like they were drinking less when they tried to blow it... whole thing got really stupid really fast.

EDIT: In the name of constructiveness, if one of these came out that did the whole las vegas jackpot thing whenever someone blew above .2 so we could call a cab and cut them off, and took a picture in case they tried to duck the cutoff that'd probably make these useful; but I'm going to bet that all the ones for bars that are made continue to be basically paid bar games you put a buck in the machine to totally not play a drinking game with.

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Oct 20, 2014

• Locked thread