Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

HonorableTB posted:

MARTA stuff

Despite living in the Atlanta area for a few years now, I haven't had the opportunity to actually ride MARTA. I have, on the other hand, had the chance to ride one of several separate bus systems that sprang up in response to MARTA. Three of the counties that refused to join eventually discovered that they, too, had to have some form of transit - just not one that was controlled by people in Atlanta for the benefit of "those people."

So while my car was in the shop, I had to ride the bus to pick up parts, shop for groceries, etc., and came to a few conclusions along the way:

1. Compared to MARTA, Cobb Community Transit is hilariously gimped - regular service covers only the I-75 corridor and a big swath of southern Cobb County. No service to Acworth or much of Kennesaw. No service to East Cobb, the wealthiest and whitest part of the county. No service to the rural western half of the county. That means if your car breaks down and you need to make a doctor's appointment near loving Johnson Ferry Road, you're hosed unless you pay for a cab.

2. Riding the bus gets pretty expensive relative to what it offers. For the $5.00 I had to spend on round-trip fare, I could have put that money in my gas tank and had the freedom to drive directly to the store and come back in under 15 minutes versus the 45 minutes to an hour I would had spent on the bus, waiting for the bus, etc. Of course, this is from the perspective of someone who already had a car and the means to pay for insurance, registration, repairs, etc. For someone who doesn't have a car or can't get one, they have no choice.

3. The myth about buses being an Ebola-like vector for spreading Negroidal pandemonium and chaos is bullshit. People are just trying to get to work, from work, to the stores, etc. I never saw a single stolen flatscreen TV during my time spent on the bus.

4. Atlanta drivers are poo poo. 40,000-pound buses can't stop on a dime, no matter how many times you cut in front of it.

5. Coming from a smaller city with an even smaller transit system that used smaller, crappier buses and a 6am-6pm Monday-Friday schedule, CCT felt refreshingly modern and big city-like.

In short, taking the bus and walking along busy 6-7-laned roads with lovely crosswalks and lovely or nonexistent sidewalks just to get something to eat or, God forbid, get to work, sucks. It's a troublesome activity that's gleefully bypassed by anyone who can afford themselves a car. And we expect people with DUIs or a few too many beers to use public transit. There are too many underlying problems that have to be fixed for that to happen.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Just require people blow start their car with the amount of time the unit must be installed increasing with each incident. That or get the loving self driving cars already. I'd loving love to take a nap on long trips.

I can see self-driving cars being a thing. Too many drivers already treat driving as an afterthought or evil necessity. Might as well have a self-driving car set up as a quasi-living room inside where you can gently caress off in general until you arrive at your destination. Or until some hacker overrides the self-driving program and sends your car hurtling into oncoming traffic.

However, I also see self-driving cars as an expensive thing that'll price the poor out of driving, period, once legislation sweeps non-autonomous cars off the roads.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Amused to Death posted:

Bus rides are $2.50 a pop there? Dang, they just raised to $1.50 here at the beginning of the year.

Aforementioned small city with the 6-to-6 schedule charges $1 per ride or $0.50 with the student discount. I didn't have a car throughout high school and my first couple of semesters of college, so I appreciated that.

• Locked thread