Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Three strikes and you're out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

I think if you blow over the legal limit (0.08 BAC) once, you lose your license for life.

.08 isn't really that high, at least in terms of how a person feels.(yes I'm aware studies have shown .08 leads to a higher incidence of accidents)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Even with a much better public transit system in place, public transit is just never going to an option for a lot of the US.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Step 2: Aggressively target environments where alcohol is consumed to instill the message that you don't have to drink to have a good time in an attempt to roll back the last 2,200 years or so of alcohol lifestyle marketing making beer/wine/etc synonymous and implicitly/explicitly needed for fun/class/sophistication/etc.

Fixed that for you. I mean booze has been a huge part of having fun in social situations in the western world since the Greek polis and the Roman republic. Hell, we're drinking substantially less these days than people in the revolutionary war era.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Old Kingdom egypt too so peg it at 5000 years.

Mesopotamia as well. People just like being inebriated off alcohol and in the western world it's seriously ingrained into being part of having a good time in social situations. It's good for social situations, drinking is something you can actually do and the end result is for most people it makes them more sociable, happier, ect.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 9, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Everyday Lurker posted:

2. Riding the bus gets pretty expensive relative to what it offers. For the $5.00 I had to spend on round-trip fare, I could have put that money in my gas tank and had the freedom to drive directly to the store and come back in under 15 minutes versus the 45 minutes to an hour I would had spent on the bus, waiting for the bus, etc. Of course, this is from the perspective of someone who already had a car and the means to pay for insurance, registration, repairs, etc. For someone who doesn't have a car or can't get one, they have no choice.

Bus rides are $2.50 a pop there? Dang, they just raised to $1.50 here at the beginning of the year.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

jivjov posted:

The presence or absence of public transit really has no bearing on "how harshly should people with DUIs get punished". If you live in an area without adequate public transit, then you need to make other arrangements before drinking heavily. Have a designated driver, call a cab, call a family member; anything at all. Saying that "oh there's no buses running or train stops nearby, guess I'll just drive drunk" is not an excuse.

My friends are all drunk, my family is all drunk, don't have $45 for a cab. Now what do I do?

hobbesmaster posted:

You know you can get a DUI on a bicycle. Same penalty against your drivers license too. Same goes for boats and horses.

Yeah but if you're so drunk you get a DUI on a bicycle we should all thank the heavens you weren't actually driving a car. If you get a DUI on a horse you probably have the best story to tell and are potentially a hero.

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 10, 2014

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

How badly does one need that?

Quite badly in many cases probably given alcohols almost ubiquitous nature as part of socialization when going out, or as a stress reliever.

I think punishments should also be on a scale going by BAC, not just a line where if you're over it doesn't matter in the eyes of the law if you're .08 which for many people would barely have them buzzed or .19 which for almost everyone you're going to be drunk.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Trent posted:

Oh, boo loving hoo. If you can't socialize or enjoy your life while actually experiencing it, you should make arrangements. Raping and pillaging have been ubiquitous throughout human history too, as have many other dangerous and immoral acts and that goes absolutely no distance towards making them OK, jesus gently caress. I suppose that if you knew you had AIDS it would be ok to gently caress everyone you could because, hey, human nature and ubiquitous historical precedent! Risk be damned, I was being social!

ell your argument of rape and AIDS is totally convincing to not have some drinks with friends on Friday and drive at at a 0.08 BAC

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

The argument for a strict policy also means that in theory basically 85% of the country would be banned from driving because really, almost everyone has driven drunk(at least the legal definition of drunk) once, a good deal of people have done it multiple times.

quote:

I otherwise cannot rationalize in my head the thought process that has to go through your head if you think 'having fun' is more important than safety on the road.

I think the same thing basically every minute as drivers plow past me on my bicycle while texting on their phone, thinking crosswalk signals mean "turn right now" and go 20mph+ over the speed limit. It's like people are myopic and also doesn't consider any of these things that big of a deal, because basically everyone has done it. Sometimes I think drunk driving becomes a scapegoat for everyone else's normalized terrible driving. Distracted driving and speeding causes thousands of deaths a year on our roads, but there hasn't been the same campaign of shaming against it as drunk driving. Even with drunk driving, most people drunk driving are those who are legally drunk, who personally probably think they're good and under the limit. In people's minds, even in PSA ads against drunk driving, the person driving is always drunk, staggering to their car, ect. Everyone knows that's wrong, if someone is dumb enough to drive while knowingly that drunk nothing is going to stop them, the only hope is to catch them, yet they receive the disproportional amount of public awareness campaigning and the basis of laws is against them.

tl;dr you're all loving terrible drivers and break the law constantly. Sincerely, a cyclist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

Yeah but it's usually just a civil infraction with a fine.

• Locked thread