Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I know SA has pretty strong opinions on drunk driving. Where would you personally draw the line?

The number I've pulled out of my rear end is three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
A one strike you're out policy just doesn't seem realistic to me.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

jivjov posted:

Consuming a substance that is well documented to cause impaired judgement should under no circumstances excuse someone from the consequences of decisions made under the influence of said substance. If anything, it should make them even more accountable. If you're choosing to partake of altering substances like that, the burden is on you to not harm anyone else while under then influence.

It would just be far too easy to blow over the limit if you decide to have two stiff drinks with dinner instead of one. Mistakes happen. After getting a DUI, I'd assume most people would be more careful about their drinking habits.

Also, mass transit is a nice idea and all, but you'd need to demolish half the country and build it up from scratch to make it something you could realistically implement here in the States. And it's just not ever going to work in sparsely populated areas like you find in the middle of the country.

Volcott fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Oct 9, 2014

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

ReV VAdAUL posted:

Perhaps, as with teen pregnancy, preemptive education is better than punishment? Creating a culture where drunk driving is considered by your fellow patrons to be bad enough they stop you without the police getting involved at all seems the best course. What changes would need to be made to enable this?

We'd need to find a way to weaponize shame, basically.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Millions of people have a drink with dinner, remain under the legal limit, and drive home without incident every day. A zero tolerance policy in this instance would be dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

darthzeta88 posted:

My friend had a few tickets and had to go to court. I told him about the right to travel act and the no drivers license got thrown out

Are you a sovereign citizen? That's an argument they like to use.

• Locked thread