Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

PT6A posted:

It's not like they're expensive and easily circumventable by getting a sober person to start your car, or leaving your car running while you drink.

Seriously, the only solution is to make it easier for people to drink without driving. Neighbourhood pubs, 24-hour transit, better taxi availability, etc.

I know a lot of people with interlocks and it's best use is to force people into prioritizing their drinking. Yeah, maybe there's the dude with the sober friend who is a pushover or doesn't care but most people learn to keep their drinking at home and not if they need to work the next day or bike more. What's bulls hit about interlocks is the service fees they slap on use+installation in my opinion.

I'd be fine with just taking drivers licenses away but a lot of jobs have mandatory requirements of a valid drivers license even if you don't have to drive for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

jivjov posted:

The presence or absence of public transit really has no bearing on "how harshly should people with DUIs get punished". If you live in an area without adequate public transit, then you need to make other arrangements before drinking heavily. Have a designated driver, call a cab, call a family member; anything at all. Saying that "oh there's no buses running or train stops nearby, guess I'll just drive drunk" is not an excuse.

Drunk driving is a policy issue, not a morality play.

"Is there any way else to get around town?" is a valid factor to take into any approaach to the issue,

Unless you think you can stop a US population in the aggregate from getting drunk in general which is hilarious.

• Locked thread