Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It isn't as big a deal as people make it out to be and the legal limit is laughably low. Why have draconian punishments in this one specific case? Especially when we know that draconian punishments don't work. Energy is better spent trying to improve local infrastructure through improved zoning and improved public transportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
We need to fix the cops. By eliminating them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Beep boop. I am a robot. People should only drink alone in their own homes. Beep boop.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I do the same thing. The way I avoid driving drunk is to invite my friends over to my place or a bar within walking distance of where I live so they can drive drunk. I'm a good friend and I am positively contributing to solving drunk driving.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I've really liked MARTA from the handful of times I've visited Atlanta. Granted, I'm usually just going from ATL to the CDC or downtown/convention center but it worked great for me. Seemed a little empty/underutilized but it was very well maintained.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

PT6A posted:

For some reason, in Canada, this is extremely rare even in cities with decent transit systems. The LRT in Calgary runs almost along the airport boundary, but they didn't build a stop at the airport itself. Montreal has a great Metro, but, hey, no airport stop. My suspicion in both cases is that the taxi lobby threw an almighty bitch at any plans to connect the airport by train, and city councils are completely beholden to the wishes of taxi companies for Reasons.

It's because Canadian airports are almost universally super far away from the city proper. Like, really really far away. YVR is the only Canadian airport I've ever been to that is even somewhat close to the city proper.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
When I got my underage drinking ticket, I found out I was in the top 12% of drinkers. I drink a lot more now, so I'm probably way up there. Just doing my part to keep the economy strong.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How many times should someone be able to text and drive before we take away their license? I'm thinking just once and if you see someone driving and not using a phone (hands free also significantly impaired) you should be obligated to report it to the police.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
And yet one of those activities carries a life-destroying stigma and massive fines with zero tolerance whereas the other is more, eh, it happens. It isn't that drunk driving is good (obviously) but the punishments for drunk driving vs. tired driving or texting while driving are so absurdly out-of-whack it should give you pause. When I was younger, I probably drove while over 0.08, but I've never texted while driving and when I've been tired after a super long shift, I've called people to pick me up. Hell, I've even pulled over during some seriously bad weather. Why? Because the latter three impacted my driving more than the former. But only one of those activities will get you sent to jail. Zero tolerance policies, in general, are stupid. Zero tolerance policies that target certain bad behaviors while totally ignoring other bad behaviors that are just-as-bad-if-not-worse are remarkably dumb. Throw in a little biased policing with a strong moral message so people feel self-righteous. Yeah, those numbers totally look in keeping with the racial make-up of America, right?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

deratomicdog posted:

What is that chart measuring? DUIs per percent population?

Percentages of Drivers Aged 21 or Older Who Reported a Past Year Arrest for DUI, by Race/Ethnicity: 2002 and 2003. Sorry, I thought the legend was included in the image (phoneposting is dumbposting).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The statistics I've seen are absolute. So, for the moment, we can use abstract numbers. In X percentage of total accidents, the driver was drunk and in X percentage of accidents the driver was texting. The notion of factoring in total time, if anything, makes texting while driving even worse. Someone texting while driving is only distracted for a few seconds. Someone driving drunk is impaired the entire time. If the same total amounts of accidents are caused by texting and drunk driving, then texting while driving ought be punished much, much more severely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The only good zero tolerance policy is my zero tolerance policy.

• Locked thread