Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

At least in the U.S. drivers license suspensions and revocations do nothing. People continue to drive unless and until they are imprisoned which is uncommon.

This is because being permanently unable to drive can be a huge handicap in much of America. Driving may only be a privilege, not a right - but in much of the country it is a requirement for even many basic tasks, doubly so for poor people.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

One.

It is so dangerous and the consequences for innocent people can literally be death. The fact that it's tolerated at all is mind blowing. I'd rather pay for some drunk idiot to collect a welfare check because he can't drive than I would have said idiot on the road.

Do you also suggest giving g life sentence without parole to any and all people convicted if murder, manslaughter, or negligent homicide? "Zero tolerance" laws are always weird to me because they usually end up being much more severe than punishments for actually worse crimes are. Most of the time they turn out to be about appeasing social outrage lobbies rather than solving real problems in sensible ways according to proper priorities. Driving drunk is bad and all but I'm pretty sure people who intentionally kill people with their car while sober don't get permanent license revocations on the first offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread